Obesity costs us $11 billion

Home / Forums / All the Goss / Obesity costs us $11 billion

• This topic is empty.
  • Author

Is it just me or is that a lot of money?

In case you missed it Obesity bill more than health budget

J

March 1, 2006 at 9:35 pm #2403

I guess the real question is how much is that out of your pocket?

Well if a billion is 1000 million and the Australian population is 20 million, that would be $550 ❗

Did I get that right?

March 2, 2006 at 12:31 am #2404

i think a more accurate figure would be if you used the number of people in the australian workforce paying taxes.

still thats a lot of money.
    😯

mr 32

March 2, 2006 at 1:51 am #2405

Had an interesting discussion with someone the other day about this problem. They said that the experts are expecting a public backlash against fat people similar to what smokers get now.

With all the information about the cost to society, people will begin to reset the boundaries of what is accepted and start telling fatties to put the donuts down. If you told someone that they are spending hundreds of dollars a year keeping these people alive then most will be prepared to start offending people.

My sister is a smoker and she can’t wait. She has been copping it for years and is keen to have someone else to sink the boot into. πŸ˜†

March 2, 2006 at 2:10 am #2406

I’m not a fan of smokers but at least they pay for health care as they go!

If there are 12 million tax payers, it’s cost each tax payer a grand a year!

March 2, 2006 at 7:56 am #2407

But they payed tax on the food that made them fat? so does that entitle them to there share of the healthcare?

March 2, 2006 at 8:53 am #2408

@IAN wrote:

But they payed tax on the food that made them fat? so does that entitle them to there share of the healthcare?

Nope. If you are talking about GST then it simply replaced other indirect taxes and income tax so there is no tax grab in there to fund health care costs.

They are entitled to their share of the healthcare budget but only their share. Currently they are soaking up 11 billion. That would improve a lot of roads or schools.

March 2, 2006 at 9:26 am #2409

yes, i could do driving on some finer roads then watching fat c@%ts stuff there face at maccas

March 2, 2006 at 9:29 am #2410

Most food is GST free (but not protein powders πŸ˜₯ ).

To be fair not all of the 11 bill is health care costs but includes lost wages.

I’m imagining a sick note “Dr J could not come to work today because he was unable to lever his big fat arse out of bed” 😈

March 2, 2006 at 10:01 am #2411

@unbuff wrote:

yes, i could do driving on some finer roads then watching fat c@%ts stuff there face at maccas

What are YOU doing at Maccas anyway???? πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

March 2, 2006 at 10:29 am #2412

@kinmassive wrote:

@unbuff wrote:

What are YOU doing at Maccas anyway???? πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

i was driving past, over potholes!! 😑

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.