Type 1 diabetes

Home / Forums / Diet and Nutrition / Type 1 diabetes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Hey guys.

Recently I’ve been feeling fatigued and a little sloppy. Usually on off training days. And I nap alot.

Because of this I went in for a blood test for a few things. According to the results my doctor decided to diagnose me on the spot, for type 1 diabetes. Results as follows:

creatinine 116 (should be 110 or lower)
    Urea 11.2 (should be 8 or lower)
    glucose 7.7 (should be 5.5 or lower)

He said he’s hoping its just a stuff up. He took a pee test to see if im pissing sugar and im not. Also a pin prick test to see what my glucose levels where then, and it was 7, and 3hours prior I had a meal.

He’s ordered more tests which take place this saturday, and hearing that my immune system is attacking my kidneys, and that my pancreas is stuffed, has me paranoid… alot.

Strangely enough, I had a test 2 years ago, and all my levels were in check and he was very happy with me. So I don’t know what happens next.

On a side note, national testosterone levels are between 6 and 30. I got 29, and thats with no test boosters. I’m all alpha male baby πŸ˜€

thats all I can be happy about right now.

November 27, 2008 at 9:37 am #7373

I do not understand: 7.7 BGL is fine – where does the 5.5 or lower come from? NSW Ambulance protocols treat for hypoglcaemia at levels below 4, & hyperglycaemia above 17. I can’t see what the problem is with 7.7 BGL.

November 27, 2008 at 10:01 am #7374

From his little chart? lol

Well he scared me well anyway. Not sure If I said this, but im going in for a glucose test on sat, Ive done one before. U fast for like 6hours, and get a blood test every hour or something like that, to check insulin response.

Danoz, those firgures are for ambulances, in case of emergencies (life threatening) would there comparisons be different in that case?

November 27, 2008 at 10:22 am #7375

They are most likely different measures, but 7.7 just does not seem to be an abnormal reading – a little high after a fast perhaps, but not abnormaly so I wouldn’t think.

I’d be hunting some medical sites on the web to start with, but then I’d also be getting more info from your GP – and maybe even getting 2nd opinions if diagnosis or treatments appear major or radical.

Good luck mate- scary stuff where your health is concerned.

December 3, 2008 at 8:32 am #7376

Good news. Im being treated by a classical homeopath for this, and After my last bloods that i got done on sat, my levels are now

Creatinine: 112
    Urea: 10
    blood glucose: same.

So this is just the beginning, I cant see why my levels can return to a “national average” normal. And If not, too bad I’m feeling great, and have no symptoms of diabetes, and my lefthargy is already starting to go.

My GP is also a moron, and I’ll be switching to a sports doctor for further tests, hopefully these guys know better.

December 3, 2008 at 11:34 am #7377

Good result mate. I’m always up for a 2nd opinion when a diagnosis is extreme – some git wanted to remove my gall bladder immediately post an ultrasound. I declined the kind offer, and like you, I actually went to a homeopath, took some meds, have not had a gall bladder attack since and still have my gall bladder.

December 4, 2008 at 1:05 am #7378

Thats great news, make sure you keep seeing them and who knows what you’ll be able to keep next!
    πŸ™‚

December 4, 2008 at 5:03 am #7379

Losing a gall bladder would have meant all sorts of life changes that I am rather happy to have avoided – I can’t bear the thought of NEVER having KFC again…

December 4, 2008 at 5:49 am #7380

lol

Ok, just an update about my situation. I went to see a nutritionist who is also a herbalist.

Bascially, I have to cut out all hi gi sugars. All stimulants. Stick to low gi carbs only and keep to 30% of daily protein consumption. there idea of my test results could have been the cause of a few things. Stressed organs, too much sugar, not enough cardio, supplements aren’t being absorbed, and also genetics (family history) and the ‘appearance’ of diabetes on tests.

They gave me a heap of support herbs to take for 6weeks, and dieting advice, which I’ll apply and see what happens.

December 5, 2008 at 2:16 am #7381

@unbuff wrote:

lol

Bascially, I have to cut out all hi gi sugars. All stimulants. Stick to low gi carbs only and keep to 30% of daily protein consumption. there idea of my test results could have been the cause of a few things. Stressed organs, too much sugar, not enough cardio, supplements aren’t being absorbed, and also genetics (family history) and the ‘appearance’ of diabetes on tests.

Now I understand why you were so against carbs πŸ™‚

A good way to test your tolerance for carbs is to use a glucometer. Blood sugar usually peaks 30 mins after a meal so if you prick at the 30minute mark, then again at the 45 minute mark you can see exactly how high your body is letting the blood glucose rise before it clears.

Ive been doing this for ages so i can push the boundaries without going too high. If i didnt have a glucometer theres no way in the world i would be able to see whats going on internally.

December 5, 2008 at 2:20 am #7382

Another thing………when eating high GI whole foods (white potatoes, white rice etc) and combined with a meal with protein, there isnt much difference between a low GI carb source and a high one. Ive done lots of experiments and it just doesnt make a whole lot of difference.

The more important thing is the glycemic load. If someone is eating a huge amount of low GI carbs, its still going to make blood sugar rise quickly regardless of its GI. Just some food for thought….

December 5, 2008 at 9:42 pm #7383

@bodytek wrote:

The more important thing is the glycemic load. If someone is eating a huge amount of low GI carbs, its still going to make blood sugar rise quickly regardless of its GI. Just some food for thought….

Which highlights the gulf between theory and practice.

Theories tend to simplify things whereas the real world is complicated in practice. We’ve gone from GI to II to glycemic load in trying to get a better handle on things.

B F Skinner and other Behaviorists (God bless em) believed you could get a better handle on behavior just measuring stimulus and response and ignoring the stuff (like thinking) in between. Use the theory to guide you but it’s the response – what it does for you – that counts. If eating donuts all day makes you fat, stop eating donuts, if it makes you strong and muscular keep chowing down. πŸ˜‰

December 6, 2008 at 5:21 am #7384

@bodytek wrote:

Another thing………when eating high GI whole foods (white potatoes, white rice etc) and combined with a meal with protein, there isnt much difference between a low GI carb source and a high one. Ive done lots of experiments and it just doesnt make a whole lot of difference.

So your saying id get the same insulin spike with sweet potatos, as I would with dextrose with protien added? So if thats right, I’m not really helping myself with cutting high GI carbs, I could stil have a dextrose shake after training and nothing will change….?

PS: I’m not against carbs, yet.

December 6, 2008 at 6:50 am #7385

@unbuff wrote:

@bodytek wrote:

So your saying id get the same insulin spike with sweet potatos, as I would with dextrose with protien added? So if thats right, I’m not really helping myself with cutting high GI carbs, I could stil have a dextrose shake after training and nothing will change….?

PS: I’m not against carbs, yet.

Nope, i said high gi whole foods…….whey with dextrose makes insulin go through the roof…..way too much for me and thats why i wont use it. (makes me spill over…fat and watery)

Likewise, ive found a big difference between eating white potato + chicken and white potato and whey……….due to its rich amino acid content, whey spikes blood sugar higher.

December 6, 2008 at 7:00 am #7386

Thats all new info for me, and thanks.

Ive made the decision and ditching carbs entirely for the time being. There pissing me off and this whole insulin business is annoying me too. Plus I just came back from a shit workout, and extra grumpy. I was meant to rack deadlift 165kgs 18 times and couldnt do more then 11 coz of a massive lower back pump. Urrgh.

πŸ‘Ώ

PS: where can i buy a glucometer?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.