Want to change the split

Home / Forums / Weight Training & Conditioning / Want to change the split

• This topic is empty.
  • Author

Hi guys, my new current split is 3 day and goes like…

Mon: Chest/shoulder/abs
    wed: back/trap/tris
    fri: legs/bis

ever since I started training, my shoudlers have always lagged in strength and most likely size too. Would anything be wrong with this split…

Mon: Chest/tris

wed: Back/bis

fri: legs/shoulder

Ive tried putting it other ways, and Always found reasons that it wouldnt work aswell with overlapping bodyparts. All im trying to do is get shoulder by themselves without being hit by anything previous (ie chest!)

any help appreciated, ive alwats been crap at making splits…

October 15, 2007 at 2:04 pm #5262

Ditch Chest shoulders abs.

back tri’s is ok.

leg bi’s is ok

I rekon add a 4th day for shoulders

I reckon do shoulders by themselves at home. Add a fourth day for this: you can do:

I usually do shoulders with lats, it does it for me I guess. 3 sets of pronated lat pull downs and 3 sets of supinated, I then do some shoulder presses, upright rows, dumbell snatch, straight arm raises, medial rotation, lateral rotation. by the end im gone. Ive heard the hang clean and press is also a very good excersise.

October 15, 2007 at 11:39 pm #5263

Or try something radical for shoulders.

Poliquin suggests the following tri-set every workout, 10s between sets, 2 mins between tri-sets.

Seated lateral raise, lateral raise machine, cable lateral raise.

I’d cycle sets during the week. 1 set chest day, 2 sets back day, 3 set leg day.

Front delts get theirs on chest day, rear delts on back day (horizontal pull).

October 16, 2007 at 2:11 am #5264

i would try some push presses, they have work well for me

October 16, 2007 at 9:33 pm #5265

@mr 32 wrote:

i would try some push presses, they have work well for me

I agree, keep it simple and heavy.

October 17, 2007 at 12:02 am #5266

A shoulder press mainly targets the anterior deltoid….

what of the rest of the shoulder muscles.

The shortest workout ive seen so far in poloquin principles under shoulders:

Sandard lateral raise SS with cable upright row 3×10-15
    +
    Bent Over lateral raise SS with seated cable row with wide v-bar or straight bar to neck. 3×10-15

On other day or alternate day

L-lateral raise SS with arnold press 3×10-15
    +
    Shoulder horn raise SS with muscle snatch 3×10-15

I take my time on shoulders….Ive injured them once…I dont know who hasnt! so Im really careful what I do with them.

October 17, 2007 at 6:48 am #5267

@Dr J wrote:

Or try something radical for shoulders.

Poliquin suggests the following tri-set every workout, 10s between sets, 2 mins between tri-sets.

Seated lateral raise, lateral raise machine, cable lateral raise.

I’d cycle sets during the week. 1 set chest day, 2 sets back day, 3 set leg day.

Front delts get theirs on chest day, rear delts on back day (horizontal pull).

Thanks for your help guys. I think ill start with J’s suggestion and move on to the others later.

I dont have a lateral raise machine, what else could i use. Seated and cable raises are no problem…

PS: How many reps?

October 17, 2007 at 7:27 am #5268

ive always found i get the best results by splitting chest/back first up during the week with dips and chins then hitting my legs and ab’s in my 2nd workout and leaving shoulders on there own at the end of the week. My shoulders get a nice workout with the dips then get time to recover for later in the week when i do rear lateral raises,side lateral raises and front lateral raises to isolate them.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.