Rehab

• This topic is empty.
  • Author

Do any of you guys use any rehab or even prehab in your training programs? Just trying to get the general idea about most lifters thoughts on the topic for my own research.

March 24, 2010 at 2:46 am #8777

Prevention is the best cure for sure.

I take care to do warm up sets before my work set, and then flog the body part to death – safely.

DC is still my fav’ method for training, & I’d rate DC’s extreme stretching method for a way to tone and prepare the body for the next workout. I figure there is something about the stretch technique that releases stored tension in a muscle, along with its benefit of muscle growth.

Since starting DC a few years ago now I didn’t run into rotator cuff problems, or most other muscle strains.

One thing that must be said is that body alignment and correct form seem to be most probable causes of injury from weight lifting. So special care does need to be done in researching and practising bodybuilding. Otherwise injury will show itself.

DC uses ‘Cruzin’ every so often to lighten up on the heavy work and just do lighter – higher rep work, a for a week or so. Personally I just take time off. DA

March 24, 2010 at 11:56 pm #8778

Thanks for the info Derek. DC has some interesting facilitated stretching techniques which I like as long as people are careful. Do you do anything outside of this such as mobility (dynamic stretching and movement drills etc) training or massage?

EDIT: also is the stretching supposed to be performed immediately post workout?

March 25, 2010 at 8:19 am #8779

Well, the DC stretches are done immediately after the last exercise set, whilst the muscle is fully flushed with blood (swoled up). I usually take extra Creatine (15 to 20gm) before & during the workout to be as sure as poss’ of getting a good pump. The stretches hurt, but only in the exercised area, and generally on the outside of the muscle. I found them safe as long as you have enough training behind you, say 3 years at least. This gives time for synergistic muscle sets to aquire some support growth and the main muscle set aimed at to be not weak, but well used to training full throttle.

I once did Tai Chi for around 15 years, so I am quite flexible naturally. Nowadays I do Pa Kua as the only other output, besides active walking at work, and I cycle to work, so no cardio, and very very rarely any other forms of stretching. These stretches are a way I test accruing tightness, so I use it to look into my current state for any changes/tension. No massage either – I hate being mauled by some jolly green monster (big hands), even if its supposed to be good for me. DA

March 26, 2010 at 5:13 am #8780

Thanks for the info derek.

Anybody else doing any prehab/rehab work?
    Im looking at you KM as you are lifting a lot of heavy shit these days.
    Also didnt you have some joint problems unbuff?

March 26, 2010 at 11:50 pm #8781

@dave wrote:

Also didnt you have some joint problems unbuff?

Yeah, with my right shoulder. I’ll never know for a certain what exactly happened, but it happened during wide grip weighted pullups, I simply used a grip waaayy too wide, and something in my shoulder pinched. Took about 8 weeks before I could fully use it again. I’m grateful it wasn’t super serious, the doc checked it out, and said I had “burred” it, whatever that means.

Time and a few natural remedies is what healed it… but I’ll always have it.

I like doing these from time to time for it, might do some now 🙂

March 28, 2010 at 3:17 am #8782

You never went to a physio for any instructions to help rehab it? Does it still hurt/feel uncomfortable/weak?

March 28, 2010 at 6:21 am #8783

@dave wrote:

You never went to a physio for any instructions to help rehab it? Does it still hurt/feel uncomfortable/weak?

A chiro gave me exercises, but they just seemed to aggravate it. I also get on and off sports/remedial massages and make it a point for them to work on it, just for maintenance.

Shoulder only hurts at random times. I can never pinpoint exactly what will flare it up, or how long its going to hurt for. The pain comes deep from the front shoulder, kinda wear the collar bone joins the shoulder. If I roll my shoulder back and push it forward (if that makes sense) it will begin to click each time i do so. When it is sore, its a pinching pain, that when it kicks in, ill temporarily stop what im doing, swear, and then continue till it happens again.

Aslong as I use proper form with anything involving shoulders, im perfectly fine. I also went to bench my best of 142kg x 5reps, and found no problems in my shoulder as I did it.

March 28, 2010 at 7:57 am #8784

Interesting, it sounds like the AC joint from where you talk about the pain. Do you have tight lats, pecs, anterior delt head? It could be your acromion process (the A in the AC joint) impinging on your main shoulder joint or even a nerve. But it could just be due to poor scapula stability that is leading to a poorly aligned and therefore dysfunctional shoulder. You should really go to a physio if it is continuing. Screw the chiro they are worthless from joint pain besides some temporary relief. Get massage on you pecs, lats, rhomboids, rotator cuff and shoulder when you get a massage. It’s interesting that you just work around it as as you get older it will definately get worse especially with more lifting.

March 28, 2010 at 11:50 am #8785

@dave wrote:

Interesting, it sounds like the AC joint from where you talk about the pain. Do you have tight lats, pecs, anterior delt head? It could be your acromion process (the A in the AC joint) impinging on your main shoulder joint or even a nerve. But it could just be due to poor scapula stability that is leading to a poorly aligned and therefore dysfunctional shoulder. You should really go to a physio if it is continuing. Screw the chiro they are worthless from joint pain besides some temporary relief. Get massage on you pecs, lats, rhomboids, rotator cuff and shoulder when you get a massage. It’s interesting that you just work around it as as you get older it will definately get worse especially with more lifting.

Honestly, what is it they could do for it, besides taking my money?

If I try to remember the last time it bothered me during a workout, would have to be… end of last year. I have no idea, but during work it was being a pain, which followed into training.. but funnily enough, as I benched, it went away.

I just read 2 of mike mentzers books finally, and now doing HIT, I won’t get into it, but I think its better, as I don’t have to train as often (rest up to 7days) and what could be better for my shoulder.

I appreciate your concern as well, Perhaps If I get some free time soon, ill call up a physio I know who has a good rep and see what he has to say

March 28, 2010 at 12:30 pm #8786

A good physio with an idea of lifting can give you some ideas of exercises that you can use in your workout and outside of your workout. They can also do some good manual therapy on you.

HIT training will drop the repetitive stress that volume training will put on your shoulder joint. mentzer was a little too extreme for my tastes though.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.