Protein synthesis and nutrient uptake

Home / Forums / Diet and Nutrition / Protein synthesis and nutrient uptake

• This topic is empty.
  • Author

I know that the uptake of protein and nutrients is at its highest just after training, however when does this protein and nutrients get converted into muscle? From what i can find, the general school of thought is that muscle growth occurs during sleep when the body has the highest levels of test.

This all confuses me though, since i know a few guys who are on the gear, only pills though, and they take the stuff every couple of hours. If the body uptakes most of the nutrients after training and then grows during sleep, why do all the juicers take there stuff throughout the day? I have been told its to get even blood levels or something, but this dosnt make sense to me since growth occurs during sleep.

So in the end i just wanna know how these processes pretty much πŸ˜•

April 14, 2008 at 11:28 am #6233

I think the sleep is just necessary for the hormone production. Growth/repair occurs all the time, the testosterone simply enters the cells to help the process along, more testosterone = increased chance it’s going to enter more cells.

Muscle repair/growth doesn’t seem to occur unless glycogen levels in the muscles/liver are near filled. If glycogen levels aren’t full the body prefers to divert energy to making them full. This makes sense in an survival sense, no point in growing your body when it’s lacking glycogen (energy) content, you could be starving for instance and need all the energy for survival rather than growing bigger.

So when trying to seek muscle growth you need a lot of carbs, then you need testosterone to enter your muscles (the more the better) combined with amino acids in the blood stream to facilitate the growth/repair. To break it down, when bulking have a shit load of carbs and protein in the diet, with minimal fats (enough for hormone synthesis, but any extra is going straight to body fat).

April 15, 2008 at 4:22 am #6234

thanx that explained it pretty good πŸ˜€

April 15, 2008 at 5:20 am #6235

The other thing is a workouts increase on muscle synthesis is at a maximum level 24 hours after a workout and nearly back to normal levels after 48 hours.

So to maximize muscle growth you’d be best to look at working out every 48 hours using a full body workout which ensures every muscle is going to grow. (ie you reduce the amount of sets you do until your body can recover every 2 days).

For reference, I do 2 chest sets, 2 bent over row sets, 1-2 biceps sets, 2 squat sets and 2 calf raise sets. Sometimes I will add a shoulder and tricep set, but they get worked plenty in the chest/row exercises usually. Takes about 45-60 mins depending on some factors. Just recently I started doing different exercises for some of the routines and mixing and matching, ie 2 chest flyes for a few workouts, then back to bench press for a few. That is how you get the exercise variation that you would normally achieve in the “one body part per week” workout routine where you may do 3 sets of bench, 3 sets of flyes for a total of 6 sets.

Though maybe there is some method to “one body part per week” routines in regards to which muscles your body may prefer to grow… I only ever do full body routines and I’m growing fairly well so I’m not sure if it’s that important and if there is muscle growth preferences or not… just a theory I am mulling over. Either way in regards to TOTAL muscle growth, working out every 48 hours will give you the most growth over any period of time.

April 15, 2008 at 6:44 am #6236

I should give fullbody another go then.

April 15, 2008 at 8:07 am #6237

@unbuff wrote:

I should give fullbody another go then.

Welcome to pain then! At least when doing a protein only diet and your glycogen is depleted and you have to do a workout every 2-3 days! πŸ™‚

One tip, leave squats till last. 😈

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.