neck/trap soreness

Home / Forums / Weight Training & Conditioning / neck/trap soreness

• This topic is empty.
  • Author

Hey guys.

Ive been doing this shoulder/trap specific routine for 8weeks now. Ive put on some size, but my traps and neck is starting to give me problems.

I think whats causing it are the behind back shrugs. You just stand holding a barbell from behind and shrug it, it can get uncomfortable as the bar can hit the bottom of ur bum, so u have to lean back ever so slighty so u can shrug it past it.

Has anyone had any issues with them?
    If I do them again and the pain comes back, ill know and stop them… but there such a great exercise

December 15, 2007 at 6:42 am #5633

Try seated dumbell shrugs. Doing these allows the arms to hang straight down avoiding rubbing against your arse or top of your thighs if shrugging from the front.

December 15, 2007 at 7:31 am #5634

You may have poor shoulder health which is leading to the pain. Search on t-nation for a few good articles by cressey and robertson about shoulder pain and rehab. Do the tests and check out how your shoulders are. I know my right is stuffed and some shoulder exercises really aggravate my problem.

December 15, 2007 at 11:54 am #5635

Not a fan of behind the back shrugs myself… shoulders are pinched togther and back, and then you pull up, and like you said, slightly back as well to get around your arse… feels pretty nasty to me.

My favourite trap exercise personally is power shrugs, either in a rack set at knee height, or from the hang. Go heavy, really explode into it, and shrug hard…. good stuff.

December 15, 2007 at 1:14 pm #5636

@mcham wrote:

Not a fan of behind the back shrugs myself… shoulders are pinched togther and back, and then you pull up, and like you said, slightly back as well to get around your arse… feels pretty nasty to me.

My favourite trap exercise personally is power shrugs, either in a rack set at knee height, or from the hang. Go heavy, really explode into it, and shrug hard…. good stuff.

so its pretty much the same as standing front BB shrug, except ur knees are bent slighty and ur leaning abit forward right?

Edit: I watched a short video on the power shrug, looks kinda nasty, pulling the weight up doesnt look bad, its when the weight drop down…?

December 16, 2007 at 4:33 am #5637

unbuff,

They are a great exercise because they’re new and you’re gaining from them.

8 weeks may be long enough on this cycle of behind shrugs and if you’re getting pain from them it probably won’t be long before an injury happens and you’re gains stop.

Pain is a sign so don’t ignore it.

The beauty of barbells and dumbells is there is many different variations of an exercise. Even moving your hands in or out one finger width can dramatically change the way an exercise feels.

I’ve been training 24 years (mostly free weights) and i’m still experimenting with variations.

Sounds like it’s time for a change but come back to it in a few weeks.

Me

December 16, 2007 at 8:49 am #5638

@unbuff wrote:

so its pretty much the same as standing front BB shrug, except ur knees are bent slighty and ur leaning abit forward right?

Edit: I watched a short video on the power shrug, looks kinda nasty, pulling the weight up doesnt look bad, its when the weight drop down…?

Reasonable description and video (if very short) http://www.asimba.com/fitness_info/exercise532.html

When it says bend at the knees, this should be by pushing the hips backwards (not shins forward), with a flat back, and then thrust the hips forward and shrug really hard… I usually end up rising up onto my toes too.

These should be done heavy – like 70-80% of your max dead for reps.
    Recommend using straps on these so you can use a double overhand grip and do reps without worrying about your grip.

A good variation is to use a really wide-grip (definitely need straps then!)

December 16, 2007 at 12:06 pm #5639

ok ill take the advice and change up my routine, for another 8 weeks!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.