Stabilizing Muscles

Home / Forums / Weight Training & Conditioning / Stabilizing Muscles

• This topic is empty.
  • Author

Does anyone know of any ways to increase the strength of ur stabilizing muscles ? i.e. for dumbell workouts …dumbell incline , shoulders –

I find I can do wonders with a bar, with dumbells I have to drop the weight drastically – when i asked a gym dude why – I was told it was my stabilizing muscles?

Can anyone explain why this is and perhaps if I can increase the strength of my stabilizing muscles by doing some stretching or certain types of excersises…plyometrics etc..?? something…its really bugging me

ur help is much appreciated

August 16, 2007 at 4:07 am #4752

I tried doing 35kg Dumbell Shoulder Press.

With someone stabilizing me it was a piece of cake, but as soon as they let go……..have mercy…I just cant hold them in one place

hey look i found this while replying to another post about lunges –
    [url]
    http://www.exrx.net/Kinesiology/Glossary.html#anchor1276508%5B/url%5D

can someone explaijn it to me as I have no idea :P?

August 16, 2007 at 4:48 am #4753

A beginner lifter is basically undeveloped and could be classed a danger to him/herself. Not only are the big muscle sets undeveloped, but the stabilisers may be nearly non-existent.

On the EXRX site exercise descriptions, it lists the main muscles affected, then a second list of stabilisers. The main muscle sets are the ones you are thinking you are aiming at when doing the exercise – but the stabilisers – normally smaller muscles around the main muscle area are used to support/stabilise the exercises function, this is more pronounced when free weights are used, and the bodies balance is used/needed.

Without these being developed the whole push or pull will fail. Hence 0 to 2 year trainees will need to do light to medium weight work for a while to help these stabilisers develop to a degree that heavier weight lifting will be be possible, even as far as a heavy 1RM on the big lifts, without straining or f***ing yourself up.

Does that help? DA

August 16, 2007 at 7:24 am #4754

Is there any other way to strengthen these muscles?

August 16, 2007 at 9:45 am #4755

also when someone holds you that also gives you a firmer base which translates to more strength (like trying to get a better base for a bench press gives you more strength).

your stabilizers will grow in strength as you do but using dumbbells will help putting a little extra effort into bringing them up (try one arm bench press and shoulder presses etc etc etc).

You cant really target them properly so just going about your normal training and trying some more DB lifts and a few less BB or machine lifts will help keep you training right.

August 18, 2007 at 2:41 am #4756

@Derek Amos wrote:

A beginner lifter is basically undeveloped and could be classed a danger to him/herself. Not only are the big muscle sets undeveloped, but the stabilisers may be nearly non-existent. DA

DITTO!

The only way is patience for you my friend. And stop letting your spotter do all the work for you. Leave your ego at the door brother and drop weights until you’re ready. 🙂

August 20, 2007 at 7:33 am #4757

Scarecrows will help you with this.

October 22, 2007 at 11:36 pm #4758

I alternate hyperextensions with roman chair sit ups every session.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.