post-cardio nutrition

Home / Forums / Diet and Nutrition / post-cardio nutrition

• This topic is empty.
  • Author

It is my understanding that dextrose/maltodextrin/protein shakes are for weight training only. Can the same shake be used post-cardio training? If not, what do you do for post-cardio nutrition?

September 12, 2006 at 11:27 am #3097

Depends on your needs and the session. If you are trying to lose weight and it was a light sessions then you could probably just have a normal meal and be fine. If you are in for performance and it was either a very long or demanding session then similar post workout nutrition is advisable. If you want size and you are doing the old cardio routine then you want post workout nutrition then aswell to keep your calories up.

September 12, 2006 at 10:56 pm #3098

Thank you, Dave. Now I just need to classify my cardio properly. I do 45 minutes of elliptical trainer first thing in the morning at least every other day. (HR is leasurely 140-150; I have low resting hr and am 41). Sometimes I compliment morning cardio with an evening session. Typically, that would be 45 minutes on a treadmill, 12.5 km/h at 6% incline. (Sometimes I do 12.5 km/h @ 12% or 17.5 km/h @ 0%, but only last for 20 minutes. And not lasting long enough brings bad high school memories and is damaging to my self-esteem). And yes, I am trying to lose fat. So, do I need a post-cardio carbs/protein shake?

September 13, 2006 at 11:58 pm #3099

sounds fairly low intensity (i.e. high intensity would be repeated 400-800m sprints with a rest inbetween). You could probably just have a meal afterwards such as a rye sandwich or oats etc etc etc. If you are doing two sessions in a day though and its tires you out you could always down a moderately sized post workout drink after the morning session (say 30g or so dextrose 20g protein). It might help replenish your energy for the next session that night, but that is only if you need the recovery. Otherwise just eat afterwards but keep it to a normal healthy meal.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.