New to weight training – help/suggestions

Home / Forums / Weight Training & Conditioning / New to weight training – help/suggestions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author

Hi guys, I am new to weight training and would like some advice or tips on what i should do and eat

Ill give you some of my specs:

Sex: Male
    Height 6’1
    Weight: 77kg

Now i would class myself as skinny and would like to gain muscle mass, i have in my head that around 85ks would be an ideal weight for me, now that seems to be a lot of muscle to gain so i need help from you guys as i am really new to this

I have just started cycling, i do around 50kms a week, is that a good form or cardio?

i ride mondays wednesdays fridays and weight train sundays, turesdays, thursdays

now when i say weights i use a home gym with peck deck and stuff as well as a bench press and dumbells, not much else, is there any other things i should be using?

my weights session is around half an hour long

should i be doing light weights with more reps or heavy weights with less reps to bulk up?

i have been doing weights for like 6 weeks now and have noticed slight improvements but not much, however i am dedicated to bulking up, i feel it may be my diet letting me down

can anyone suggest a diet or what i should be eating given my specs and workouts above? would be appreciated

also, iv gone a got a protein powder called muscle milk by cytosport, i had no idea what i was getting just asked the guy over the phone what i should get to build muscle mass, only been using it a week, havnt noticed any changes yet but i dont expect to at this early stage, can anyone tell me if this is a good or bad protein shake?

i have an office job so dont do much during the day

thanks for your help/criticisms guys, as i said im new to this so any help greatly appreciated

cheers

April 6, 2009 at 11:49 pm #7989

Hi there JD,
    You have a large-ish learning curve to get sorted out. It may be some while before you get everything down tight-ish.

To much cardio can eat into muscle buliding, unless you eat a lot of extra food.

Your bodybuliding training is a little short, you will need to do an hour or a smidgin longer. Look out for a book/magazine/website that will provide a good workout set. I say set as you will need to split your body parts into 2 or 3 groups and do these through the week, restarting next week at the beginning.

From what you said about your gym, it may need expanding a bit with more weights/equipment. Full body exercises like squats, deadlifts and some others are the main ones you should be doing, to get bigger as quick as possible.
    http://www.exrx.net/
    Try this site when you want to find out about the body, and exercises. Hundreds of them are listed here and it will tell you all about them.

I did a quicky calculation on a program, to see what you should be eating. This is the Harris Benedict calculation for weightlifters food.
    Age: 22, Height 73″, Bodyfat estimated at 11% (thinish).
    The answer was – food (calories total) for a normal day: 2730 (with 6 meals a day thats: 455 cal).
    For a workout day: 3230 (with 6 meals a day thats: 538 cal).
    This is not written in stone but is a general guide to about where you need to be – foodwise.

Hope this helps
    DA

April 6, 2009 at 11:58 pm #7990

Your bodybuliding training is a little short, you will need to do an hour or a smidgin longer. Look out for a book/magazine/website that will provide a good workout set. I say set as you will need to split your body parts into 2 or 3 groups and do these through the week, restarting next week at the beginning.

You dont have to do it this way, there are many other different ways to train such as full body training 3 times per week.

Everything else you should memorize.

You can easily get by with 2 dumbbells, a barbell and about 100kg of weights until you get stronger. At your height and weight I am assuming you cant pull 100kg in a deadlift, as you get to that strength you just buy some more plates.

Read up a lot on exercises such as deadlifts, squats, barbell rows, proper benching technique, pull ups. http://www.tnation.com has some good articles for newbies.

You can also start with pushups and chinups (two great exercises) and once you can do 10 of each increase the difficulty by adding weight to a packback or (in the pushups case only) elevating your feet higher and higher.

I stress the importance of deadlifts and squats they will make you bigger than any other exercises known to man.[/url]

April 7, 2009 at 1:33 am #7991

@dave wrote:

You dont have to do it this way, there are many other different ways to train such as full body training 3 times per week.

Everything else you should memorize.

You can easily get by with 2 dumbbells, a barbell and about 100kg of weights until you get stronger. At your height and weight I am assuming you cant pull 100kg in a deadlift, as you get to that strength you just buy some more plates.

Read up a lot on exercises such as deadlifts, squats, barbell rows, proper benching technique, pull ups. http://www.tnation.com has some good articles for newbies.

You can also start with pushups and chinups (two great exercises) and once you can do 10 of each increase the difficulty by adding weight to a packback or (in the pushups case only) elevating your feet higher and higher.

I stress the importance of deadlifts and squats they will make you bigger than any other exercises known to man.[/url]

Sage advice.

I would also suggest keeping a training diary so you can keep an accurate record of your progress, I also serves as a good source of inspiration to see how much you have improved and also what worked and what didin’t.

April 7, 2009 at 1:39 am #7992

Also as you are skinny and you want to put on muscle you need to learn how to eat. I assume you are just skinny naturally and no matter what you have eaten you just dont put on weight. If this is so you need to start eating frequently and a lot of it. You may think you eat a lot now but keep a log for a few days or a week and then post it on here, then we can tell you how much more you really need to eat.

April 7, 2009 at 6:23 am #7993

ok thanks a lot guys

i will look into some dealifts and squats, add them to my routine to hopefully make it close to an hour mark

i will keep a record of what i eat the next few days, and post it up here so you guys can see what im doing wrong or how much more i need to eat

what do you guys think about the protein powder iv got? good or bad?

now that day light savings is over and i get home around 7 (its dark) wont be riding as much anymore, so less cardio

i think i have gotten a lot of help already, ill add the deadlifts and squats into my routine, i think the main area im going wrong is my eating, if you guys could help me out with that hopefully ill get some results quicker

thanks alot

April 7, 2009 at 11:46 pm #7994

@JD86 wrote:

what do you guys think about the protein powder iv got? good or bad?
    thanks alot

Perrsonally Ive never heard of it, but then I buy in bulk from http://www.Myopure.com.au which seems to have answered all my queries over protein & a few other supps etc. Most regulars on this site get theirs this way to. DA

April 8, 2009 at 1:14 am #7995

oh ok thanks

well i just googled it and found a place called A1 supplements and ordered through them, if it does not work or i have issues with it i may try the one you use, thanks mate

anyone who knows of the one i have please leave comments, good or bad

couple days ill have an eating pattern up for you guys to let me know where im going wrong

thanks

April 8, 2009 at 4:15 am #7996

Reports:
    The stuff you have is a good protein endorsed by Jay Cutler I think. It is very expensive though and you WILL get sick of the taste after awhile, we all do.

Plain is better.

April 8, 2009 at 5:43 am #7997

ok thanks mate

yes it was about $50 for the smaller of the 2 sizes, but still quite large, i think it will last me quite a while, i might by plain flavour next time round

do i drink the protein on days i dont workout? or strictly before and after workouts?

April 8, 2009 at 9:17 am #7998

It’s up to you really, just as long as you get the required amount each day.

I think you need to google this topic.

April 8, 2009 at 10:30 am #7999

@JD86 wrote:

ok thanks mate

yes it was about $50 for the smaller of the 2 sizes, but still quite large, i think it will last me quite a while, i might by plain flavour next time round

do i drink the protein on days i dont workout? or strictly before and after workouts?

Yes, yes, yes.

Growth occurs while you rest so make sure that your body is well fed at all times. Don’t starve it of nutrients right at the time that it is looking for them.

April 8, 2009 at 12:19 pm #8000

@kinmassive wrote:

Reports:
    The stuff you have is a good protein endorsed by Jay Cutler I think. It is very expensive though and you WILL get sick of the taste after awhile, we all do.

Plain is better.

Oh yeah…Im at the bottom of a 5kg bag of vanilla flavoured powder. When I started it tasted like a milkshake, now it’s all I can do to choke the shit down and controll my gag reflex..

Buy it plain and add your own twist.

April 8, 2009 at 1:57 pm #8001

if you find that you need to add more calories and easy meals each day then a use the shakes as meals with something like nuts. if you are good and dont need the extra calories then save your money and use the protein only for training times. but try and make sure you are getting you calories and protein requirements from whole foods first.

April 10, 2009 at 1:30 am #8002

the other way is to cut all physical activity between workouts, you will need 10 to 20% fewer calories that way.

Use the elevator

Don’t visit anyone if they live upstairs

Send someone else out to get the mail

Use a car if you have to walk more than 100 metres.

dn’t correct tping midtakes, evry keystroke is a calorie

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.