Training to failure

Home / Forums / Weight Training & Conditioning / Training to failure

• This topic is empty.
  • Author

So who takes their sets to the point of positive failure? There seems to be many debates both for and against.
    Im planing on giving the Max OT program a run for a few months to shake up my training a bit, mainly cause I like the low rep / low set / max weight style it employs.
    But it also advocates taking every set to failure, which is somthing new for me and somthing Ive never considered, I mean look at powerlifters and olympic lifters, they never train to failure and their results speak for themselves.
    But by the same token, I think you need to keep an open mind and give different methods a spin now and then for variety if nothing else.

So has anybody given this type of training a red hot go?

July 17, 2008 at 6:38 am #6755

Christian Thibaudeu wrote a nice article about going to failure here:

http://www.t-nation.com/article/most_recent/the_thib_system_8212_fatigue_and_best_exercises

Really good read in regards to failure training, there is a place for it and should be used smartly.

July 17, 2008 at 6:57 am #6756

DC training – It turns boys into men.

I know max-ot has good reviews. Only negative is that it got boring.

July 17, 2008 at 7:00 am #6757

@unbuff wrote:

DC train dave966

It turns boys into men.

HeHe, It sure doood. DA

July 20, 2008 at 9:43 am #6758

Big believer in working the muscle for a few sets then smashing it to failure on the last set-Stimulate not annihilate Mr Haney said 🙂

August 10, 2008 at 11:11 am #6759

max-ot worked for me

I might jump on the dc training band waggon next bulk .

whats the difference between negative failure and positive failure?

is negative like when u push too much on the first set and fail and then no matter how much weight u put on ,you can only push 5-6 reps for the rest of the sets?

August 11, 2008 at 1:45 am #6760

Neg failure is when you let the weight down slowly each rep until you cant do it anymore. Concentric is when pushing the weight up each rep until it fails to move.

Concentric fails first always. Negs probably shouldnt be done every workout, just once in a while to shake things up.

Generally this is why they say fast up (concentric movements) & slow negs in a ratio of around 1 to 2 secs up and double or more down. This way there need be no real failure, just near concentric failure. This (conc’ failure) should occur on the last set, & thats the end of an exercise. You wouldnt then cause the muscles so much tearing/rebuilding problem per exercise & could get more from a workout, covering a larger range of exercises. DA

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.