Newbie lookin for advice

Home / Forums / Weight Training & Conditioning / Newbie lookin for advice

• This topic is empty.
  • Author

Hey guys,
    just subscribed nd lookin for some help so i spose an initial picture of where im at would be good.

height: 182cm
    weight: 73kg
    body fat: 8-10%

Training for 3 years, think ive tried just about evey supplement and weight training plan thats out there. Basically looking to bulk up. Im pretty athletic ur normal sprinters build tall nd skinny but id like to be a bit bigger like 85-90kg would be good.

Strength comes easy for me. i doubt theres another 70kg bloke who could match my lifting pbs but no matter how much i lift and eat i dont gain the mass i want dont know where to go from here..

Any advice would be good. thanks.

April 11, 2009 at 3:57 am #8060

you sound like you not eating enough. even though you may think it is a lot, if your not putting on weight then its not enough. become a pig and gorge all day. if you can give us a food log of a typical days eating that would help.

April 11, 2009 at 4:19 am #8061

You’ll need to eat in excess of 3500 cals by the look of it then. 5 – 7 meals a day, post up your diet to live daves asked, and we can help you.

What are your personal bests at lifts, I would be interested to see.

April 11, 2009 at 6:48 am #8062

So should i start tracking exactly wat i eat?? I can give you a basic run down but it changes a lot.

Bfast: 4-6 week bix, 1 protein shake, 1 multi vitamin
    Morning tea – 300g cooked pasta, (sauce changed between creamy, bacon or bolognese)
    Lunch – 300g cooked pasta again with different sauce
    Afternoon tea – Protein shake
    Dinner – chops/steak/sausages with 3 vege
    Bedtime – protein shake

The afternoon tea shake is also post training on training days
    Also take BSN no explode pre trainng

April 11, 2009 at 7:06 am #8063

Personal best lifts

Bench press – 110kg
    Squat – 190kg
    Leg press – 300kg
    Dips – 20kg plate on belt
    Dumbell press – 40kg
    Incline bench – 90kg
    Decline bench – 85kg

April 12, 2009 at 1:31 am #8064

Ok I did a very rough cal count and got…

3,426cals (Probably even more then this)

217gm protien, 534gm carbs, 44gm fat

If your not growing on that I would suggest cutting down on cardio if your doing any, and throw in more food (protien and fats). Try eating cottage cheese before bed, around 400gms for you. Shakes are good around workout time, but solid food is better any other time. I would move the morning tea pasta to after training, and replace morning tea with the shake from brecky (with a handful of nuts) and have eggs in the morning instead with your weetbix, which will have more cals in it too. If your staying lean with all those carbs, I’d say you’d be someone who would do ok drinking milk for extra cals you can’t get in.

Trying thinking this, ‘protien + carbs in morning and around workouts… Protien + fats any other time’

And if you want to get into the 90’s Start stuffing your face.

Ps: Thats a very impressive squat if its free, and below parallel

April 26, 2009 at 4:04 am #8065

Thanks for the advice. Ive been working on my diet nd changed the eggs for breakfast nd the shake for morning tea nd been eating directly after training. Put on 2.5 kg though i think it may be fat because i seem to hav a bloated stomach all the time. but all is good never been able to put on any weight before so thanks again.

So next item of issue think i need to also work on my training because i dont seem to be making much progress. Been reading a lot of magazine articles that seem to conflict so first things 1st ill post up my train program to date.

MONDAY –
    CHEST
    Flat bench
    Incline dumbell
    Incline bench
    Machine fly
    Decline machine press
    Decline flys

BICEPS
    Barbell curls
    Preacher curls
    Chin ups

ABS
    Leg raises
    Crunches
    Back extentions

WEDNESDAY
    LEGS
    Leg press
    Squats
    Hamstring curls
    Leg extentions
    Standing calf raise
    Seated calf raise

ABS
    Crunches
    Back extentions
    Leg raises

FRIDAY
    SHOULDERS
    Overhead barbell press
    Upright barbell row
    Machine reverse fly

TRICEPS
    Dips
    Close grip bench
    Scullcrushers

BACK
    Lat pulldown
    Machine row
    Single arm dumbell row

ABS
    Back extentions
    Crunches
    Leg raises

All my ab excercises are in the 20-30 rep range
    The rest of my exercises i do four sets 10 – 7 – 5 – 3, increasing the weight each time untill my 3 rep set is to fail

So question is wat can i do to improve my workout??

April 26, 2009 at 6:35 am #8066

@jez226 wrote:

Personal best lifts

Bench press – 110kg
    Squat – 190kg
    Leg press – 300kg
    Dumbell press – 40kg
    Incline bench – 90kg
    Decline bench – 85kg

Buullsheeet!!! πŸ™„ 300kg leg press at 73kg….are you serious. 190kg squat??? I’m sorry but sounds a little unreal for me to be honest. Whats your dead?

April 26, 2009 at 7:08 am #8067

there PB’s dude, dont do that everyday. Dont do deads coz i cant get the technique right without a spotter nd most my training is by myself. Admittedly the squat isnt below parrallel nd was only my one rep max. Nd u figure it out, ive been training for 3 years tone easy as, lift like that, and cant havent been able to gain any weight untill recently.

April 26, 2009 at 8:16 am #8068

@jez226 wrote:

Nd u figure it out, ive been training for 3 years tone easy as, lift like that,

What does this mean?

April 26, 2009 at 8:43 am #8069

i mean i cant figure out wat im doin wrong. They say lift heavy weights to build muscle mass and i just about kill myself doin so and all a can acheive is muscle tone size doesnt seem to come.

April 26, 2009 at 10:31 am #8070

Genetics plays a huuuge factor in these things. So you are going to have to find a training method that works for you and the only way i can see you doing that is merely with time and trials. Also you may only be able to reach that point naturally.

Sounds blunt but it’s true. If you have been hitting it solid for three years then you will have by now stopped getting huge gains and they will be slow and steady…if continuous. You are definately going to have to start working your muscle differently and you are definately going to have to change your diet. These things are going to have to be figured out by yourself i think as each person is different. The guys here will definately be able to broaden your horizons so to speak, but this is why so many cross over to the dark side and trick genetics. But even then you will hit the same plateau…it’s never ending mate. πŸ˜†

April 26, 2009 at 11:26 am #8071

@jez226 wrote:

i mean i cant figure out wat im doin wrong. They say lift heavy weights to build muscle mass and i just about kill myself doin so and all a can acheive is muscle tone size doesnt seem to come.

I hear ya. I haven’t grown much in the last year, but strength has been a different issue. Your going to have to really knuckle down and get that diet spot on, with lots of cals. By that I mean, never missing a meal, making sure the meal is adequate, and making sure your getting in plenty of good quality foods. Different proteins from different sources (red meat, chicken, jumbo eggs, fish) and minimal shakes (pre and post only) Its also going to take sacrifice to get what you want. Turning down clubbing, drugs and benders would be a good start.

If you’ve been training a serious 3 years you should know alittle bit about your body by now and how it responds to different training. Do some reading up on the routines out there, and get onto it and never miss a session. Some to get u started would be, Dog crapp training, Bill starr 5×5, HST.

If your that strong already, you’ll probably do well on dogcrapp, thats my guess.

Slow and steady strength gains, along with a perfectly consistent diet is what I think wins the race.

Ps: no booze too πŸ˜†

April 29, 2009 at 12:13 am #8072

@kinmassive wrote:

@jez226 wrote:

Personal best lifts

Bench press – 110kg
    Squat – 190kg
    Leg press – 300kg
    Dumbell press – 40kg
    Incline bench – 90kg
    Decline bench – 85kg

Buullsheeet!!! πŸ™„ 300kg leg press at 73kg….are you serious. 190kg squat??? I’m sorry but sounds a little unreal for me to be honest. Whats your dead?

OK, if you dont do deads, then what happens to your 190kg squat when you do 20 reps? for a final set? What maximum weight can you use for this kind of workout set.

This can be a muscle building set, instead of a strength making set like your 1 RM. DA

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.