Why cardio after weight training?

Home / Forums / Fat loss / Why cardio after weight training?

• This topic is empty.
  • Author

Im trying to loose the last 12 kgs and Ive been doing cadio at home (45min on eliptical)before I hit the gym in the evenings.

Is this totally wrong and why?

thanks

shayne

December 27, 2007 at 10:32 pm #5700

I think most would agree this is not the best time to do cardio.

Why? ‘Cause it compromises the weight training season.

Better to do your cardio after the gym.

There’s a lot of debate on whether cardio first thing in the morning on an empty stomach is the way to go but I’d give it a try. Those in favor feel that as the body is in a ‘fat burning’ mode while you sleep you can give this a push along by getting into cardio on waking. Cup of java and a scoop of whey in water then into the cardio.

You should also maximise the amount of walking and other incidental activity you do during the day.

December 28, 2007 at 2:14 am #5701

I always thought keep cardio days seperate from weight training days, and to cardio when ur body is most anabolic. Doing it after rising, or after training is asking for muscle catabolism.

December 28, 2007 at 5:08 am #5702

I too do cardio on off weight days.
    Remember diet is the key, hit the weights hard and supplement weight loss with cardio.

January 14, 2008 at 9:58 pm #5703

jay cutler’s newest dvd says that cardio AFTER weights will actually make you bigger, because you’ll be hungrier and able to eat more. so for weight loss, thats not the best idea.

i like cardio first thing in the am, before breakfast. but i’m also a big fan of low rest periods between sets. heavy as you can still for however many you want to do (i like 8-12) with 60-90 seconds between sets. a little longer between exercises.

and supersets for quads.. thats a gnarley cardio workout in itself. (front squats/leg extensions, squats/lunges, that kind of thing)
    honestly, who wants massive ‘cutler-quads’ anyway? have you seen the man walk? looks SO uncomfortable – having to step AROUND your own thigh… oh yes please! =P

couple those that with hydroxycut hardcore and you’re a fat burning machine. once you get used to your metabolism going so fast.

-J-

January 15, 2008 at 10:49 am #5704

@musclejoe wrote:

jay cutler’s newest dvd says that cardio AFTER weights will actually make you bigger, because you’ll be hungrier and able to eat more. so for weight loss, thats not the best idea.

i like cardio first thing in the am, before breakfast. but i’m also a big fan of low rest periods between sets. heavy as you can still for however many you want to do (i like 8-12) with 60-90 seconds between sets. a little longer between exercises.

and supersets for quads.. thats a gnarley cardio workout in itself. (front squats/leg extensions, squats/lunges, that kind of thing)
    honestly, who wants massive ‘cutler-quads’ anyway? have you seen the man walk? looks SO uncomfortable – having to step AROUND your own thigh… oh yes please! =P

couple those that with hydroxycut hardcore and you’re a fat burning machine. once you get used to your metabolism going so fast.

-J-

It was a good post until this

couple those that with hydroxycut hardcore. ๐Ÿ™„

January 15, 2008 at 12:53 pm #5705

@musclejoe wrote:

honestly, who wants massive ‘cutler-quads’ anyway?

me, ill have his upper aswell while im at it

January 15, 2008 at 9:54 pm #5706

I’ll never do cardio prior to weights for one reason:
    – Because I’ll weaken my lifts and not be able to focus entirely on what I’m doing.
    That’s it.

I too generally do cardio on off days as well, but every now and then particularly when I feel really amped for what ever reason I’ll go for a run or beat the bag for a bit straight after weights.

But like MJ said, sometimes you can make your weights session half cardio if you like. I do this every now and then just for something different. And no bullshit I find the weight cardio sessions far more taxing than most other cardios.

And yeah, HYDROXYCUT??? C’mon MJ. You sure your name isn’t Muscletech not Musclejoe?? ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†

January 15, 2008 at 11:07 pm #5707

alright.. you got me.. my name really is muscletech.. rats! how’d you figure it out?

seriously though, it worked for me. maybe it won’t work for you i don’t know. you’ve got to try things before you condemn them, (or promote them whichever the case may be)[/img]

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.