Lost… diet required please

Home / Forums / Diet and Nutrition / Lost… diet required please

• This topic is empty.
  • Author

Hey guys,
    I stumbled across this site about a wk ago and have been flat out trying to find time to read all the stuff. Great work! I’m stoked over finding this forum!

I’ve been training on and off for two yrs now ( longer though not worth counting it) but seriously about 4 months.
    I’m 24, 6′ tall and weigh 82 kilos. I have so many questions but i’ll try keep to the point and the right section.

I been looking over all these diets and nutrition topics and mine is seriously lacking. How do I build a diet for myself?
    There’s a lot of calorie counting as well which I have no idea about, but i assume is something i need to learn & do to build a successful feasting menu.

A typical day used to be
    wake up – coffee, protein shake 7am
    smoko – 2 sandwiches ham cheese avo, or chiken etc 10am
    lunch 2 – sandwiches meat and something 12pm
    arvo snak – tuna, chips or fruit 2.30/3pm
    protein shake – 4.15pm
    gym 4.45
    before dinner snack 2min noodles, cheese & crackers 7pm
    dinner steak/chicken with veges and potatoes 9pm
    protein shake 10.30

Bit outta whack hey… and beers here and there and half a case (or much more if it’s a big 1)on the wkend 😈

I’m a mechanic and always on my feet all day apart from the lunch and smoko. So Im guessing I need a few carbs in there for the days energy. Not sure if the 4 sangas a day is a good thing or not πŸ˜•
    Im in the gym 4 outta 5 wk days.

So i think that my gym work could be alot more beneficial once I turn my eating habits around. I do get results and have a fast metabolism, I just want to be more healthy and get my abs out and get the most outta my gains. So guys if I need some help please! How do I work it all out?
    Thanks!

October 1, 2008 at 8:46 pm #7017

We could spend 30 mins writing up the perfect diet for you but it all comes down to how strict you want to be and whats practical for you. You havent been lifting for long so you will need to have patience as your body (hopefully) develops.

A good place to start would be to get rid of your added fats like cheeses, avocados and your 2 minute noodles. This will help you get leaner.

Base all your meals around protein first, then good carbs. Bread and crackers are a shit choice for carbs. Stick to Rice, wholewheat pasta, sweet potatoes/potatoes. Things with fibre/vitamins.

You’re leaving a huge gap from after you finish training, to your next meal. This is a big no no. You should eat a decent meal right after your training. Id have a lean steak and potatoes. Im sure other ppl would have other opinions…but this is whats helped me get big.

How much protein are you having in your shakes? Does the shake have carbs too?

Dont worry about counting calories at this stage. Just focus on cleaning up your meals and training hard. If you’re not getting leaner..slightly cut back on your calories. If you’re not getting bigger, re-assess your training.

Good luck.

October 2, 2008 at 1:05 pm #7018

Thanks Bodytek. I was thinking of getting into the diet quite strictly but your method of easing in is probably more appropriate.
    What you’ve said makes total sense taking a step back and looking at that snack stuff. So far so good with laying off the beer all wk.
    I didnt know that the avo’s would be fattening me up 😯 i thought they were good fats.

Are the sangas ok during the day? or should i be smashing the meat and veges instead?

Im using and “International Protein” Protein synergy 5, also using max’s creax3 creatine

32.8g protein per 40g serve
    2.5g carbs

I also wanted to ask what the benefit of taking flax seed oil is?
    Is there a good book or site, where i can soak alot of this nutrition info up from? I dont get alot of time to surf, most of the stuff i’ve found quickly has been rubbish. Thanks again mate.

October 2, 2008 at 4:24 pm #7019

@JoeBlo wrote:

Thanks Bodytek. I was thinking of getting into the diet quite strictly but your method of easing in is probably more appropriate.
    What you’ve said makes total sense taking a step back and looking at that snack stuff. So far so good with laying off the beer all wk.
    I didnt know that the avo’s would be fattening me up 😯 i thought they were good fats.

They are good fats…so are nuts… But if you go and eat a whole jar of peanut butter youre gonna have a hard time getting lean πŸ™‚ ….i mentioned the avocado cause its only a small amount of food but high in calories and very easy to over eat. Do you eat 1tsp? half an avocado? Sometimes you might just say F#*( it and have the whole thing. It all adds up in the end. If you’re concerned about fats, stick to fish oil.

Are the sangas ok during the day? or should i be smashing the meat and veges instead?

If thats practical for you, then stick to it. At the end of the day it comes down to how many calories you eat VS how many calories you burn. But in my opinion i would stick to potatoes/rice/wholewheat pastas. Green veggies all you can eat!

Im using and “International Protein” Protein synergy 5, also using max’s creax3 creatine

32.8g protein per 40g serve
    2.5g carbs

Your protein is fine. Stick to 1 – 1/2 servings of that protein powder per meal. dont go overboard.

There really isnt too much benefit from flaxseed oil. There are much better choices out there as far as oils go. Many ppl think flaxseed oil is an essential fat but it actually is not. You’re better off sticking to: fishoils, safflower oil, or extra virgin olive oil.

Is there a good book or site, where i can soak alot of this nutrition info up from? I dont get alot of time to surf, most of the stuff i’ve found quickly has been rubbish. Thanks again mate.

Not sure – ive got a degree in nutrition. There is too much information out there but alot of it doesnt need to be complicated as alot of people make it out to be.

October 2, 2008 at 10:44 pm #7020

If you are going to have sandwiches make them the most high in fibre dark rye stuff that you like to eat. There are a few good brands out there that still make a soft and tasty rye. Look for ones that do not include any wheat flour in the ingredients.

October 5, 2008 at 11:27 am #7021

Hey Dave – ill give the rye a shot i’ve had it before and dont mind it, just been going multigrain normally.

Bodytek – i love avo’s i’d eat a whole one quite often haha whoops!

At the end of the day it comes down to how many calories you eat VS how many calories you burn

How do i go about working this out?

What’s your typical diet consist of? Do u allow blowouts on the weekends?

Thanks bodytek

October 5, 2008 at 11:10 pm #7022

If you really want to analyze your diet I quiet like this site

http://www.nutritiondata.com/

There are a few others as well.

Most important thing is to start, measure results, adjust, measure results, adjust, etc, etc.

J

October 7, 2008 at 9:05 am #7023

Thanks dr j i appreciate it.

October 23, 2008 at 10:12 pm #7024

@JoeBlo wrote:

Hey man, try this out:
    http://www.mfcd.net/depot/downloads/flax.pdf

Flaxseed actually has many many benefits to it.. apparantely its a lot better than just fish oil since it has much more omega 3.

And yer i’m with you with the avocado.. but I only consume abt a quarter of it per day

October 23, 2008 at 10:44 pm #7025

@Gym_junkie wrote:

@JoeBlo wrote:

Flaxseed actually has many many benefits to it.. apparantely its a lot better than just fish oil since it has much more omega 3.

And yer i’m with you with the avocado.. but I only consume abt a quarter of it per day

Flaxseed oil doesnt have the necessary intermediates (EPA & DHA) so it doesnt convert well in humans so you are not getting the benefit of the omega3s in the first place.

Not to mention it is estrogenic. Its a terrible choice for males trying to optimise their fat intake. But sure, go ahead and take it πŸ™‚

October 24, 2008 at 1:31 am #7026

@bodytek wrote:

@Gym_junkie wrote:

@JoeBlo wrote:

Flaxseed oil doesnt have the necessary intermediates (EPA & DHA) so it doesnt convert well in humans so you are not getting the benefit of the omega3s in the first place.

Not to mention it is estrogenic. Its a terrible choice for males trying to optimise their fat intake. But sure, go ahead and take it πŸ™‚

Yes. You should go easy on the flaxseed oil. I used to go through 2 or 3 tablespoons a day and once I switched to fish oil my periods stopped. 😈

Fish oil is a better choice. Flaxseed meal (ground up seeds) is a better choice. I kind’a like coconut oil as well. Lots of cals, more good than harm.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.