Uneven lats

• This topic is empty.
  • Author

Hi guys,

I’ve noticed more and more as I lose weight that I have uneven lats.
    My right side sticks out and I can flex it, but my left side doesn’t seem to exist and I can’t seem to get a grip on it with my brain to even flex it. (neuro connections ? 😕 )

I’m guessing this is from 15 years of painting and mainly using my right arm to drive roller polls up and down with my left only guiding but not taking any weight.

It not only looks uneven in the mirror, but I can also feel it.

Question is…how do I fix it ?

If I continue normaly will they even up or should I do some one sided workouts ?

-John (newbie)

July 3, 2006 at 3:18 am #2748

the way i learnt how to flex them was to put hands on my hips and push my shoulder out and foward. not sure if it will work for you but thats how i learnt.
    you could as try getting someone to put there hand on your lats with a bit of pressure so you can feel what your doing when you try and flex your lats.

try doing some bent over dumbell rows and lying rows.
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/DBBentOverRow.html
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/DBLyingRow.html
    also you could try doing some one arm cable rows.

norm

July 3, 2006 at 9:57 am #2749

Yep, you’ll have to do some serious unilateral training.

You could try starting with the smaller side and finishing with that side (Do sets left, right, left or left, right, left, right, left, etc). That way you’ll do more work with the lagging side.

Never do more reps on the bigger side.

Are you a lot weaker on the smaller side? Is it the same for vertical pull and horizontal pull?

J

July 3, 2006 at 9:59 am #2750

One arm rows could be a slight solution. Heavier weight on one side than the other. Also one arm assisted chins could help also.

July 3, 2006 at 10:02 am #2751

You could probably make an argument for doing next to no work for the bigger side if the difference is very noticeable.

Training one side of the body only still stimulates muscle growth on the untrained side (at least with proper nutrition!).

J

July 4, 2006 at 8:03 am #2752

Thats most peoples problem, unless they trained from a very young age with weights. I am still finding areas that are uneven.

I would rate using negative only sets on the side that is weaker, this would excellerate the growth rate to the max, without the use of steroids. Plus good after workout nutrition.

8x (or near on) sets of 3x reps should fix it over about 6-8 weeks. Along with normal concentric training, after recovery. Note I said 8x 3x negs, that means using a weight that is HEAVY. You will have to lessen the weight to get the reps done, toward the last sets. DA

July 12, 2006 at 1:14 am #2753

I think using unilateral training is super important for most people. As well as using your less dominant side for every day activities when possible. I can’t quote any scientific studies to back me up but I have a feeling that using the less dominant side (during unilateral training and daily activities) would have a positive effect on your CNS and help to clean up motor patterns that have become overworked and less efficient.

July 13, 2006 at 10:00 am #2754

My left lat is smaller than my right, When doing unilateral movements prioritize the weeker side and make a conscious note to make that side work during exercise.

September 7, 2006 at 2:43 am #2755

stallion

You’ve had some great answers!

bottom line, is you have 15 years of daily lat imbalance to reverse which equals alot of uni lateral lat work! and remember, ther is more to muscle whan just size and stregnth, i’d bet you’ll also have tissue length and tension imbalances as well. enusre you address this in your training as well

September 7, 2006 at 6:20 am #2756

I dont see the point of doing more on the uneven side. If that accelerated growth, then why arent we all doing 4+ extra sets for all our bodyparts and “accelerating” there growth?

If its really bothering someone, then choose dumbells over a barbell for the uneven group.

September 7, 2006 at 6:32 am #2757

I guess the point is to do less work for the overdeveloped side (ie. maintanence) so more of the bodies resources can be applied to the underdeveloped side.

J

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.