When to eat carbs?

Home / Forums / Diet and Nutrition / When to eat carbs?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author

When do you eat your carbs?

Only early in the day?

All through the day?

Popular opinion would have us avoiding carbs in the evening. Has anyone done the opposite?

November 27, 2008 at 10:12 pm #7396

I used to eat em at night, put on weight too fast.

I do carbs in morning, pre, and post workout. Thats it. Since I train at 4-4:30 I try my best to get my potatos down before 6-6:30pm. Any other meal is just protien and fats with veges.

potatos and oats are really all I have.

November 28, 2008 at 12:06 am #7397

Even when im dieting for a show I eat my carbs at every meal. 1 through 6. Last meal is usually 1-2 hours before bed.

All my meals have almost identical carb amounts and I dont shy away from high GI sources either…granted i dont use the “post workout shake” system though.

Popular belief i guess says that carbs at night time are bad – I think it depends on how your other meals are structured and what you’re eating with your final meals during the day.

I guess you cant have it all – Cant eat a diet rich in fats AND carbs…so i prefer a high carb, lower fat type diet. This way i can pound them from the moment i wake up, to the moment i go to bed staying nice and full. Me likey dat!

November 28, 2008 at 3:26 am #7398

Bodytek, how to u go maintaining Bf through bulking?

Just curious.

November 28, 2008 at 4:02 am #7399

dont eat carbs

no such thing as an essential carb

November 28, 2008 at 4:32 am #7400

@unbuff wrote:

Bodytek, how to u go maintaining Bf through bulking?

Just curious.

I eat the same foods year round, except higher amounts of carbs and fats. Protein always remains the same.

Most people dont count the protein in carbs, so they overshoot their protein and in turn have to cut back on carbs so drastically cause they think that is the problem when the real problem is too much protein.

November 28, 2008 at 4:37 am #7401

@JIMMYSADEK wrote:

dont eat carbs

Carbs keep muscle cells hydrated. A hydrated cell is an anabolic one.

Carbs give you energy to train balls to the wall

Carbs ensure regulated thyroid function

In my opinion, as a natural lifter, carbs are essential.

November 28, 2008 at 5:12 am #7402

understandable

but i eat one or two carb meals a week atm

granted im trying to lose fat

but i have high fat olive flax and avacados i cant eat nuts

and i can train balls to the wall with no carbs!

November 28, 2008 at 5:27 am #7403

jimmy, do you do keto?

If not, I think u and keto would end up being good mates.

November 28, 2008 at 5:30 am #7404

@bodytek wrote:

@JIMMYSADEK wrote:

dont eat carbs

Even though what you say could be scientifically proven. A friend who eats only protien and fat (with green veges) is continually growing bigger and stronger, just as much as me, or the next natural guy.

so are carbs really needed?

November 28, 2008 at 5:31 am #7405

@unbuff wrote:

jimmy, do you do keto?

If not, I think u and keto would end up being good mates.

nooooo keto diets suck balls!!

they ruin your ability to handle carbs, make you stringy and flat. not to mention so restrictive!

Even on a keto diet, you need refeeds. You cant go 16 weeks or longer taking in no carbs – asking for trouble.

November 28, 2008 at 5:43 am #7406

hmm

Im going to switch to it, as I feel alot healthier on it, and so does, everyone who does it.

Its proven with blood results, its proven on diabetics, hell, its proven on children who cant concentrate and who have autism. The proof is out there.

I suggest you read, If you havent already Good calories, bad calories – Peter taube

Then you can take back the sucks balls comment.

From a bodybuilding perspective, check out the KETO SECTION on that big famous american bbing site, for the proof it works in that aspect aswell.

November 28, 2008 at 5:52 am #7407

@unbuff wrote:

@bodytek wrote:

@JIMMYSADEK wrote:

dont eat carbs

Even though what you say could be scientifically proven. A friend who eats only protien and fat (with green veges) is continually growing bigger and stronger, just as much as me, or the next natural guy.

so are carbs really needed?

I dont know the specifics…but does your friend (and you) get your carbs indirectly? Things like nuts, peanut butter, avocado etc? Or do you only eat protein, veggies and some oil on top? I personally could not eat this way consistently for a long time – and that is what is needed in this game. Consistency over time. Having something practical that you can stick with, that serves all your metabolic needs.

The main reason is that carbs spare protein. (Both muscular skeletal and dietary). You cant live off protein and fat for an extended time without taking in ANY carbs what so ever (as a natural). Thats why sooo many people need a “cheat meal” every week just to keep sane and to load the muscles with carbs for the week’s workouts. How many times have keto dieters gone off the rails and pigged out screwing up their diets.

The more time you spend playing around with keto diets, the longer you are suppressing your body’s natural ability to handle carbs. Like i said, if we want to be in this for the long run, i want to be able to eat and enjoy life, and not be afraid of food.

getting back to the “Science” of it…..if i do a keto diet. I look like shit. Flat, depleted and stringy. When i pound the carbs, the difference is night and day. I look full, big and hard. Oh, and im not a cranky prick either 🙂

November 28, 2008 at 6:03 am #7408

@unbuff wrote:

hmm

Im going to switch to it, as I feel alot healthier on it, and so does, everyone who does it.

Its proven with blood results, its proven on diabetics, hell, its proven on children who cant concentrate and who have autism. The proof is out there.

I suggest you read, If you havent already Good calories, bad calories – Peter taube

Then you can take back the sucks balls comment.

From a bodybuilding perspective, check out the KETO SECTION on that big famous american bbing site, for the proof it works in that aspect aswell.

I think there is a VERY big distinction between a sedentary individual who is insulin insensitive because all they do is sit on their ass and eat twizzlers and donuts……and then comparing an athlete or a bodybuilder.

We are also not comparing children who eat sugary foods day in day out. Obviously something that controls blood sugar is going to work better on a child than the standard diets these kids eat.

We are saying “what works best – and what works optimally for a bodybuilder”. And in my case, im talking about natural bodybuilders.

I know about keto diets 🙂 …they are great for short term fat loss. The insulin suppression is terrific. But, over time, the fat loss twindles. Sure, its great if you want to lose 10 kilos. But if you have to lose more, and keep your muscle it is extremely hard. It is also restrictive in the way cardio is performed. You cant be doing high intensity cardio while on a keto diet. All you can do is walk at a low pace (so that you dont burn muscle). What happens when your body adjusts to the workload? Where do you go from there? Sure. You can drop your fats and eat protein/veggies only only but till what point?

Like i said in my previous post – consistency over time. Something that works long term.

November 30, 2008 at 9:46 am #7409

I love the keto atm

i have 2 green veggies or salad meals a day dinner and lucch only cause im lazy.

lots of fibre morning and night

i fill up or cheat every 3 days. i train high volume so i feel i need it so i usually just eat watever i feel like every 3rd dinner. still do cardio etc that night

im switching my fill up nights to more clean as im trying to come down a lil more so sushi or just rice or sweat potato but as much until im loaded!

im pretty structured eating every 2 and a half hours during the week but weekends ill eat every 2 to 3 also but jus depends on wats gfoin on.

also i add sea salt to every meal cept shakes. and i dont crave carbs or have mood swings ever

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.