• This topic is empty.
  • Author

G’day people.

I’ve been browsing this forum for a while and finally decided to sign up so I can pick some brains 😈

First thing I have to say is that I really admire the determination and discipline that most of you guys have from what I’ve seen here. It’s a great inspiration to watch other peoples progress whether they’re losing weight, training for a comp or just keeping fit.

A little about myself:

I’m 30 years old, 180cm, 105kgs, 24%BF, 43cm biceps, 110 waist and 120 chest.(too much info?)
    The last time I did any kind of regular exercise was about 10 years ago. I had a simple little bench and a few dumbbells…used to work out lightly for about 30 minutes per day.
    At that time I was 85kgs without much fat. Since then though, I let go of myself and managed to get to a max of 115kgs (pure lard :P).

8 weeks ago I decided that I wanted to be 21 again by the time I get to 31 . I bought a small gym setup (bench press, lat pull down cable thingy and a heap of weights/dumbbells/barbells – second hand) and started some kind of half arsed workout every day. About 5 weeks ago after reading a heap about nutrition I changed my diet to roughly 200g protein, 150g carbs, and <50 fat and around 8000kj (roughly)
    I’ve gained 2cm on my biceps and lost 5kg. Body fat was around 30% and is now around 25%.
    I’ve been pleased so far. I started benching 70lbs 3×10 (don’t laugh :P) and am currently doing 130lbs 5×6 so I guess I’ve gained a bit of strength…heh although I pinned myself to the bench the other day on the 3rd rep when I tried 160lbs (I know you’re laughing :P)

I’m currently taking 5g creatine per day as well and have cut out the coffee that I love so much 😯

Soooo after all that…if you’re still reading… I’d like a bit of advice on what I should or shouldn’t do.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

-John

Here’s what 10 years of being slack does (followed by 8 weeks of trying to turn back time)

[EDIT]:Perhaps this should be moved to the “Help, I’m New to the Iron Game” forum

April 20, 2006 at 6:30 am #2580

@Stallion wrote:

I started benching 70lbs 3×10 (don’t laugh :P) and am currently doing 130lbs 5×6 so I guess I’ve gained a bit of strength…heh

That would have to be an understatement!

Because you’re already moving in the right direction don’t make to many changes at once.

Some quick thoughts.

You’re fat intake looks way too low.

If you’re not doing so already, have most of your carbs at breakfast time and immediately after training. Stick with protein and fat meals at other times.

Do as much walking as you can.

Keep us up to date on your progress.

J

April 20, 2006 at 8:55 am #2581

ive been working down victor harboour heaps lately.

Goodluck 😀

PS: im not one to give advice, but taking creatine while ur trying to lose fat wouldnt be good becoz creatine can give u a “soft” look as it makes ur muscles store more water, correct?

April 20, 2006 at 9:15 am #2582

Cheers for the reply Dr. J 🙂

I’ve been having a strange but tasty breakfast of late.

2 egg whites
      100g turkey bacon (very low fat)
      small onion
      bit of capsicum
      100g tuna (in brine)

all scrambled and fried in a non stick pan with a spray of canola.

Then I’ve been either throwing in about 80g of 3 bean mix (carbs ?) and just eating it like that, or having it on 2 slices of toast with about 100g cottage cheese.

If I’m in a hurry though I just grab a serve of “Special K” or “Nutrigrain” with skim milk.
    Does the above look alright ?

I have some more diet questions: 🙂

Is bread ok for carbs in the morning ?
      What kind of carbs for post workout would be ideal ?
      How much fat per day would be ideal and in what form ?

Bear in mind that my main goal is to lose the lard, but if I can spare the muscle or build a bit at the same time that would be even better. Once I get down to my goal weight (85 – 90kg or 10 – 15% bf) then I’d like to concetrate on building some muscle depending on how I look and feel.

I also have a few questions about my workouts (if you can call them that :P) but I’ll leave those till later.

Thanks in advance,

-John

April 20, 2006 at 9:23 am #2583

@unbuff wrote:

taking creatine while ur trying to lose fat wouldnt be good becoz creatine can give u a “soft” look as it makes ur muscles store more water, correct?

I never thought of that.
    I’ve stopped drinking any grog for the past eight weeks as well, but I did have 6 or 8 drinks at a recent wedding and ended up 2 kilos lighter over night 😯 but then put it back on in a couple of days.

Perhaps I pissed it all out ? (for want of a better word)

I’ve actually stopped taking creatine now and plan to start again in a week (for another 5 weeks)…is that how it’s meant to be done ?
    I don’t know, I’m just trying to take in all this new info and put it into practice all of a sudden…
    … one thing I’m certain of though is that for the past 2 months I’ve felt 10 years younger with heaps of energy and I’m lovin’ it 😀

-John

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.