The case for high reps

Home / Forums / Weight Training & Conditioning / The case for high reps

• This topic is empty.
  • Author

Ive allways been a fan of low rep training and using as much weight as possible. If it works, why change?
    But I think my body is giving me a heads up by the way of some mild joint pain here and there that it might be time for a fresh approach.
    Its not about changing the movements, just the weight / rep thing.

So whos made big changes to their workouts? Did you get a different result? Did you feel better for it?

December 11, 2007 at 12:23 am #5620

It made me want to puke 😀

High reps on compound exercises is a real shock to the system if you’re not used to it.

Poliquin suggests that for legs rep variety from low to high (50+) is accounts for leg development seen in speed skaters and other types of sprinters.

Thought I’d try 50 rep goblet squats with a 30kg db yesterday. Didn’t even come close. [Alternating with 120kg SLDLs may not have helped].

December 11, 2007 at 1:56 am #5621

So whos made big changes to their workouts? Did you get a different result? Did you feel better for it?[/quote]

I got bad tendonitus so had to stop training for a week take fish oil then when i returned to training i had to lower the weight right down and do higher reps lower weight. Since doing that on every exercise ive made some great gains.

I guess sometimes you get to a point and need to mix it up a little.

December 11, 2007 at 6:11 am #5622

I got bad tendonitus so had to stop training for a week take fish oil

So did the fish oil help, how much were taking? Did you start smelling fishy?

December 11, 2007 at 7:02 am #5623

i was doing 127kg squats for 20reps not too long ago (thighs to parallel i was told). that would make me wanna die. Id work in the 15 – 20zone and up the weight then. I did 1 set of those and then did alternating DB lunges (long stride, deep) in the 10 – 12rep zone.

after all that my quads were ready to pop and i would be saying to myself “never again..”

December 11, 2007 at 8:30 am #5624

I used to work witrh one set of 10 for a warm up then one set of 20 high intesity.
    I did this while one 2 leg days a week and squatting 100kg at that time. 10kg dumbell lunges for 20 were harder than the squats…DL were impossible

not much muscle develpment increased musular endurance and very noticible increase in strength…yes not much muscle but increaed strength…or so i thought

December 11, 2007 at 11:05 am #5625

@swiz wrote:

I used to work witrh one set of 10 for a warm up then one set of 20 high intesity.
    I did this while one 2 leg days a week and squatting 100kg at that time. 10kg dumbell lunges for 20 were harder than the squats…DL were impossible

not much muscle develpment increased musular endurance and very noticible increase in strength…yes not much muscle but increaed strength…or so i thought

exactly what i found

December 11, 2007 at 8:22 pm #5626

So did the fish oil help, how much were taking? Did you start smelling fishy?[/quote]

Fish oil is awesome.

Tendonitus was so painful i had to stop training and i kept aggrevating it everytimje i trained even with lower weight. It takes a long time to heal. Then i started taking some fish oil as reccomended by the Doc and i dont have tendonitus anymore.

At the start i took 2 tablets morning and night. If you keep them in the fridge and take them when cold you dont burp them up and have fish breath 🙂

December 12, 2007 at 12:33 am #5627

I have had good results by mixing it up. After a period of low reps, changing to higher reps for a period has worked for me & vice versa. HST which is basic periodisation using higher to lower rep ranges to accomodate increasing load has also worked well for me.

December 12, 2007 at 6:52 am #5628

@unbuff wrote:

exactly what i found

but now after i moved back to low reps high weight im seeing gains and am able to last longer in the gym with the increased endurance (or so i think) + the strength stayed…and 12 reps for 3 is way easier…i find where i used to do 6 reps full high weight and intensity i can do 8.

for me thats good eneough.

December 12, 2007 at 10:19 am #5629

Mixing it up is definately the way to go… while I prefer to spend most of my time lifting relatively heavy – 1-5 rep sets on big lifts, 5-8 on other stuff – every few months a few weeks of high reps is a good break. Doing circuits of high rep sets is great conditioning too…. good stuff.

December 14, 2007 at 2:28 am #5630

Well yes gotta mix it up.

You guys seen the people at the gym that come in every day or week and do the exact same routine with the same reps and same weights???

Hehe gotta mix it up and keep adding weight!

Or you will be classed the same as those other people i mentioned: WANKERS!!!!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.