Newbie to weights looking for some help

Home / Forums / Help, I’m New to the Iron Game / Newbie to weights looking for some help

• This topic is empty.
  • Author

Hey ok first im 17 and i want to get bigger put some muscle on cos im to skinny im 6ft 1″ and 67kg
    how much should lift how many reps and sets?
    i started lifting 3 weeks ago ive been doing on the bench press 30kg 10 reps a set, got 30lb dum bells do 10 each arm per set, and i have a barbell with 20kg on it i do 10 curls a set with that and do bout 3 sets of them all every day.
    is what im doing ok any tips on what i should do. im deffently getting stronger cos i couldnt do 10 reps at 30kg when i started.

September 5, 2009 at 6:26 am #8535

I’m sure you’ll get lots of good advice here.

My suggestion is that you first need to focus on what you eat (Let us know what you’re eating now).

If you’re a newbie and you eat right you’ll grow and it won’t be that important what you do in the gym. Well maybe as long as it’s based around some big lifts like squat, deadlift, pull up and bench.

September 6, 2009 at 1:51 am #8536

Can this post be moved to where it is supposed to be?

September 6, 2009 at 5:50 am #8537

What you mean i thourt this is the right section.
    Now what do i eat well thats a tough one cos i just eat whatever i want when im hungry lol, ive never realy been a big eater btu ive been trying to eat more since i started weights a few weeks ago and ive noticed im hungry more often also since ive started, i dont know how to eat when training some help there would be great tyx, all i know is protein and carbs are good.

Also im in need of some good exercises cas all i know is the bench press and curls with dum bells and the barbell.

September 6, 2009 at 10:19 am #8538

Mate, do a bit of reading of old threads both here and on other boards if you are on them. They will give you heaps of info, on diet especially. There is way too much to put up here for you.

I’ll try to give you a few pointers.

1. Eat about 2-3 grams of protein per kilo of bodyweight each day.
    2. There are good fats, you need to know what these are and what foods they are in.
    3. Carbs are not all the same. Different carb foods digest at different rates and that is important to both training results and body composition.
    4. Breakfast is very important.
    5. The right nutrition around training is important.

September 14, 2009 at 9:55 am #8539

@reddevil6 wrote:

Hey ok first im 17 and i want to get bigger put some muscle on cos im to skinny im 6ft 1″ and 67kg

FUCK ME!! 6ft 1″ and only 67kg LMFAO!!!

September 14, 2009 at 1:10 pm #8540

Hhhhhmmmm I was 70kg at 6’3 when I was 15, but then again I was up to 90kgs when I was 17 after I stopped growing upwards. He may be still in his growth spurt stage.

Also your weight training is terrible buy typical of teenagers I think everyone went through the chest and bi’s only training program when they were young. You need to look at some of the other newbie posts and see what kind of exercises they do and I would suggest going to http://www.tnation.com and checking out their begginer training articles for programs. In short you need to add exercises for your legs, back and pretty much every other part of your body besides chest and biceps.

September 15, 2009 at 9:34 am #8541

@reddevil6 wrote:

how much should lift how many reps and sets?
    i started lifting 3 weeks ago ive been doing on the bench press 30kg 10 reps a set, got 30lb dum bells do 10 each arm per set, and i have a barbell with 20kg on it i do 10 curls a set with that and do bout 3 sets of them all every day.
    is what im doing ok any tips on what i should do. im deffently getting stronger cos i couldnt do 10 reps at 30kg when i started.

Yeah there’s nothing wrong with light weights and high reps, its safer this way as well and you will build a better looking physique and your body will have better conditioning than someone who does low reps.

I think you could do with some Callesthenics e.g. Push-Ups, Dips, Chin-Ups and Free Weight Squats/Lunges/Calf Raises. Callesthenics are great for the whole physique and they are good for stamina and endurance, I think you are too young to start lifting weights, well heavy weights anyway.

But yeah I have to mention the word “LEGS”, these are the most important part of the body/physique. You should hit legs before any other part of your body, legs should always come first. A lot of the power within your body comes from your legs. When you build your legs up, they hold onto more nutrients than any other body part, this feeds your entire body when training chest or back for instance. Your legs are like a huge storage space for nutrients, if you can increase the size of this pace, then you can store more nutrients.

September 15, 2009 at 12:15 pm #8542

@UN Soldier wrote:

your body will have better conditioning than someone who does low reps.

Where did you learn this? It couldn’t be further from the truth.
    Conditioning is a matter of bodyfat level not how many reps u perform.

Everything else is true. GO LEGZ!

September 16, 2009 at 4:32 am #8543

Actually conditioning is a matter of physical fitness that is subjective to your goals and needs. I.E. KM may have great conditioning for lifting heavy shit repeatedly but not good conditioning for a marathon. Where as you unbuff may just be interested in body building and therefore conditioning counts as how low a bodyfat level you have.

September 16, 2009 at 8:25 am #8544

@unbuff wrote:

@UN Soldier wrote:

your body will have better conditioning than someone who does low reps.

Where did you learn this? It couldn’t be further from the truth.
    Conditioning is a matter of bodyfat level not how many reps u perform.

Everything else is true. GO LEGZ!

Its common sense what I said: Higher Reps ‘CAN’ enable you too burn more body fat due to the Aerobic Actions they require. Whereas low reps are more for strength and power. Obviously everyone has different genetics, and ‘SOME’ people can get ripped doing low reps. But higher reps require more Oxygen through the Areobic Actions they the exhibit, therefore this equals more fat burning, which therefore equals a body that has better conditioning.

Take a look at Aerobics trainers who do high reps etc. their bodies are in better condition than a lot of people.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.