Leg training

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author

@kinmassive wrote:

I’ve just gone from low reps and high weight to this. I’ve never done this type of high rep stuff before so it’s been good for me.

I’m going to try a 5 x 5 for the next month then back on the high reps again till chrisse which is when I’ll cut down some more again.

As far as my present goals are concerned i have been training for size for forever so i thought i’d cut a little flab and harden up a bit. Which I’ve half done. So now I really want to go for strength for awhile whilst I’m still looking good and then tone again once I’ve reached the weights I want again. Etc etc.

Sitting really comfortably at 106kgs so I’m happy with my size for the time being.

At the risk of complicating the issue,

Ive read where certain people possess different ratios of fast twitch and slow twitch muscle fibers, e.g. sprinter vs marathon runner.
    The idea was to determine your type and train accordingly to exploit your genetic predisposition.
    This seems to be why some people respond better to high rep training, some to low.
    I dont know how you figure out which type you are though.

My theory, like myself, is simple.
    The biggest guys seem to be lifting the biggest weights, coincidence?:wink:

October 23, 2007 at 3:01 am #5316

@Dave996 wrote:

@kinmassive wrote:

I’ve just gone from low reps and high weight to this. I’ve never done this type of high rep stuff before so it’s been good for me.

I’m going to try a 5 x 5 for the next month then back on the high reps again till chrisse which is when I’ll cut down some more again.

As far as my present goals are concerned i have been training for size for forever so i thought i’d cut a little flab and harden up a bit. Which I’ve half done. So now I really want to go for strength for awhile whilst I’m still looking good and then tone again once I’ve reached the weights I want again. Etc etc.

Sitting really comfortably at 106kgs so I’m happy with my size for the time being.

Ive read where certain people possess different ratios of fast twitch and slow twitch muscle fibers, e.g. sprinter vs marathon runner.
    The idea was to determine your type and train accordingly to exploit your genetic predisposition.
    This seems to be why some people respond better to high rep training, some to low.

I have seen programs by Mike Meija as well as Carter Schoeffer where the different phases, have different reps so that you target all muscles fibres.

October 23, 2007 at 5:52 am #5317

when i trained legs 2-3 times a week i went hard each time…never hurt.
    but lunges always hurt..but i love them with the barbell

anyone go to the ifbb ….Mr Sticklegs???

October 23, 2007 at 8:20 am #5318

@Dave996 wrote:

@kinmassive wrote:

wow sorry about huge quote, but my mother was a long distance runner and dad always short distance, and i was always best at short, and sometimes medium distance

what would this mean for me?

October 23, 2007 at 10:27 am #5319

I always like to go hard, but with legs I really have to judge how I’m feeling. If I am not recovered enough from my previous workout (whatever bodyparts that was) I need to back off a little.
    If I don’t I end up overtrained and usually pick up whatever bug is going round.
    I used to train legs on their own. Typical workout was:-
    Squats 3 sets
    Leg Press 3 sets
    Rom. Deads 3 sets
    Leg Curls 3 sets
    Then sometimes I would throw in a couple of sets of lunges or step ups.
    I found I was able to really increase my work capacity, but I never really gained that much size.

Now I use 1 quad and 1 hamstring movement hard and heavy and thats it. This had given me the best results. Also every second workout uses a hip dominant movement (deadlifts) instead of a quad exercise.

October 23, 2007 at 7:16 pm #5320

@unbuff wrote:

[

wow sorry about huge quote, but my mother was a long distance runner and dad always short distance, and i was always best at short, and sometimes medium distance

what would this mean for me?

This would mean you are a confused young man who keeps runnin’ and runnin’ and runnin’. πŸ˜† Cos you know my mama always said…..

October 23, 2007 at 7:17 pm #5321
    Chad wrote:
    I always like to go hard, but with legs I really have to judge how I’m feeling. If I am not recovered enough from my previous workout (whatever bodyparts that was) I need to back off a little.
    If I don’t I end up overtrained and usually pick up whatever bug is going round.
    I used to train legs on their own. Typical workout was:-
    Squats 3 sets
    Leg Press 3 sets
    Rom. Deads 3 sets
    Leg Curls 3 sets
    Then sometimes I would throw in a couple of sets of lunges or step ups.
    I found I was able to really increase my work capacity, but I never really gained that much size.

Now I use 1 quad and 1 hamstring movement hard and heavy and thats it. This had given me the best results. Also every second workout uses a hip dominant movement (deadlifts) instead of a quad exercise.

When do you do your calves?

October 31, 2007 at 2:34 am #5322

I’m bumping this because i haven’t got the answers I’m looking for.

So to make it easier for me to decide, what do you all do for your leg day?

October 31, 2007 at 4:31 am #5323

Well im not up to your weight standards or anything but this is what ive been doing.

Squats

Lunges

Leg Curl

Leg Ext

Deads

Lunges are my most hated exercise. If you do osme research its kind of interesting how many muscles get worked when doing them.
    Try adding a decent amount of weight to lunges and doing 3 sets right after Squats πŸ™‚

October 31, 2007 at 6:01 am #5324

yeah, i know wot u mean spillz.

your talking DB lunges, and taking a big long step forward? If so, bring ur bucket along.

October 31, 2007 at 6:25 am #5325

@SpilZ wrote:

Squats

Lunges

Leg Curl

Leg Ext

Deads

Rightio, how about reps, sets and effect?

October 31, 2007 at 11:22 pm #5326

OK heres what ive been doing lately.

I usually do Deadlifts on Back day and go heavy so that why its not included here for Legs.

Then for Legs

Squats: 3 x (6-10) Heavy as you can go πŸ™‚

Barbell Lunges: 3 x (15-20) with a decent weight.

Leg Extensions: 3 x (8-12) Heavy

Leg Curls: 3 x (10-15) Decent weight.

Standing Calf Raises with Barbell: 3 x 20 – Heavy.

Somestimes i superset doing Squats then Lunges/ or Leg Ext to Leg Curl

But its pretty intense hehe.

But like i said ive seen the amounts of weight your hitting and im no way near your level so whatever your doing seems to be working fairly well.

November 1, 2007 at 11:40 am #5327

@SpilZ wrote:

But like i said ive seen the amounts of weight your hitting and im no way near your level so whatever your doing seems to be working fairly well.

That has nothing to do with it to be honest. Strength doesn’t always mean muscle.
    I just need to see what everyone else does and so far I seem to be doing more than most as usual?

November 1, 2007 at 11:59 am #5328

id like to know wot ur lifting kin, even if u just tell 1st set weights. because honestly, after hitting 3 sets of squats, im really fatigued, and find it hard to go on.

November 1, 2007 at 8:52 pm #5329

Right now I’m doing this. (5 x 5)

Squats – 80, 100, 140, 150, 150 (on monday I did 3 reps at 170kgs also, just to see if I could)

Deads – 120, 140, 160, 180, 180

Fronts – 80, 80, 100, 110,110 (these KILL me, the neighbours must seriously wonder what I’m cursing at πŸ˜€ .)

Leg curls – 60 x 4

Standing calf raises – 120, 150, 150, 160, 160

One thing I have noticed is that since starting this really heavy type stuff on legs, I’ve been able to notice my knees. They are not hurting or anything like that, I can just feel that they are there. If that makes any sense.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.