Unable to put weight on

Home / Forums / Weight Training & Conditioning / Unable to put weight on

• This topic is empty.
  • Author

Hi guys,

I have been weight training since 2000, when I was 19 years old, and went from 80kg to about 92kg at 187cm (6″2), but my waistline also went to about 94cm at the same time, from being about 84cm. Now at the age of 28, I have lost a lot of my muscle mass, and down to about 82kg, but my waistline has also dropped down to 84cm. I was at 92 kg between the ages of 20-25, after 25, it just dropped, even though im training hard. Maybe it is because I stopped the creatine supplementation? I am just a little worried about creatine giving me high blood pressure, as my brother was told by his doc that creatine is able to give certain people high blood pressure, which is the reason why i stopped creatine supplementation a few months ago. I want to get back to at least 90kg from 82kg. Is this possible, and how can I achieve this goal? Also, I have been doing a lot of cardio, with my martial arts training twice a week (3 hours a week), and jogging for 30 mins about 3 days a week. Any helpful advice?

Cheers,

Jez

April 26, 2010 at 1:41 am #8899

It’s not the creatine.
    It’s more than likely your diet assuming you are training hard, (as you say you are)

What’s your daily diet like?

April 26, 2010 at 2:26 am #8900

My weekly routine/diet is as follows: Also, i start work at about 3-4pm 5 nights a week, so i have to kinda work around that.

Mondays: Wake up at about 11am, have breakfast consisting of 3-4 eggs, 2 toasts, and cup of green tea.
    Train biceps and back at 12pm, and come home at 1pm and have protein shake with full cream goats milk mixed with water, all in a blender with 2 bananas, and tablespoon of chia seeds.
    Get ready for work at 3pm or so, and don’t have the opportunity to eat until about 7pm or so, which sometimes consists of rice, pasta, sushi. Then I get home at about 12am or 1am from work, and might have a few nutella or cheese sandwiches.

Tuesdays: more or less same diet as monday, with the exception of martial arts training from 7pm -8pm.

wednesdays: Usual diet, and training martial arts from 6pm to 8pm, and always have my 300gram steak at 8:45pm for dinner.

Thursdays: Morning jog before breakfast for 30 mins or so, then follow the usual diet, and go to work, with pasta or rice for dinner.

Friday: Wake in the morning, have more or less same brekkie as Monday, and hit the gym, doing chests, tris and shoulders. Come back home at 2pm or so, and have the same protein shake, with 2 bananas and chia seeds. Dinners, same as usual.

Saturday: Morning jog,have same brekkie, followed by some martial arts, fitness training shadow boxing, focus mitt drills. etc… Get ready for work, and dont eat again until about 7pm or so, and then get home at about 1pm and eat again, sandwiches.

Sunday, usually rest day, with same diet as always.

Is there anything I can add or do to my training regime/diet to gain weight?

Thanks,

Jez

April 26, 2010 at 2:58 am #8896

Short answer: completely change your training around it’s not good. Also cut out some of your runs or martial arts as you are burning lots of calories through them, eat a lot more and eat some better foods.

April 26, 2010 at 4:43 am #8897

Can you please give me an example of what I should do, it terms of amount of exercise, and in terms of what and how much i should eat?

Thanks

Jez

April 26, 2010 at 5:51 am #8898

sorry didn’t have much time to reply.

You don’t train your legs, number one mistake made by most lifters. Legs are your main force producers even for punching, that hip twist and leg drive in a punch adds a lot more power than most people think. Also the two best leg building exercises (or the variations of them) the Squat and the Deadlift are important for growth. Heres an idea for you if you can only workout 2 days a week.

Squat 3 x 5. Deep squats
    Military Press 2 x 5. Standing and no knee drive
    Deadlift 3 x 5. You can do any variation if you wish ie romanian deadlifts, stiff legged dead lifts.
    Chinup 2 x 5. Add weight. Can do pull ups instead but chins hit the biceps more.
    Pushup 2 x 5. Add weight.
    Bent Over Rows 2 x 5. Could be cable rows or t-bar rows any rowing action.

Each week increase the reps by 1 for each exercise. Once you hit 7 reps the next week go back to 5 reps and add 5kg or whatever you can do for 5 reps. Do this twice a week. It would be better if you could do 3 days a week but that is up to you. After 12 weeks see how you have gone.

Just so you know you will not put on size unless you eat accordingly. Have a serve of protein with each meal about your hands size, eat often and if you are not getting bigger, eat more and more often. Drinking milk may help if you are a naturally lean person with a high metabolism. Try having half a litre after each of your exercise sessions.

A good thing to know would be your body fat % or at least a guide like can you see your abs or close to it. I am 4cm taller than you which is not much but if I were to hit 82kgs I would be close to anorexic, even at 90kg I was quite thin.

April 26, 2010 at 8:05 am #8895

Get ready for work at 3pm or so, and don’t have the opportunity to eat until about 7pm or so, which sometimes consists of rice, pasta, sushi. Then I get home at about 12am or 1am from work, and might have a few nutella or cheese sandwiches.

Massive problem right there.

Nutella…hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

April 26, 2010 at 1:49 pm #8893

Thanks for all the help fellas. I’ll let you know how i progress over the next 3 months with that training regime. Just for what its worth, my % body fat 2 months ago was between 11% and 12%. I have a four pack now, trying to get a 6 pack, but the last two abs at the bottom are the hardest to come through! I don’t know if that helps, and my BMI is 23 which is a healthy range to be in for my height according to several websites i checked.

Cheers,

Jez

April 26, 2010 at 1:59 pm #8894

BMI is crap it’s been telling me i’m near obese for years. But anyway, you seem lean work hard and eat a lot, try to sneak in some food during the time period ST pointed out even if it is some dried fruit and nuts.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.