starting again

• This topic is empty.
  • Author

just returned the gym and have been put on a programme to get me started.
    at this stage its just machine work, seated cable row, shoulder press, lat pull downs, pec dec, etc etc.
    she’s got me doing the gold old faithful 3 sets of 10 – 12 reps.
    when consulting with the pt, i mentioned i want to put on size.
    from what i have gathered around the traps, less reps is the way to go.
    should i go against her orders and drop the amount of reps to 6 – 8 and bump up the weight, or stick it out a bit longer and reasses in a few months time?

ta

May 22, 2007 at 8:54 am #4377

A PT put you on machine work only. Get a new PT or ditch them all together.
    Yes go against her orders, she has no fucking idea. Pec Dec? didn’t you say you wanted size. *shakes head* I hate PT’s..
    Cable rows..WHY? Barbell rows is the way to go here.
    And let me guess, leg press instead of squats….?

May 23, 2007 at 12:59 am #4378

Hi,

If you are a noob, or even an experianced bodybuilder who has been out of the game for a while.

A PT can help quite a bit. They can help you with your form which is an essential part of your workout, if your form is shit you might as well go home. They can also help you to learn (or learn again) how to push yourself. As with anything there are good and bad PT’s. There are also excellent pt’s. As with most bb i know we have the tendency to go too hard..or even overtrain..PT’s can help you with a balance.

Most pt’s start u on basic hypertrophy with free weights and machines only for your back. Lat pull downs / rows. If your training by yourself they migfht put you on a smith machine. They will start you on basic excersises to make sure you have got them down pat. If you do they will increase resistance and move to harder excersises within 2 weeks.

May 23, 2007 at 3:37 am #4379

I am afraid I agree with ST, ditch the PT and go with basics, machines are too isolating and target specific muscles don’t bring into play the full range of motion and surrounding muscles.

Firstly next time you go into your gym see how often you see somebody doing Squats or chins.

Get the basics right starting with bench press, dips, barbell rows and dump the cable pulldowns and go straight to chin-ups even if you have to go assisted. There is NO better exercise for the back than chins but they are harder so nobody does them(call it human nature), which brings us to squats, SQUATS are the KING of all exercises for overall development, but again as with chins nobody does them because they require alot of effort, but there is no better exercise period!

So do the basics,start light if you have to,but aim for steady progress by increasing resistance/reps EVERY workout,get your diet in order and rest you’ll be surprised how quickly you’ll make gains.

BTW after 8 weeks take at least 10 days off doing NOTHING. Give your body time to rest and recover and then start back on your routine again but drop back the weight and then build up again. repeat this over and over. ie 8 weeks on 2 weeks off.This allows you to continue making steady gains without reaching your maximum lifts. It effectively tricks the muscles.

May 23, 2007 at 5:13 am #4380

yeh, thats why i figured she put me on that programe, just to build up a strength base first, and preogress from there.

thing is with squats, i cant do them.
    ive had issues with both my patella tendons all my life, and cant perform that particular exercise ๐Ÿ™

May 23, 2007 at 5:20 am #4381

@bam_bamm wrote:

yeh, thats why i figured she put me on that programe, just to build up a strength base first, and preogress from there.

thing is with squats, i cant do them.
    ive had issues with both my patella tendons all my life, and cant perform that particular exercise ๐Ÿ™

Barbell hack squats (basically a deadlift with the bar behind your calfs) might get round that issue but I guess you’ve got to be carefull.

Otherwise basic free weight exercises should form the core of your training. If you are a noob just use lighter weights and concentrate on form.

Personally, I believe machines have there place but more so in intermediate and advanced training programs.

J

May 23, 2007 at 5:46 am #4382

thanks for the tip there dr, sounds like a good way to get around the problem.

there are plenty of big units at my gym, hope they let me use the smaller plates so i can slowly build up. ๐Ÿ˜†

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.