Oils aint oils ?

Home / Forums / Diet and Nutrition / Oils aint oils ?

• This topic is empty.
  • Author

I was in the supermarket the other day getting some olive oil for salads etc.
    I was looking at the “flavour infused” olive oils (garlic, chilli,basil etc) and noticed that the saturated fat content was like 70% !
    Compared to extra virgin olive oil which was about 13% saturated and canola oil was only 8%.

As far as I know saturated fat is evil ? At what percentage would you cal it not acceptable ?

Also, what effect does heating (frying) have on the oil; does it change the composition?

October 10, 2006 at 11:57 pm #3277

Oh google is my friend 🙂

http://www.hormel.com/templates/knowledge/knowledge.asp?catitemid=40&id=189

…When used for cooking, the healthy aspects of olive oil do not change as the oil is heated.

Olive oil is good source of the antioxidant, vitamin E. It contains 1.6 mg. of vitamin E per tablespoon, which is 8% of the recommended daily allowance…

According to the above page olive oil is only meant to have 14% saturated fat. Maybe these “flavour infused” oils have been messed around with ?

October 26, 2006 at 1:10 am #3278

actually speaking of oils does it matter if you supplement with fishoil OR flaxseed OR udos or do they all provide the same benefit ?

some people say take one or the other, are they interchangable ?

eg. berardi suggests a lot of fish oil ..

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.