Shrugs, are they an isolation exercise?

Home / Forums / Weight Training & Conditioning / Shrugs, are they an isolation exercise?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Well are they?

March 7, 2006 at 9:08 pm #2423

I’d say yes if its with a machine or from the rack and no if your lifting from the floor πŸ˜€

March 8, 2006 at 12:24 am #2424

@IAN wrote:

I’d say yes if its with a machine or from the rack and no if your lifting from the floor πŸ˜€

Shrugs from the floor. That would be a great exercise Ian. Wonder it hasn’t been invented already. What would you call it? πŸ˜†

March 8, 2006 at 3:01 am #2425

Shruglift πŸ˜€ …At the moment I’m trying all my lifts from the floor and not using the rack at all just to see if this has an all over stimulating effect.

March 8, 2006 at 3:15 am #2426

Enough already. πŸ™‚

You walk up to the dumbbell rack pick a couple of dumbbells, step back and shrug. Compound or isolation?

And vote damn you! It’s the price of freedom πŸ˜‰

March 8, 2006 at 4:34 am #2427

@IAN wrote:

Shruglift πŸ˜€ …At the moment I’m trying all my lifts from the floor and not using the rack at all just to see if this has an all over stimulating effect.

Ok. You’re too cunning for me. I’m assuming that you got my joke and just ignored it. The point I was making is that your exercise is just a deadlift.

Dr J It is an isolation movement. I voted already.

March 8, 2006 at 6:30 am #2428

EXRX.NET rates DB Shrugs as an Isolated movement:
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/TrapeziusUpper/DBShrug.htmlBut the things you guys are proposing stretch that a bit! DA

March 8, 2006 at 8:17 am #2429

its isolation becoz ur moving 1 joint ie: curls, skullcrushers, leg extentsion

compound is moving 2 joints: bench, squats, rows

March 8, 2006 at 8:38 am #2430

It’s only isolation with very good form. Some of the guys I see doing it at my gym are getting a whole body workout !! Amazing since even the calves are really being used πŸ™‚

March 8, 2006 at 12:32 pm #2431

I believe most shoulder/trap exercises are pretty much compound style lifts.

March 9, 2006 at 5:10 am #2432

Thats coz most people caint control the little movement needed.

Take a geek at this animated BB Shrug;http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/traps2.php

His kneecaps didnt move, but somehow he smiles at every crunch! DA

March 9, 2006 at 5:28 am #2433

@Derek Amos wrote:

His kneecaps didnt move, but somehow he smiles at every crunch! DA[/color]

That’s not a smile. He’s grimacing ’cause his legs are on backwards and his biceps have slipped into his forearms 😈

Any more opinions/votes or shall I announce the winner?

J

March 9, 2006 at 5:41 am #2434

@Bull wrote:

@IAN wrote:

Ok. You’re too cunning for me. I’m assuming that you got my joke and just ignored it. The point I was making is that your exercise is just a deadlift.

Dr J It is an isolation movement. I voted already.

πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

March 9, 2006 at 9:56 pm #2435

From the supertraining news group

John Casler writes:

Actually Shrugs are not an isolation exercise. They are a full “closed kinetic chain” from hands to feet (unless you do them seated) Granted they are good at hitting the “target group”, but it is not in isolation.

That would make Kinmassive the winner πŸ™‚

March 9, 2006 at 11:50 pm #2436

Who died and left “John Casler” in charge? 😈

I thought the definition of compound was ‘two levers’ i.e. two joints and isolation was one lever. I can see the point but doesn’t fit the definition I’m familiar with.

Congratulations km, go to the head of the class big fella. Bet you haven’t been teachers pet too often. πŸ˜€

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.