Sore Knees

• This topic is empty.
  • Author

Has anyone had problems with sore knees while squatting and fixed the problem? If so, how?

My knees are always sore squatting. Usually, I just grin and bear it but today after my first set the pain in my right knee was quite sharp as I came up to the top of each rep.

Of course, I did another set but aborted after 1 rep of the fourth.

Was so pissed off I went and did some sets on the adductor and abductor machines. Then went home and am icing the trouble maker now.

J

April 17, 2007 at 5:53 am #4250

Dr J your a candidate for Sharks Cartilage as an aid to fixing the problem. Chondroitin I think they call it.

You do keep your knees in line with your feet direction when bending under weight of course ??? Like in any kind of Dead, Squat, Sumo squat etc. If you dont – and I couldn’t imagine you dont, then it would take some months to heal until you didnt have a twinge of pain there.

Do you play hard court basketball, if can **** knees good?

Your not hiding 300lbs of fat somewhere? this could cause knee pain – just carrying it around! πŸ™‚ DA

April 17, 2007 at 8:12 am #4251

Glucosamine

April 18, 2007 at 4:11 am #4252

Dr J – Now we have a use for all this spam in the forum, Try Irina’sSHit for her cheap pharmacy offer on Glucosamine with a shark fin? DA

April 18, 2007 at 4:49 am #4253

Except the spam is giving me a sore head πŸ‘Ώ

April 18, 2007 at 10:15 pm #4254

Yes! Yes! Yes me-I stopped squating at the begining of my workouts and did some leg press first then squat-the warm up always helped. I even got to the point of only squatting every 3rd leg workout….If this doesn’t help…..sorry DrJ Its old age πŸ˜†

April 18, 2007 at 10:24 pm #4255

@IAN wrote:

DrJ Its old age πŸ˜†

The answer I was afraid of πŸ˜†

April 20, 2007 at 12:25 am #4256

I will assume your form is good – but shearing force was doing it to me. Knees in front of feet…

I thought my form was ok but I changed this thanks to a friend videoing my form.

Perhaps it is old age! πŸ˜•

April 20, 2007 at 1:23 am #4257

I used to get knee pain from squatting as well. It was only after I got my hamstring strength up and adopted a wider stance that it got better?

I read somewhere in T-nation that glucosamine mucks around with testosterone pathways, I think it was written by Cy Wilson. He still recommends chrondroitin or whatever.

April 20, 2007 at 2:55 am #4258

Here is a total opposite approach, that I used to do 10 years ago.

Take up the practise of low stance – slow – Tai Chi. It can break such problems because of its slow form and restore natural energy flow to the body.

It may take a year to learn and many more to make perfect. I did it for 15 years, stopping around 1996. DA

April 21, 2007 at 2:26 am #4259

On second thoughts, and closer to bodybuilding, I recall the T-Nation article about Bullet Proofing your knees.
    http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=06-101-training
    This has subjects matter throughout about knee pains and possible fixes. Take a look at No.5 solution and No.9 & 10. I am sure you will find the answer to your aches here. D.A

December 3, 2007 at 6:34 am #4260

I’ve been having trouble with my knees for a while, and lately it got considerably worse – left knee grinding and crunching.

I decided I needed some more strength in my quads… I use a reasonably wide stance, sit back into the squat, and squat deep and it really ends up being a glute/hamstring lift mainly. I think my quads (especially VMO) were lagging in strength.

So I’ve been doing front squats exclusively lately, and following that up with pistols (i.e. one legged squats) and sometimes walking lunges (not where you bring your feet together on each step, but step all the way through on each step, ouch). Quads a getting stronger, and my knee feels a LOT better.

I’m pretty sure an imbalance either way – quads or hams – would cause knee problems.

Only trouble now is the front squats are fucking with my wrists pretty badly πŸ™‚

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.