Strongman cut.

Home / Forums / Diet and Nutrition / Strongman cut.

• This topic is empty.
  • Author

Rightio fellas i need your help. Over the last few months i have got up to a nice figure of 112kgs (currently 108). This was great for strength and my lifts are through the roof blah blah BUT! I now have four weeks to get down to a STRONG 104kgs to meet contest weight in the light heavyweight division.

Now to most this would be an easy task, but I am unsure how to go about this without either losing my cool and eating what I like again or going to the extreme and losing strength as well. I need to be as strong as an ox on the day but down a solid 4kgs. I have some fat around the midsection so it seems to me that it shouldn’t be to much of a hassle??

So tell me what would be the best way to go about this, up the protein and drop the carbs or what? How about cardio? You would think I would’ve paid more attention over the years wouldn’t you ha ha…butu remember this is not a bodybuilding cut it is merely designed to keep maximum strength and lose fat only (4-5kgs).

February 23, 2009 at 9:57 am #7803

Why not run some D-bol,,or wait maybe some T-bol. 😉
    I assume your comp is not drug tested.

February 23, 2009 at 8:38 pm #7804

No it’s not. Tell me more about Tbol? I have heard good things as Dbol tends to bloat.

February 24, 2009 at 3:39 am #7805

To not loose strength on the day, dont cut food hardly at all. Eat nearly the same as currently but increase cardio sessions or whatever you do instead of cardio. This would loose you some weight, from using up more calories.

Just dont ask me how much cardio or how much weight you will actually lighten up.

Muscle activation (hence calories burnt) from cardio type exercise is increased when you are as big as you are at the moment. DA

February 24, 2009 at 5:12 am #7806

This is a toughy… its only 4 kgs but you need to be real careful so I agree with the added cardio. Maybe tighten up on your eating habits a little just where you know it is needed. Get a lot of non training exercise like walking and what ever you do at work as I know its physical. You may need to re-evaluate the situation at 2 weeks and 1 and go more drastic then as a last resort.

February 24, 2009 at 6:16 am #7807

So whats the time lapse between when you get weighed and the comp? Is it on the same day?
    You know, like fighters who sometimes make the weight then spend the next day scoffing down pasta to build up their energy stores.
    I recon you could virtually sweat and shit 4kg so maby do some cardio in a tracksuit and give the Metamucil a nudge.

If I were you though, I’d just be washing down huge roast dinners with jugs of beer daily and stepping up to the heavyweight division…

Any chance of posting a breakdown of your current program?

Good luck with it, and make sure to get some pics!..

[/i]

February 24, 2009 at 7:43 am #7808

@kinmassive wrote:

No it’s not. Tell me more about Tbol? I have heard good things as Dbol tends to bloat.

T’bol will not bloat as much as d-bol and the strength gains are good, but if your comp is not drug tested then why not run prop or suspension or you want to avoid pins?

February 24, 2009 at 9:10 am #7809

Oils take to long to kick in, I don’t have that time. Besides what makes you assume i would get on anyway??

February 24, 2009 at 9:25 am #7810

@Dave996 wrote:

So whats the time lapse between when you get weighed and the comp? Is it on the same day?
    You know, like fighters who sometimes make the weight then spend the next day scoffing down pasta to build up their energy stores.
    I recon you could virtually sweat and shit 4kg so maby do some cardio in a tracksuit and give the Metamucil a nudge.

If I were you though, I’d just be washing down huge roast dinners with jugs of beer daily and stepping up to the heavyweight division…

Any chance of posting a breakdown of your current program?

Good luck with it, and make sure to get some pics!..

[/i]

I will see how I go in this show and that will help me decide on whether i am going to go heavyweight or not. I could easily get to 120kg with the right food and training, so if my strength went up with that then hell yeah baby.

My prep right now has consisted of a strict powerlifting routine purely because i have a meet this weekend, so it goes like this right now (I am now on a week off as of tonite):

Monday
    Bench (this is different each week as far as sets and reps go, like a pyramid)
    Decline/Incline 3 x 10
    Wide grip 1 x 10
    Dumbell press 3 x 6-8
    Behind neck press 3 x 8
    Shrugs 3 x 10
    Barbell curls 3 x 8
    Hammer curls 3 x 8
    Crunches

Wednesday
    Deadlift (same as bench)
    Good mornings 3 x 10
    Pull downs 3 x 8-10
    Seated rows 3 x 10
    Close grip bench 3 x 8 (explosive)
    Lat raise (barbell) 3 x 10
    Cheat curls 2 x 6
    Hammer curls 3 x 8
    Leg raise

Friday
    Squat (same as bench and deads)
    Leg ext 3 x 10
    Leg curl 3 x 10
    Leg press 3 x 8 (heavy)
    Calf raise 5 x 15
    static holds (bridging)

Every 2nd satuday
    Event training
    ie
    – atlas stones up to 130kg at 1.6m high in sets (could do more)
    – farmers walk 100kg each hand for time over 50m
    – Log press 90kg x 30 reps
    – 80kg block press single presses
    – 50kg dumbell clean each hand

Then I go home and sleep for a day! 😆

February 24, 2009 at 9:27 am #7811

Time lapse…I forgot to answer that. It is the morning of the show!! Isn’t that a bitch? 😡

February 24, 2009 at 11:51 pm #7812

Firstly let me say that I am no authority on this type of diet so take this advice with a grain of salt.

My approach would be to lose the weight quickly and then eat into the comp. Your strength will be fine if you have been eating well for a couple of days and are full again imo.

If I wanted to shed fat quickly, I’d go keto. Don’t really know how well this would work with such a short time frame because your body takes several days to get into keto mode and I don’t know what happens during that time with regard to fat loss.

If you could get to a sad, depleted 100kg about 4 days out and eat from there then I think it would work well for you. There would be psychological issues though because you’d feel like shit and be weak until you started eating again.

Whatever you do, document it. You’ll want to do this again and you need to know what worked and what didn’t. Believe me you won’t remember what you did or how things worked later, write it down.

Talk to the guys who helped you with the training too. They should know what to do.

edit: One more thing, if you want to manipulate water for a couple of kilos quick loss, drink as much as you can (10 litres a day) for two weeks and then cut back to sips only about 16 hours before your weigh in. Use this if you have the time to replace the water between weigh in and comp. A few bottles of gatorade should do the trick.

February 25, 2009 at 12:04 am #7813

Bull the dudes i train with are all heavyweights and trust me they don’t watch what they eat…straight to Hungry jacks after training! Besides that i weighed in this morning at 104kgs, so i want to get down to about 102-103 for two weeks then adjust accordingly like you said in the last week so that i don’t really deplete at all.

So far my diet is 5-6 meals a day mainly consisting of 3 – 4 steaks throughout the day with steamed vegies like broc, yam and carrot. Brown rice and oats are thrown in also so i don’t crave any carbs.

It’ll be steak and chicken today all day and i have been having two shakes a day and three on training, did gym last nite…really shouldn’t have but i go a bit potty if i don’t…set two PBs on bench and deads. I got absolutely reamed by my team mates for doing so. Ah well…

February 25, 2009 at 10:54 am #7814

Kin, as the weigh in is on comp morning, I read the following info from a top IPF powerlifter:-

“Here is what I do. Drink 4-6litres of water on top of what you normally drink for 2 days prior to weigh in. Also cut out all sodium. Your body will go into ‘flushing’ mode and you’ll piss and piss. You’ll feel bloated as. The night before the comp- say from about 4pm drink 4-5 cups of green tea with ginger and lemon in it. Then from abut 6-7pm stop all fluids and make sure you don’t have any salt/sodium. You’ll keep pissing the fluid out. Make sure at weigh in you have lots of gaterade etc on hand because you’ll be needing the electrolytes. I do this when I need to make weight and 2-3 kilos is very easy.”

February 25, 2009 at 11:21 am #7815

@Chad wrote:

Kin, as the weigh in is on comp morning, I read the following info from a top IPF powerlifter:-

“Here is what I do. Drink 4-6litres of water on top of what you normally drink for 2 days prior to weigh in. Also cut out all sodium. Your body will go into ‘flushing’ mode and you’ll piss and piss. You’ll feel bloated as. The night before the comp- say from about 4pm drink 4-5 cups of green tea with ginger and lemon in it. Then from abut 6-7pm stop all fluids and make sure you don’t have any salt/sodium. You’ll keep pissing the fluid out. Make sure at weigh in you have lots of gaterade etc on hand because you’ll be needing the electrolytes. I do this when I need to make weight and 2-3 kilos is very easy.”

I have done this already to see if it works and in 2 days I dropped 4kg. I am now going to stay light until after the weigh in and then it’s moderate meals all freakin day. Then after that it’ll be straight to sizzler h a ha.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.