More Advice – Needing to get lean!

Home / Forums / Diet and Nutrition / More Advice – Needing to get lean!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Hey Guys,

This forum is providing me with continued assistance. I have finally cut to the chase and started dieting. Now, before I started I was around 75 Kgs, 21 years and around 175cms. I am on holidays overseas so I cannot access the gym, and the food is a little limited so I feel this diet is sufficient.

Currently after around 8 Weeks I am currently 67kgs.

I have found that after cutting out soft drinks, and running alot my gut has decreased dramatically. Still have fat around the chest area, and the gut so started to do sprints rather than Jogs. Started them for 1 week and found the gut burnt after exercise, which is always a good feeling.

Feel obviously a little tired everyday as my calorie intake are considerably less than the 2000Cal recommended. Feel alot leaner, but also that I have lost a little muscle.

My idea is that I get lean first, and then when I come back home I can start back at the gym.

My modified diet:
    Morning Exercise
    – Run / Sprints
    – Jogging
    – Around 1 Hour in Total

Breakfast
    – Bannana

Lunch
    – Rice
    – Beans, Lettuce, Tomatoes
    – Meat

Afternoon
    – Fruit Salad – Apple, Pineapple, Pear, Orange etc

Exercise
    – Run / Sprints
    – Jogging

Dinner
    – Normally the same as Lunch, but a little smaller portion.

Do not eat anything after 7pm
    Water is consumed throughout the day – in excess of 8 Glasses.

Im on holiday overseas so its a little limited. I have had a few nights on the drink in the 2 months, and feel very guilty the day after, but hey Im only human.

So take a look, give me some advice. I know there are alot of people much more educated in this area on this forum, but any assistance would be great!

Cheers

January 24, 2007 at 11:39 pm #3978

Is your aim just to get lean? Or to shred fat and keep muscle?

@Andy wrote:

I am on holidays overseas so I cannot access the gym

but also that I have lost a little muscle.

I suspect you have lost more than a little muscle. From what I’ve learnt from Dr J, Derek ST and other experianced body builders on this forum – the body doesnt discriminate between fat and muscle, in fact muscle is usually the first to shred with incresed cardio and decreased protein.

I think you should find a gym!

For severel reasons.

1. To keep your strength up
    2. It will help you lose fat.
    3. Combined with a proper diet it will help you keep muscle.
    4. You can get some advice from people there
    the list goes on..

The hardest thing about bodybuilding for me is the cut. I know if I do too much cardio I will lose most of my muscle and end up right where I started, the viscious cycle will go on and on. Believe me at the end of three years of uneducated training I plead with anyone not to go down that path!!!

Im sure a few will expand on the above..

January 25, 2007 at 3:43 am #3979

Totally agree with Swiz, you need to keep that protein up and hittin the plates or your body has no need for the muscle that you have worked for.Cutting cals to much will put you in a catabolic/starved state where your metabolism will slow, and you will burn muscle as your body tries to keep the fat.Correct me guys if I am wrong, high intensity cardio burns more total cals but at a lesser of a percentage from fat stores ie muscle is being burned especially since your cals are low and you are not using them to get stronger. Thats my 2 cents, cutting is definetely not easy.Good luck and get back to hittin that steel or atleast some push ups etc.

January 25, 2007 at 4:00 am #3980

Have been doing pushups, sit ups. Chin Ups etc.

Have been to the gym 5 times in past 2 months, not much I know but only what I could do.

I just need to get lean, thin first…Then I can go back to the gym?

What should I do? Increase my protien, and look for more weights/pushups etc?

Do be honest, dont think I have lost that much muscle…

January 25, 2007 at 4:23 am #3981

Are you doing your cardio befor breaky or after

January 25, 2007 at 4:31 am #3982

Before!

I dont want to be fat and muscular, I need to be lean. I am only short so dont want to weigh to much. I have to be lean, and have endurance for soccer.

Cant do the gym until I return home – Is there anything I can do to maintain my muscle, whilst still losing my fat?

January 25, 2007 at 4:49 am #3983

I dont think a banana after 1 hour of high intensity cardio is enough, your body would be screaming for fuel and all it is getting is a banana until lunch. Do you know your bf percentage from when you started to now? I thought you would be fairly lean already from the running in soccer.If you really cannot get to the gym maybe some pushups, heaves, chin ups, squats, dips etc with some resistance ie a friend or a back pack with some house hold items in it, something like that.I am assuming that you feel you have lost a considerable amount of muscle for you to mention it in your first post otherwise you would be happy with the weight that you have lost which is quite a bit.Remember you will always lose an amount of muscle during a cutting phase unless you are a genetic freak its just the way it goes, unless some of the other guys out there know of some secrets that arent illegal of course, maybe the Doc can help you out.

January 25, 2007 at 7:41 am #3984

@Andy wrote:

Hey Guys,

This forum is providing me with continued assistance. I have finally cut to the chase and started dieting. Now, before I started I was around 75 Kgs, 21 years and around 175cms. I am on holidays overseas so I cannot access the gym, and the food is a little limited so I feel this diet is sufficient.

Currently after around 8 Weeks I am currently 67kgs.

I have found that after cutting out soft drinks, and running alot my gut has decreased dramatically. Still have fat around the chest area, and the gut so started to do sprints rather than Jogs. Started them for 1 week and found the gut burnt after exercise, which is always a good feeling.

Feel obviously a little tired everyday as my calorie intake are considerably less than the 2000Cal recommended. Feel alot leaner, but also that I have lost a little muscle.

My idea is that I get lean first, and then when I come back home I can start back at the gym.

My modified diet:
    Morning Exercise
    – Run / Sprints
    – Jogging
    – Around 1 Hour in Total

Breakfast
    – Bannana

Lunch
    – Rice
    – Meat

Afternoon

Exercise
    – Run / Sprints
    – Jogging

Dinner

Do not eat anything after 7pm
    Water is consumed throughout the day – in excess of 8 Glasses.

Cheers

That diet is horrible, regardless of weather you want to stal lean or not.
    1. You should eat first thing before doing your exercise, oats or cereal.
    2. Banana for b’fast. try 4 eggs and 2 slices of wholegrain toast.
    3. Lunch looks OK
    4.Afternoon, make it the same as lunch.
    5. Why not eat after 7pm? try some low fat cottage cheese with rice cakes.
    CHeers,
    Hope that helps

January 31, 2007 at 9:10 am #3985

How tall are you Andy?
    At 67 kgs you must be quite short or not very fat at all.
    Hell, Im only 5’7″ and was down to 67 kgs many years ago…I was a bloody rake!

February 1, 2007 at 5:09 pm #3986

Yeah broad shoulders from swimming when I was young, and still fat around the pecs and chest…

Legs are pretty lean from all the running.

UPDATE!

Down to 65Kgs – Have increased protien and food intake, still running a great deal, eating healthy.

Have also increased my strength through chinups, pushups, situps, tricep raises etc.

Need to loose those final few kilograms around the gut, chest area, and the love handles…

Any Ideas?

February 1, 2007 at 8:09 pm #3987

What’s your diet like now?

February 2, 2007 at 1:05 am #3988

Morning Exercise
    – Run / Sprints
    – Jogging
    – Around 1 Hour in Total

Breakfast
    – Bannana
    – Oats

Lunch
    – Rice
    – Meat – Increased the serving of Meat
    – Focus on eating more green vegetables

Afternoon
    – OR: Banana, Nuts, Sultanas

Exercise
    – Run / Sprints
    – Jogging

Dinner

*Have been doing more sprint work on the beach. In the morning I generally do a quick upper body workout involving – pushups, chinups, triceps and situps.

Having trouble loosing that last bit of fat, and will be travelling around for the next month. Will be a test to see how I go diet wise. Travelling and diets dont really go to well…

But, with my new found education for nutrion, and attitude towards diet and food I will hopefully maintain my weight at 65kgs for the next month.

I will then arrive home, and will hit the gym and play competitive soccer…Then the real gains begin!

February 2, 2007 at 3:14 am #3989

You’re waking up in the morning after fasting all night and you don’t have any protein till lunch time. Not good.

I think you’d do better if you had protein with every meal. A protein shake just before your morning training would probably be a good idea.

Then make sure you have some protein with your breakfast. I think that’s already been mentioned above.

If you need to drop calories cut back on carbs you’re eating late in the day.

J

February 2, 2007 at 3:23 pm #3990

Cant access protien shakes, and will be travelling for the month of feburary…
    Maybe I have eggs in the morning for a source of protien.

Afternoon – eating minimal carbs – but what do you suggest I have for a snack other than fruits? If you dont want me eating carbs then should I stay off the nuts?

What is a good suggestion for Dinner? Obviously Tuna, Salmon, Chicken Breast etc? But should I be having much rice, or should I load up on vegetables such as lettuce, tomato, and other greens such as beans, peas, carrots etc?

February 2, 2007 at 9:10 pm #3991

You could try carb cycling.
    The guys recommended I do this and it has got the ball rolling again for me.
    I was stuck at 93kgs with the same fat around the belly left to go and now I’m just nudging 90kgs.

There’s a bit more to it but in a nutshell; Protein and carbs in every meal but you alternate every 3 days between green and brown carbs.
    ie: for your green days all your carbs come from fibrous sources like beens, broccoli, cabbage lettuce…anything green, and on your brown days (carb loading) you go with anything brown…wholegrain bread, oats, rice, potatoes etc.

As far as I know, most nuts are mainly protein, fat and fibre so they should be fine for a late snack.
    @Derek Amos wrote:

Getting more clever about carbs may confuse you initially.

Weve all heard of the well known sugars and the GI range etc, but carbs that are restricting and highly restricting are Starchy and fibrous carbs, as found in veggies etc.

For some listings of these, go to
    http://fitness.skippypodar.net/carbcycling.html
    This page lists how to eat carbs based on the diet of Bill Reynolds, one of the old time diet geniuses. DA

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.