Powerlifting!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • Author

Well I have started! I had been thinking of doing it for some time but now I am actually going to compete. I have my first meet in 3 weeks. Unfortunately I only decided on Sunday ha ha. Gotta start somewhere I spose.

As I finished this season of footy I have been asked by other clubs to join them and have actually been offered $400 to play for a win…thought about but I have to be realistic, I am 30 in about 2mths and my health is paramount to my sucess in business. Basically if I get hurt I am screwed.

So what do I do? I started weights again 4 times a week and then I went to the Oz strongman comp in Brissie…that was it 😯

All I want to do now is train for this type of sport, I loved it and I reckon I could do okay at it also. Anyway I am doing a deadlift meet in a few weeks like I stated and I am keen as to have a go at this new interest.

I am slim as at the moment and only weighing in at 98-100kgs so this will help with my positioning in the under 100kgs division. There is also a bench comp prior which I may do as well. It may have been posted before but are there any other guy’s here who compete in powerlifting??

I am keen to learn all I can.

Ha ha Dave you were right, throwing around big weights is fun.

November 14, 2008 at 12:47 am #7284

What are you lift numbers?

November 14, 2008 at 1:22 am #7285

Pretty ordinary really but you have to start somewhere I guess. Right now my lifts are as follows:

Bench = 115kgs
    Dead = 195kgs
    Squat = 150kgs

This is now. I have done NO specific training whatsover up until this week, which i have focused on Deads, so to be honest those lifts are only a guess really but i assume that is what I’d be doing without exagerating.

In a few months i know my lifts will be in the range of:

Bench = 140kgs
    Dead = 230kgs
    Squat = 180kgs

My main aim is to stay around 100kgs if I can and just gain strength for the time being and once i have gained some technique and strength then i will add body weight to assist in biggers lifts, who knows I may hate it and give it the flick in 6mths??? So I am not gonig to change my body comp completly just yet for the sake of a whim.

November 14, 2008 at 1:41 am #7286

Good luck with that.

November 14, 2008 at 1:46 am #7287

ha ha yeah I’ll need it. I was talking with a dude last nite who watched a guy push a 320kg bench last meet!!!!!!!!!

November 14, 2008 at 5:33 am #7288

what reps are the bench and squats?

November 14, 2008 at 6:05 am #7289

I’d assume they would be 1rm’s. No prizes for doing more than 1 in Powerlifting.

November 17, 2008 at 9:06 pm #7290

Whichever direction you choose to take I think you cant go wrong. Almost to a man the most impressive pysique’s in bodybuilding belong to guys with a powerlifting background.

November 17, 2008 at 9:30 pm #7291

I would definately agree with that.

My lifts as of Saturday: x 2

240kg rack pulls
    125kg flat bench

Will do a max on squat soon. I did on Saturday a series of partial box squats etc with 140-150kgs to try and strengthen my lower phase. I also dropped the weight to 110kgs and did very low partials off parralel. Felt really good.

I did the same with bench prior to the max lift and they felt great to. With the rack pulls I am working on the lock out phase as I don’t seem to have any dramas lifting well over 200kgs but I get stuck at knee level and with about 210kgs I feel as though my chest will tear apart???? Anyway did the rack pulls as described by a website and felt alot more comfortable.

Looking forward to this weeks training as i feel i am going to do well, feel strong. 8)

By the way I have set some goals for this time next year (so I can refer back)

Bench 150kg
    Squat 200kg
    Dead 290kg

Total = 640kg

This total would qualify me for high level competition.

November 17, 2008 at 10:22 pm #7292

KM

How’s about posting up your diet ( if you’re changing it , that is. )

Ive also some tips that may help improve your lifts:

Shave your head.

Grow a goatee.

Get your hands on any music by Disturbed.

Get yourself a black beanie with a ‘West coast Choppers’ logo. ( optional )

And yes, I do enjoy a bit of You Tube now and then…..

πŸ˜‰

November 17, 2008 at 11:24 pm #7293

Ha ha that was very funny ha ha. I will post up a diet soon as it has changed slightly. Higher clean cals more than anything. πŸ˜†

December 6, 2008 at 11:06 am #7294

Just got home form the meet. WOW what an eye opener. I love the sport and i am going to stick with it for sure.

The lifts have rules which I was a bit pissed about, particularly the bench as you have to pause when instructed at the bottom and then press the weight hold again then rack.

There are ways around it but here are my lifts.

125kg bench
    Missed 130kg

215kg dead
    JUST missed 230kg

I really thought I had the 230 but the body just wouldn’t pull it into a lock out position. haha ha I was starting to wobble all over the place.

Anyway great day and i would reccomend it to anyone wanting to challenge themselves. Next meet is a 3 lift day in Feb. Anyone who may be interested please contact me either open or PM.

December 6, 2008 at 12:41 pm #7295

Powerlifting is just an excuse to be fat ….. πŸ˜€

December 6, 2008 at 12:42 pm #7296

@Dave996 wrote:

Whichever direction you choose to take I think you cant go wrong. Almost to a man the most impressive pysique’s in bodybuilding belong to guys with a powerlifting background.

I dont think the most aesthetic physiques in bodybuilding have come from a powerlifting background at all! Who exactly are you talking about?

December 6, 2008 at 11:50 pm #7297

@bodytek wrote:

Powerlifting is just an excuse to be fat ….. πŸ˜€

You push my buttons mate you really do.

These are two totally differnt disciplines that cannot be compared.
    Fucken moron. πŸ™„

Go and highjack someone elses thread. πŸ‘Ώ

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.