Lower Back Cramps While Benching

Home / Forums / Weight Training & Conditioning / Lower Back Cramps While Benching

• This topic is empty.
  • Author

Hey guys,
    After years of lifting I’ve finally managed a new problem I haven’t come across before. While benching, my lower back is cramping. My butt does not leave the seat, my arch is not excessive, and I am not doing anything different, I’m not even lifting as heavy as I can go at the moment, so I am at a loss to work out what is happening. It doesn’t happen during decline or incline, only flat bench. Would you put it down to some unrelated lower back issues that are being exposed? Anyone experienced this before?
    Thanks,
    Dan

October 30, 2007 at 3:14 am #5454

hi dan i have never heard of his before, i would have though arching would be the cause.

has your diet changed preworkout? As in you are low in salts like potassium, magnesium ?

try dynamic stretches before your work out to see if that improves things.

try doing figure 8’s on a swiss ball and woodchops to warm up

October 30, 2007 at 4:06 am #5455

I have to agree it’s the arch due to it not happening on incline, decline. Haven’t changed diet but had not considered the salts. Will take your advice on the warm ups/ stretches & see how it goes. The strange thing is that my arch is not excessive.

October 30, 2007 at 9:15 pm #5456

Bring your knees up and cross your feet this will flatten your lower back out-not the ideal benching position but anything to get buy ๐Ÿ˜‰

October 30, 2007 at 10:07 pm #5457

Will do as a temporary measure until things sort themselves I guess.

October 31, 2007 at 11:24 pm #5458

Have you been trying to lift more weight then normal??

And are you currently working you back aswell?

November 2, 2007 at 1:11 pm #5459

When I did it I was 10kg off what I have lifted for reps, so no, I wasn’t lifting super heavy. Yes I train back with Trap Bar Deads, Pendlay Rows & Pull Downs, and I alternate hyper extensions with roman chair sit ups every session for core work.

In todays session I did the warm ups that were suggested and put the feet up more to reduce the arch, and while I felt a little strain in the lower back muscles after I was done, it was much improved. I think I just have to flatten the arch out for a while until the back rights itself.

November 2, 2007 at 7:32 pm #5460

Dan, a little while ago I was doing some light barbell shrugs and bang, PAIN. In my middle back. It was so bad tha I couldn’t breathe properly etc. I had it checked out, layed off a bit and now it is fine, but I always use a belt for anything over 120kgs now.

Moral of the story is this. You may not have to do anything different. You may have just been slightly laying the wrong way one nite and that is what has caused it. As with me I was not doing anything different than I usually would.

I would just try dumbell presses or the like (something different) for awhile until you can phase them back into your training with no problems.

November 3, 2007 at 1:20 am #5461

You may be right – might have just been one bad session that put some strain on it. Now I’m conscious of it, I’ll just guard against excessive arch & try & make sure everything is done with perfect form. Lower back seems to be on the mend now so I’m happy it hasn’t had a major effect on the training.

I also use a belt for militaries, deads, squats & rows. The belt helps to remind me to activate the abs / core. Big belly full of air, pushing out hard against the belt with abs flexed & core locked tight.

November 8, 2007 at 10:19 pm #5462

Lifting huge weights is obviously the goal just keep perfect form.

November 13, 2007 at 12:47 am #5463

Arching the back while bench pressing is a ‘strength’ technique.

I’m not sure if it really helps with strength but it does decrease the range of motion.

So unless your training for a powerlifting meet. Don’t sweat on using the flat back technique.

November 15, 2007 at 4:49 am #5464

Whatever was happening seems to have corrected itself. I am only using a very slight arch & this seems to be ok with the back now. Thanks for everyones help.

January 16, 2008 at 3:46 am #5465

i used to get that back cramp. mine went away too. it’s weird. only on flat, mine was only on the left side of my lower back. for me, i think it was because i was doing back (with deadlifts) the day before. stopped that.. cramp went away.

now, if i can just get rid of cramps in the butt when doing dumbbell rows i’ll be set… ๐Ÿ˜‰

-j-

January 16, 2008 at 3:49 am #5466

i used to get that back cramp. mine went away too. it’s weird. only on flat, mine was only on the left side of my lower back. for me, i think it was because i was doing back (with deadlifts) the day before. stopped that.. cramp went away.

now, if i can just get rid of cramps in the butt when doing dumbbell rows i’ll be set… ๐Ÿ˜‰

-j-

January 23, 2008 at 8:57 am #5467

At least I’m not alone Joe! Bloody wierd & annoying things the body does…

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.