This 2day split. (long) *update*

Home / Forums / Weight Training & Conditioning / This 2day split. (long) *update*

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Hey guys. I was sent this routine from a mate off these boards. I want to give it ago.

day one

chest
    back
    biceps
    calf

day two

quads
    hams
    delts
    tris

tack abs on when you can 3 – 5 sets

maximum 24 sets per workout TOTAL ( 8 chest, 8 back, 4 biceps, 4 calf) for
    example

every set to failure

for 2 weeks keep reps at 8 -10 and rest 60 -90 secs b/w sets
    nest 2 weeks 10 -12 reps rest 60 secs
    next 2 weeks go for 12 -15 reps and rest 60 secs.

as you tire you ahve to lower the weights, but as you get stronger throughout
    the 6 weeks, you will find you use the same weight for 12-15 reps as you
    did for 10-12 reps sets

this type of program worked well for me..the downside is the record keeping…I
    found the only way to make sure I was on target was to write down EVERY set
    and EVERY weight I used”

Anyway, thats wot i got. I have emailed him because i had ALOT of questions to ask, so i thought i might ask the same ones here.

1. Since Im training to failure on every set and also doing more volume then usuall I should only be peforming day1 and 2 once a week? right?

This is the exersices I worked out for day 1 and 2 for the first 2 weeks, im meant to swap it up each fortnight. How does it look…

Day1:

Chest – 4sets dbflyes, 4sets incline bp
    Back – 4sets shrugs, 4sets deadlifts
    biceps – 4sets incline db curls
    calves – 4sets calves raises toes in toes out

day2:

quads – 4sets leg extensions, 4sets squats
    hams – 4sets leg raises, 4sets SLDL
    delts – 4sets military press
    tris – 4sets dips

with the bigger bodyparts (8sets) i was told to have 2 exercises and the first 4sets an isolation, i think ive dont it right.. if not… 😳 Im just not sure about how many sets for quads and hams, i think its similar to chest and back on day 1.

anyway, wot a huge post. Its an effort just to read it all. Anyway any help appriciated. Id like to give it a go as its something new and different

January 28, 2006 at 12:41 pm #2227

I would love to see your results to be honest for the whole program is way of traditional type programs.

I would swap a few things though.

1. Incline before flyes ( you want to achieve as much power as possible)
    2. Shrugs are more for traps and shoulders, try bent over rows?
    3. Biceps trained with triceps tend to respond more efficiently
    4. I’d go maybe two sets of leg ext. simply to warm up the legs and then do the squats and come back to the ext. after.
    5. What’s a SLDL?
    6. You may also want to look at training tris before delts if you want to have a successful dip session, you will find it much harder to dip if your shoulders don’t want to play the game.
    7. I don’t think (unless your on the gear) that it would be in your best interest to train to failure on EVERY set. Maybe the last one on each exercise?
    8. If you are only going to do 2 exercises per body part I would stick to all compound exercises and give the isolations the flick until your last 2 weeks when the reps increase. I would then go all isolation.

They do say if you are going to train to failure that you should only hit that body part once per week. Righto thats fine but who only wants to train 2 times a week??

I think you will get bored with this program before to long Unbuff. πŸ˜•
    Good luck.

January 29, 2006 at 12:11 am #2228

@unbuff wrote:

this type of program worked well for me..the downside is the record keeping…I
    found the only way to make sure I was on target was to write down EVERY set
    and EVERY weight I used

Urh, I thought that’s what the rest between sets was for 😈

January 29, 2006 at 2:21 am #2229

hey kinmassive thanks for the advice

1. Ill give it a shot
    2. But shrugs does traps, which is still apart of the back.
    3. Ill swap tris for calves
    4. can do
    5. Straight Leg Dead Lift
    6. taken care of
    7. Im sure day 1 and 2 are performed only once a week, so if i did fail on every set i have ample time to recover. Besides its only a 6week course. Though day 1 and 2 could be performed twice, im not sure on that.
    8. I know, but i was told keep it iso, then compound if 2 exercises are needed. Compound for 1 exercise total.

training 2 times a week is fine if it works, i have more time for other things and can change my cardio days. But my mate could of done each day twice throughout the week, i still have to find that out…

but, do u think its worth giving it a shot? Its something really different for my body, and thats a good thing right…

πŸ™‚

January 29, 2006 at 2:40 am #2230

wot the hell am i talking about

its a 2day split, so performed once a week. day1 wed, day2 daturday for example… duur

January 29, 2006 at 8:15 am #2231

Hell yeah give it a go!

I’m just putting together my next 2 month fight prep training regime and I’m finding it really hard to get used to the transition.

Mixing things up in the weight room is what it’s all about in the long run eg getting to know what works for you etc. Just keep us all informed on your progress, you never know what results different training could bring you. πŸ˜€

February 1, 2006 at 6:14 am #2232

omg, i did day 2 on monday and my legs are still really sore. Im not ready for this failing on every set thing, its too hardcore.

Im just going come to failure on the last set, so ill be able to perform both days twice a week. Ill be able to recover quicker then, and maybe put on alittle mass.

February 1, 2006 at 6:53 am #2233

Your first 2 weeks is always shock therapy with a new program. Your muscles will adapt in no time you wait.

February 2, 2006 at 11:26 am #2234

@kinmassive wrote:

I would love to see your results to be honest for the whole program is way of traditional type programs.

I would swap a few things though.

1. Incline before flyes ( you want to achieve as much power as possible)

Agreed
    @kinmassive wrote:

2. Shrugs are more for traps and shoulders, try bent over rows?

Agreed. I dont think you will cover the back properly with just deads and shrugs. Deads will also work the traps to some degree anyway, so Id swap shrugs for pull ups
    @kinmassive wrote:

3. Biceps trained with triceps tend to respond more efficiently

What ever floats your boat mate πŸ˜€
    My bis respond best with constant tension and 3 times per week.
    @kinmassive wrote:

4. I’d go maybe two sets of leg ext. simply to warm up the legs and then do the squats and come back to the ext. after.

Good Point
    @kinmassive wrote:

5. What’s a SLDL?

Stiff leg dead lifts, something I simply can not do.
    @kinmassive wrote:

6. You may also want to look at training tris before delts if you want to have a successful dip session, you will find it much harder to dip if your shoulders don’t want to play the game.

OK, here is where I totally disagree.
    If I train tris first, there is no way in hell I can press any decent weight, and certainly not enough to worry my delts.
    I always do my militarys first so my fresh tris can help to further overload my delts, then hit the dips.
    @kinmassive wrote:

7. I don’t think (unless your on the gear) that it would be in your best interest to train to failure on EVERY set. Maybe the last one on each exercise?

Agreed
    @kinmassive wrote:

8. If you are only going to do 2 exercises per body part I would stick to all compound exercises and give the isolations the flick until your last 2 weeks when the reps increase. I would then go all isolation.

I would just stick to compounds
    @kinmassive wrote:

I think you will get bored with this program before to long Unbuff. πŸ˜•
    Good luck.

Maybe, maybe not.
    My program is also very simple, but so far, its very effective and not at all boring as every week I hit a new max.

February 3, 2006 at 1:19 am #2235

@Andrew69 wrote:

@kinmassive wrote:

5. What’s a SLDL?

Stiff leg dead lifts, something I simply can not do.

SLDLs must be the most abused and misunderstood exercise in the gym.

Most people do them with locked knees (fair enough), rounded backs (okay, if thats your intention) and moving the bar away from the body as it is lowered (are they all mad).

Bent knee SLDL (also known as Romanian Deadlifts) are my preference and one of my favorite lifts. Bend knees slightly when lowering the bar. Keep the bar against the body, being careful not to knock off the knee caps and drag it up against the shins on the way up. Voila! One of the best glute and ham exercise when done right.

February 3, 2006 at 1:22 am #2236

I too like SDL, but need to do them on a platform of some sort so that I can lower the bar to below the toes and get a real good ham stretch πŸ™‚

February 3, 2006 at 6:20 am #2237

andrew69, to kinmassives point 2 about the back exercises, thats only going to be like that for maybe, 1 or 2 weeks.

with the bigger bodyparts i was to select 1 isolation ex and 1 compound, and thats wot i came up with, if i cant find any other iso’s to do (after a fortnight or so), i simply just drop the exercise and stick to doing 4 sets of a compound ex. for the back.

But if i feel i can handle it, i could do 2 compound exercises for the back.

Im also doing this routine twice throughout the week.

And i can change up wotever i feel, as in with when i train legs, i feel im doing too many sets, so i dropped 3 of them and put them into the shoulders, becoz thats a lagging bodypart πŸ˜₯

March 13, 2006 at 8:20 am #2238

yeah its been 6 weeks since i’ve been doing this routine and i can say its really good. Since im still dieting i wont know how it goes with getting bigger, but we’ll wait till i start eating more. The changing up in reps every fortnight keeps the intensity up and keeps things interesting and makes me push myself harder so i dont slack off. I didnt do the full failure thing either (after each set) as that was too intense… so i just make sure the last rep is a very hard struggle, but no stopping static halfway, i make sure i complete the rep fully.

every 6 wks im meant to change up the exercises abit to keep it fresh, any suggestions?

March 14, 2006 at 1:10 am #2239

thats not going to keep it fresh, changing the reps up every fortnight like you have been doing is a lot better.

My full suggestion would be try keeping the volume higher for 2-3 weeks and then the week after that drop the volume and do some high intensity(lower reps as heavy as you can, basically cut out the isolation work too) for a week. The next week is a back off with similar reps the the higher volume weeks and just a low volume overall. Repeat twice and then take a full week off.

When you have finished doing this program maybe you should jump into some high frequency stuff, say maybe 3 time a week full body all compound movements. Will be a big change of scenery for your body and might give you some better gains.

March 14, 2006 at 8:07 am #2240

ive been on fullbody 3 day a week for over 12 months, i switched to the 2day thing for a change up and something new…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.