where to start….complete newbie!

Home / Forums / Diet and Nutrition / where to start….complete newbie!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author

Hi I neeeed help in laying out a healthy eating plan for me to just lose some fat weight…. a quick bio,
    I am 28, male 169cm and 83kg B.M.I. is 29!!
    I started riding my bike to work (28km round trip) in the last 4 weeks to help get a few kg off but so far not a single kilo has dropped, I am doing about 7hrs of riding a week at about 130km distance, my legs are killing me 😡
    I am not eating much just oats in the morning, 2L of water through out the day and other things like baked beans and small clean dinner meals, I try to go to bed on an empty stomach so I don’t store any fat.
    I have read quite a few posts on the net and to be honest I have no idea whats what when it comes to talking all the mumbo jumbo with calories, simple carbs, soluble fibre insoluble fibre, protein, insulin and all that other stuff
    a few words of advise to point me in the right direction would deffinately be a good start!
    I should also add that Im a shift worker in a family with 2 young kids one of which is teething and making 6hrs of sleep seem like a gift
    I need to drop 13kg to reach my goal weight of 70kg where i will be starting a muscle building course maybe a 12 week challenge to kick start it, but I want to have a clean slate and my diet all in order before that begins

December 31, 2008 at 4:04 pm #7561

@slugger wrote:

I am doing about 7hrs of riding a week at about 130km distance, my legs are killing me 😡
    I am not eating much just oats in the morning, 2L of water through out the day and other things like baked beans and small clean dinner meals, I try to go to bed on an empty stomach so I don’t store any fat

You need to start eating more. Our bodies were designed to survive famine, not built to burn fat – so you have to set up an environment where you body can burn fat for fuel.

Because you are doing alot of riding, you are burning way more calories than you are consuming and you are hording onto the fat you have. (to put it simply, your body thinks its starving so it slows down its metabolism)

Without going too crazy at first, try and stick to 4-6 small meals per day. Base each meal with a lean meat/chicken/fish and then add in some rice, potatos or even a good quality bread that has lots of grains. This is the simpliest way to start. Eating this way will rev up your metabolism, give you energy and you will see the pounds start melting away.

Dont worry about going to bed on an empty stomach. This is a complete BS myth. The body doesnt know what time it is, and you want to feed it nutrients so it can repair. If you eat a clean diet it doesnt matter when you eat. Just eat!

December 31, 2008 at 11:29 pm #7562

Hit the weights too, the more muscle you have the more calories you will burn.

January 1, 2009 at 5:46 am #7563

Two Great answers! 😀

January 1, 2009 at 6:40 am #7564

thanks I never thought I was eating too little I kind of guessed if I was not eating my body would have no other choice but to have to eat my big fat guts!
    I will organise a 6 meal a day plan and get eating and start pumping iron, my legs feel a lot better now that I have had a 2 day break from riding.

January 3, 2009 at 10:23 am #7565

[quote=”bodytek

You need to start eating more. Our bodies were designed to survive famine, not built to burn fat – so you have to set up an environment where you body can burn fat for fuel.

Because you are doing alot of riding, you are burning way more calories than you are consuming and you are hording onto the fat you have. (to put it simply, your body thinks its starving so it slows down its metabolism)

[/quote]

Can you please direct me to the science behind this statement that when you are in caloric deficit you need to eat more to lose weight due to metabolism – Thanks.

January 3, 2009 at 12:17 pm #7566

@DanOz wrote:

@bodytek wrote:

Can you please direct me to the science behind this statement that when you are in caloric deficit you need to eat more to lose weight due to metabolism – Thanks.

Metabolism is far more complicated that simply Calories in VS Calories Out. If it were as simple as that, everybody could get ripped by eating 2 weetbix a day, and doing hours of cardio. The human body simply doesnt work that way.

There are lots of hormones (Insulin, T3, GH, IGF-1, Leptin and many others) as well as enzymes that control metabolism. Also how much muscle mass we have to begin with determines this. If the diet does not support basic metabolic functions, then we cant ask it to burn body fat and preserve muscle mass. It simply slows down, and turns off all its metabolic machinery in order to survive.

Theres a difference between a slight calorie deficit (300-500 calories) in a diet that supplies everything necessary for repair/recovery and growth…….over a chronic calorie deficit (which is what is happening in this case) where there is a very high calorie deficit/high energy output and low quality and quantity of nutrients coming in to support the required functions.

Hope that helps.

January 4, 2009 at 1:50 am #7567

very good answer bodytek.

January 4, 2009 at 6:40 am #7568

I found a good series of flash videos from milo sarcev he explains things from a very basic point of view which is great for us newbies
    heres the link, unfortunately you need to register to view the videos but at least it’s free!

http://irondungeon.org/forum/index.php?topic=2735.0

January 4, 2009 at 9:36 am #7569

Milos has no credibility with me.

January 4, 2009 at 9:12 pm #7570

@DanOz wrote:

[quote=”bodytek

Can you please direct me to the science behind this statement that when you are in caloric deficit you need to eat more to lose weight due to metabolism – Thanks.[/quote]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10838463?dopt=Abstract

The cops in this study were over-weight although they were already on a hypocaloric diet. They ate next to nothing all day and then pigged (excuse pun) out at the evening meal.

January 5, 2009 at 5:07 am #7571

@StormTrooper wrote:

Milos has no credibility with me.

And that is because…?

January 5, 2009 at 7:23 am #7572

I’ll go into it when I can be bothered.
    Luke Wood for one was looking in top condition prior to last years Olympia until Milos got a hold of him..

January 5, 2009 at 9:10 am #7573

@StormTrooper wrote:

I’ll go into it when I can be bothered.
    Luke Wood for one was looking in top condition prior to last years Olympia until Milos got a hold of him..

He certainly didn’t get Luke to the stage like he should have.

January 6, 2009 at 6:41 am #7574

Yep and Dennis Wolfe also went backwards under Milos’s tutorage.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.