Swimming as a warm down

Home / Forums / Weight Training & Conditioning / Swimming as a warm down

• This topic is empty.
  • Author

Up until recently and in previous years I have trained at gyms with a pool (on purpose) so that I can have a swim after upper body workouts. It did seem to significantly reduce stiffness and soreness, in in the long run seemed to help keep my nexk and shoulders less prone to injury.

My question is, would this be counter productive in terms of strength gains and muscle growth ? I’m currently not swiming after my upper body sessions and am making good progress, but not necessarily more than when I swam.

??

January 9, 2006 at 11:16 am #2135

It would depend on the intensity of your swim. If you did actually do a couple of warm down laps with strokes such as breaststroke then yes I believe it wouldn’t hurt.

BUT, if you were to say do just as many laps but with strokes such as freestyle or butterfly then you would be basically going for a run if you know what I mean.

I like to go for a slow ride or walk after an intense leg hit out because I find it helps. There is no way that I would really get into any cardio straight after a workout.

At the end of the day we all now know aerobic exercise is a no no straight after anerobic exercise. 😉

January 9, 2006 at 8:21 pm #2136

The purpose of the swim is similar I guess to your gentle walk or bike ride, ie to flush some blood thru the muscles without working them too hard. It is nearly always free style and for about 15 minutes.

There have been times where there is a strong lactic acid burn, which then dissapears after a few more (10) laps. This is probably pushing a bit too far then ?

January 10, 2006 at 4:01 am #2137

yeah, a warm down should be 5 minutes maybe 10 and a very low intensity. Feeling the burn means your going too hard as your aerobic metabolism cant keep up with you. The idea of a slow short swim is probably more beneficial than not though you might be going a bit too hard at the moment

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.