mark rippetoe’s ‘starting strength’ workout vs. 3 day split

Home / Forums / Weight Training & Conditioning / mark rippetoe’s ‘starting strength’ workout vs. 3 day split

• This topic is empty.
  • Author

after screwing around all winter (i suck) i have returned to the gym with exactly 3 months until summer officially arrives.

i’ve had my successes and failures with training before, and i’ve learnt along the way that among many other things diet is critical, i’m planning on a clean bulk for the next three months, at the end of which hopefully i have added some mass but not tooo much fat (fortunately for me i struggle to put on fat.)

i started training on a three day split along these lines pyramiding down in reps and up in weight for each exercise (three sets per exercise, 12/8/6 reps.)

Chest/Triceps/Core
    • bench press
    • incline dumbbell press
    • smith machine incline press
    • pec-dec
    • tricep pull-down
    • crunches

Back/Shoulders/Biceps
    • bent rows
    • close grip lat pull down
    • wide-grip chin-ups
    • cable rows
    • military press
    • dumbbell lateral raises
    • preacher curls

Legs
    • deadlifts
    • leg press
    • calf raises
    • leg extensions
    • lying leg curls

however i have now read up on the mark rippetoe’s ‘starting strength’ workout and am considering giving it a try instead as it seems to be the flavour of the month. here’s a copy/paste job of how it works-

You train on 3 nonconsecutive days per week.

So week 1 might look like:
    Monday – Workout A
    Wednesday -Workout B
    Friday – Workout A

Week 2:
    Monday – Workout B
    Wednesday – Workout A
    Friday – Workout B

Workout A
    3×5 Squat
    3×5 Bench Press
    1×5 Deadlift
    2×5-8 dips (only add weight if you are doing >10 bodyweight dips)

Workout B
    3×5 Squat
    3×5 Standing military press
    3×5 Pendlay Rows (or power cleans for 5×3, 5 sets of 3 reps apiece)
    2×5-8 chinups ***if you do the power cleans, do 3 sets of chinups***

Fridays only (Not earlier than 3 weeks into program) –
    Parallel Bar dips or incline skullcrushers – 2 x 8-12
    barbell/DB/EZ-Bar curls – 2 x 8-12

bloody hell this post is way to long and i’ve probably scared everyone off, but if you’re still with me my goal is primarily to add muscle size, while limiting fat increase (hence very clean bulking.)

what are your thoughts?

sorry for the super longness of this post. 😕

September 5, 2006 at 11:30 pm #3036

I liked the sound of the first program better, it looked pretty sweet (maybe a bit more shoulder work)… if i were choosing id prob take this program; remember, low reps is good for strength gains where as 8 to 15 rep ranges is good for growth… but i think it is good to go through as many rep ranges as possible; i like to do few weeks of 15-20 reps, then few weeks of 8-15 reps, and finally a few weeks of 4-12 reps… kind of ramping up

September 6, 2006 at 6:42 am #3037

Rippetoe kicks ass IMO.
    Im loving the results in strength.
    My diet and rest have been pretty crappy, hence holding back my gains somewhat, but if youre looking to get stronger then go for Rippetoe.

September 7, 2006 at 2:51 am #3038

Fox

why not both? You’ve planned a 3 month training phase, do one program for 6wks then follow it with the other

plus this is the ideal way to truely gauge the effectiveness of either program for yourself

September 8, 2006 at 11:49 pm #3039

jimmy that isn’t a bad point but i’d prefer to stick with one for a couple of months to let it do its thing.

i did some wider reading and it convinced me that the

Workout A
    3×5 Squat
    3×5 Bench Press
    1×5 Deadlift
    2×5-8 dips (only add weight if you are doing >10 bodyweight dips)

Workout B
    3×5 Squat
    3×5 Standing military press
    3×5 Pendlay Rows (or power cleans for 5×3, 5 sets of 3 reps apiece)
    2×5-8 chinups ***if you do the power cleans, do 3 sets of chinups***

was the right way to go. i had my first session of the program yesterday and it was good fun. i’ll keep you posted as to my progress. 🙂

September 9, 2006 at 1:36 am #3040

sounds good, what are pendlay rows?

September 10, 2006 at 1:54 am #3041

pendlay rows from what i’ve found on the internet are very similar to bent rows, i must admit i just did bent rows instead of them on my friday session.

September 10, 2006 at 4:51 am #3042

oh ok, i like the row exercise where you have a barbell with weight stacket on one end and you put say a “v” lat pulldown bar under the weighted end of it; stand with it between your legs and just like a bent over row lift it to your chest… maybe this is a pendlay row?

is my description poor? haha, if you get it please inform me of what they are called, it bugs me… arnold goes nuts on them in the video “pumping iron” very inspiring…

September 12, 2006 at 4:49 am #3043

Pendlay rows are similar to bent over rows, except the upper body is kept parallel to the floor at all times, and perfectly still. You do not use any momemtum or drive with the knees to get the weight up.
    Also, deload between reps.

October 5, 2006 at 9:32 am #3044

hi guys here’s an update for you. the rippetoe program is going very well, i’d recommend it to anyone getting started at weight training. for years i was scared or to lazy to do real weights training – what i mean by that is i never did deadlifts or squats – well i can now say after doing them for around a month they are awesome!!! they take commitment, effort and focus but the reward of lifting a personal best with free weights in a serious muscle building exercise is better than anything you get from doing pussy exercises like curls or pec-dec work.

i would give myself a 9/10 for commitment in the gym, 8/10 for diet and 7/10 for getting enough sleep.

for an example of my progress in the month i’ve been on the rippetoe program my squat has gone from 60kg up to 87.5kg – sure it’s still small numbers but for a month that’s pretty good! 😆

regarding diet i try to eat at least six nutritious meals a day high in carbs and protein as well as drinking litres of water and a glass of milk when i find the time. re. supplements i take a swisse multivitamin and flaxseed oil capsule with breakfast, a whey protein shake after workouts and a calcium caseinate shake and flaxseed capsule before sleeping.

i hope you guys are enjoying your training as much as i am at the moment, lift hard and eattttttttttttt!! :mrgreen:

October 8, 2006 at 5:46 am #3045

I found out that the rows im thinking of are actually called T-bar rows as i suspected… sweet exercise,

well done fox with squat improvement, small numbers? still better than i can do hehe… yeah squats and deads are VERY taxing exercises haha leave you pretty much collapsed after each set, love that feeling…

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.