Muscle imbalance.

• This topic is empty.
  • Author

After training tonight I thought I’d get the missus to take a few snaps of me pumped so that I could put them on here to show my great progress that I’ve been having lately.

So I took a shitload and I am not putting one on here. I have imbalances everywhere, I had no idea!! This is what I’m facing:
    – Right calf bigger and more defined than the left.
    – Chest has not grown with the rest of my body so it looks rediculous.

I can’t figure out the calf thing out, it is something that I’ve been aware of for a little while so I have been doing about 6 more reps on each calf exercise on the left calf, still hasn’t balanced and to be honest i don’t know why it is like that in the first place?

As far as the chest is concerned, I have always had a small chest (pisses me off) but now it has gotten to the stage that everything else has grown and it looks like I have a gut because my chest won’t fucken grow!! I have a real hard time isolating it to be honest, but I am obviously going to have to try harder.

Any ideas guys? ๐Ÿ˜ฅ

May 15, 2008 at 10:26 am #6424

I also noticed this when I took some pics. When I measured my left bicep it was 1/2 Inch smaller than right bicep.

May 15, 2008 at 10:32 am #6425

I’ve been training for 5 years!! It’s pretty normal to have imbalances when you start, just make sure you compensate for it, unlike myself.

May 15, 2008 at 11:23 am #6426

Hi Mate,

I had the same with my lats, 6 months down and I still haven’t evened them up but they are getting there. I spent ages working it out I even used to train one lat at a time using a bench and one of the crossover pulleys. Turns out it was from bloody bent over rows! So I dropped some weight and I do an extra set on the weaker side now with dumbell rows.

I have the opposite problem, my chest exploded when i was younger, coz bench press was all i did! then i had a break from weights came back and i had to work everything else out to keep up. My biceps on the other hand were too small but when i thought about it, I was only training them once a week and only with curls 3×10. So after I amped it up they did start to grow.

I hate asymmetry.

May 15, 2008 at 12:33 pm #6427

someones a little overactive in their tri’s and delts…

I am the same, question do you have a naturally overlarge wide back, even before you hit the weights?

May 15, 2008 at 12:51 pm #6428

hey Kin with ur claves do u play soccer or football?

May 15, 2008 at 8:48 pm #6429

@dave wrote:

someones a little overactive in their tri’s and delts…

I am the same, question do you have a naturally overlarge wide back, even before you hit the weights?

I would definately say that my tris and delts are overcompensating, I try and stop them but they just take over. And no I don’t have a large back as far as lat spreads are concerned. I have a very funny shape, i could never compete in a BB comp.

And swiz yes i play football, started again this year but have played a couple of seasons of touch as well in the last 4 years.

May 15, 2008 at 10:27 pm #6430

interesting, you are a lot stronger in your back than chest (which is actually a GOOD thing) I am similar but my back is huge no matter what I do and my chest is average. If you are interested in bringing your chest up, maybe try to the pre fatigue method on tris and shoulders, add in extra pec specific exercises, limit the delt and tri work for a while, add chest first thing in the week and during your session (cant believe i actually said to do that), bring up the frequency of pec training (3-4 times a week) for a month (hit it heavy) or so and then switch to longer more hypertrophy training (long session maybe twice a week)for a month or two after that,

Just some ideas that may help.

May 15, 2008 at 11:03 pm #6431

@kinmassive wrote:

– Right calf bigger and more defined than the left.

Apart from the obvious, a) it could be related to issues in the low back. Testing lying straight leg ham stretch might help you to work that out. You should have same range of motion both sides. b) it could be related to issues with the facia on the bottom of the foot. Try massage with a tennis ball. Yes, it hurts. c) Might be related to scrummaging – wild guess – just ask the dude who props the other side to you if you can measure his calfs (or is it calves) ๐Ÿ˜†

@kinmassive wrote:

– Chest has not grown with the rest of my body so it looks rediculous.

Ditch current chest exercises โ— If you must bench try press to neck, also gironda dips, flys with a push at the top or any other variation that isolates the chest. Personally I’m not a fan of pre-exhaustion for isolation.

May 15, 2008 at 11:39 pm #6432

Dr J just said Gironda Dips. I would vouch for them as a chest builder. You’d need a V dip bar to do them properly, but guys Ive seen do them wrong – in that they dont turn the palm to grip the bar, with the fingers & thumbs inward. You’ll find you get more chest effect by this method.

The results I found made the outside of the pecs much heavier, it didnt affect the centre sternum area much. Hell of a good exercise though, I just love em, and still do them regular. DA

May 16, 2008 at 3:56 am #6433

Also something to think about:
    I tried the Gironda dips and they just irritated my shoulders.

When benching, to stress the chest more you need to make sure your elbows flare out (approx. 90 degrees to your torso).

The gironda dips and benching to neck achieve a similar result with positioning the elbows wider.

Alot of people bench with their arms/elbows at about 45 degrees, but this stresses the delts & tri’s more and their chest does not receive enough work.

May 16, 2008 at 4:10 am #6434

I always find doing one side at a time really helps with a weak chest.

Single arm cable cross overs
    Single arm DB Flyes or press
    You can focus much more ๐Ÿ˜€

May 16, 2008 at 5:16 am #6435

I have dropped all barbell bench work a little while ago as it was well over due apart from decline bench. I have taken up weighted dips, dumbell(need heavier ๐Ÿ˜ฅ ) press and flyes. I don’t have a cable crossover so I am limited with that one but I have just got a swiss ball so I will be adopting the single side presses on the ball for the chest work. I think once i can really isolate it i will be right.

As far as calves go, it wouldn’t be scrumaging as i have only been playing this year. It’s funny you mention the lower back though. A little while ago i was doing some heavy shrugs and I hurt my back, I went to a chiro and had xrays etc and he said my back was slowly deteriorating due to me continously putting it out and still working etc. He wanted me to do a 6mth program in which it was meant to slowly correct my crooked spine (it was crooked as i saw it myself) So maybe that does have something to do with it.

I have unfortunately been cursed with lopsided genetics (thanks mum). What I mean by that is that there is not one level or similar part on my body ie one part lower than the other etc. I think because of the muscle I have gained over the years it has excenuated (spelling?) that even more.

May 16, 2008 at 7:51 am #6436

Do the spine work, you will thank yourself for it in 5 to 10 years time.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.