The "bulking diet" myth

Home / Forums / Diet and Nutrition / The "bulking diet" myth

• This topic is empty.
  • Author

Ok,
    Maby I,m barking up the wrong tree here but there,s something I cant seem to get straight in my head.
    You hear bodybuilders refer to their diets as on & off season affiars, Im only talking about naturals here as juicers of course are a whole different animal.

Now, we know muscle dont turn to fat, and fatties dont have more or strength or energy than lean people, in general that is.

If your body can only assimilate X amount of protien and Y amount of carbs and only adapt to a finite amount of stress (training) , where dose the idea of force feeding yourself thousands of extra calories, or “bulking up” come from?

If you can only use say 5 units of protein, why try and squeze in 10, as calories consumed in excess turn to fat, regardless of the source.

I can see some logic if may need extra bodyweight for your sport, but why bodybuilders?

November 19, 2007 at 10:28 pm #5573

Well food per day should total some large number of calories, right, dependant on your weight your adjust the amount to fit your size/metabolism/age etc.

Once the total value is established, this can be called a maintenance level. After that, as a general guide, increasing this base amount by 500 to 1000 callories would be a diet for bulking. It provides extra energy above the bodies needs to repair/build muscle. A percentage of this would be stored as fat, and this can be tweaked a bit to reduce as much as poss’ the fat accumulation.

Alternately a cutting diet would be to knock off 500/1000/1500 calories from the days total to cut fat storage on the body. DA

November 19, 2007 at 11:36 pm #5574

@Dave996 wrote:

Ok,
    Maby I,m barking up the wrong tree here but there,s something I cant seem to get straight in my head.
    You hear bodybuilders refer to their diets as on & off season affiars, Im only talking about naturals here as juicers of course are a whole different animal.

Now, we know muscle dont turn to fat, and fatties dont have more or strength or energy than lean people, in general that is.

If your body can only assimilate X amount of protien and Y amount of carbs and only adapt to a finite amount of stress (training) , where dose the idea of force feeding yourself thousands of extra calories, or “bulking up” come from?

If you can only use say 5 units of protein, why try and squeze in 10, as calories consumed in excess turn to fat, regardless of the source.

I can see some logic if may need extra bodyweight for your sport, but why bodybuilders?

I agree that many go too far with bulking but the reasoning behind it is that we don’t know how much protein or carbs we can assimilate. Sure there is a limit but it isn’t the same for each person and science is not close to working out the formula.

Also many do claim to be significantly stronger at a higher bodyfat level than they are lean even with similar LBM.

Bodybuilders that bulk heavily and just turn into fatties are becoming a minority now anyway. I think that most are discovering a middle ground but that is different for each person.

November 20, 2007 at 9:43 am #5575

@Bull wrote:

@Dave996 wrote:

Bodybuilders that bulk heavily and just turn into fatties are becoming a minority now anyway. I think that most are discovering a middle ground but that is different for each person.

thats because some go too far with the myth that eating as much as possible will get them big. It will, but the wrong kind of big.

November 20, 2007 at 9:44 am #5576

wow how did i quote dave for something bull said? lol

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.