Recovery Week

• This topic is empty.
  • Author

Every 4 or 5 weeks we should take a recovery or back off week if we’ve been training hard.

I don’t know if I ever get these right. I either do nothing (ie, stay away from the gym or any other training activity) or I’ll try something different which quickly escalates to gut busting training.

This week I planned to head to the beach each day for a frolic in the surf like you see the league players doing after a big game but so far haven’t managed to get any sand between the toes.

What do the rest of you do?

February 26, 2008 at 9:59 am #6023

I’m either all out or nothing…I know i should have an easy week every so often but meh…… ❗

February 27, 2008 at 2:43 am #6024

I always used to do nothing for a week, when I was feeling overloaded or extra tired.

Recently however, I started doing the ‘Cruisin’ idea from DC training. It involves doing 20’s per set with an appropriate light weigh – that doesn’t go to failure on any set, and no rest pauses. These are done fastish with no slow negatives – so its concentric training, I think its called GPP in other terminology.

It makes you sweat and puff like crazy, but definately releases the overtraining problem. DA

March 3, 2008 at 8:41 am #6025

Im in the middle of a 5×5 routine at the moment. i should start making pbs in about 4 weeks. i wont have a rest week unless my body really needs it…while the weights are goin up ill just keep training….
    in saying that i havnt had a rest week for a long time but if i dont feel well i wont train, not much point fukin up a workout if u can hold off a day until u come good.
    next time i do have a rest week id have to agree about the beach idea, slight cardio and tanning….its all about the package!

March 4, 2008 at 3:03 am #6026

I will run a program to conclusion – I usually set them up for anything from 8-12 weeks. Because I train in progressive load fashion, I start lighter & build up to setting new PB’s so the start of the program is a little easier on the body.

That said. between each program I have a week off, two if needed, strategic deconditioning HST style to allow for recovery & this also makes the lighter start to the program a little more challenging as you are out of the groove so to speak.

March 6, 2008 at 7:35 am #6027

i agree danoz. if u start ur new routine too heavy i find its harder to keep them goin up, where as starting lighter helps the weights go up for longer- if that makes sence..

March 7, 2008 at 1:33 am #6028

Usually just have a couple of days off and go light for the next couple of days 🙂

March 13, 2008 at 12:15 am #6029

Somethin’ always tends to happen and I have to take time off. So I don’t really get a choice ha ha.

June 8, 2008 at 12:18 am #6030

Great thread, I searched for it as I think I need a week off. I might try the active rest with a new fullbody ‘olskool’ routine I want to try. (keeping it light of course)

Dr J, the Tri-set routine nearlly killed me, 2 weeks was enough (Ive also got this flu thing going on, it hasnt quite set in, but I still feel ‘ok’). According to the online BF calculator I’m down to under 10% I think its bs, as I can’t see the abs, only when flexing. I think I need a change up of the diet. Heard of the keto?

June 8, 2008 at 10:50 pm #6031

For the rest week I’ve just had actually managed two days of bodyweight exercises and stretching.

I think full on keto is pretty tough mainly because the constant very low (no) carb levels mean you can’t get as much fruit and veg as you should.

I prefer to cut right back on starchs but maintain (boost) veg and fruit levels. I’m back to good old fashioned oranges as a boost to immunity. 2 to 3 a day!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.