Lats

  • This topic is empty.
  • Author
    Posts
  • October 10, 2008 at 3:00 am #1057

    Hi everyone,

    I can’t seem to get a good pump through my lats. I wake up in the morning and don’t feel the muscle ache as I do with every other body part I train.

    What am I doing wrong? My technique is good, I am using enough weights and I do enough exercises for it.

    I do bent over row, lat pull downs and cable row. Is there any other method I can do?

    Should I spend a whole day just training the lats exclusively and more often? I do my back twice a week in a split and prob 1 hour to do a whole back workout including lats.

    October 10, 2008 at 4:24 am #7074

    @geovl wrote:

    Hi everyone,
    What am I doing wrong? My technique is good, I am using enough weights and I do enough exercises for it.

    Are you sure your form is spot on? and your really using your lats to move the bar up and not ur arms?

    I’ve been training for at least over 2 years now, or even 3 and now only just learned how to do bent over rows properly.

    October 10, 2008 at 5:16 am #7075

    @unbuff wrote:

    @geovl wrote:

    Hi everyone,
    What am I doing wrong? My technique is good, I am using enough weights and I do enough exercises for it.

    Are you sure your form is spot on? and your really using your lats to move the bar up and not ur arms?

    I’ve been training for at least over 2 years now, or even 3 and now only just learned how to do bent over rows properly.

    So the first 2 years you were a member here you didn’t even train.. strange someone would join a bodybuilding/supplement forum and not train. 😛

    October 10, 2008 at 5:52 am #7076

    @geovl wrote:

    What am I doing wrong? My technique is good, I am using enough weights and I do enough exercises for it.

    Lets redefine these words a bit then:
    I am doing it wrong!
    My technique is no good,
    I dont use enough weights,
    I dont do enough exercises for it.

    Its like you didnt do even one thing right then? Well thats the appearance, not that its right to smudge everything said.

    I’d suggest a complete change of every exercise for another, as a starting mark, and re-learn the whole thing again.

    Give fatman pullups (hands supinated & together) a go, with your feet on a stool, and add weight in your lap as soon as you can. Add Rest-Pause to the last set & see if you can reach a total of 15 or 20 reps on it. DA

    October 10, 2008 at 6:19 am #7077

    What other lat exercises do you recommend?

    I don’t think lat pull downs are working for me. Then again it might be my technique and not enough weights like you think. But if its one thing I have been told ‘Technique is everything’ and I try to stick by this.

    Should I dedicate a day workout just for my lats and do it more than twice a week on a split or am I over training?

    And NO I am not pulling with my arms. I feel the morning pain in mainly my lower back and traps but my lats don’t feel NOTHING.

    Lats are my favourite body part (go figure) and cant get in the zone.

    October 10, 2008 at 8:33 pm #7078

    You need to focus on building thickness. Building overall mass in your back. This in turn will make your lats wider and bigger in time.

    The best way is to learn proper back training technique which most ppl dont use. (Thats why 99% of lifters dont have any back)

    Exercises:
    Seated low rows
    Machine rows
    Pull downs

    Seated rows: Focus on retracting your shoulder blades as you move the weight. You cant simply move the stack from A to B as this will involve mostly arms. Keep your elbows low to your side.

    When you perform pull downs, angle your elbows slightly forward. This will engage your lats immediately. Try it on yourself while ur sitting at the desk. The minute you move and flare your elbows to the side, ur no longer using your back, but rather ur shoulders.

    This is prob the best i can do without giving you a one on one session where id promise to tear your back up so much youd think you had a piano on your back 24/7 😉

    October 10, 2008 at 10:20 pm #7079

    @geovl wrote:

    I don’t think lat pull downs are working for me. Then again it might be my technique and not enough weights like you think. But if its one thing I have been told ‘Technique is everything’ and I try to stick by this.

    I see a lot of people doing these as a sort of low back/rear delt combo exercise.

    More likely to be using to much weight rather than to little.

    First as Bodytek suggests try pushing your elbows forward, this will also stop you leaning back. Keep your back vertical. Pull the bar to your chest. Wide grip palms forward so you take bis out as much as possible.

    If you can’t get your reps through pull ups start with pullups, move straight to pull downs then polish off with lying or standing pull overs.

    October 11, 2008 at 4:05 am #7080

    The ELBOWS….. so my technique is wrong. All the mags and people who I have gotten advice from never mentioned this. I’ll definitely keep this in mind in my next session. Thanks.

    I’m doing my back on Monday and hopefully feel it this time. I’ll keep you posted.

    October 11, 2008 at 6:23 am #7081

    @geovl wrote:

    The ELBOWS….. so my technique is wrong. All the mags and people who I have gotten advice from never mentioned this. I’ll definitely keep this in mind in my next session. Thanks.

    I’m doing my back on Monday and hopefully feel it this time. I’ll keep you posted.

    during your warmup (if u dont do it, then do it) And keep ur back arched and really pull the bar in and feel ur lats. When its your workout set, you’ll find you’ll have to lower the weight.

    October 12, 2008 at 8:45 pm #7082

    Deadlifts

    Weighted chins, with a full stretch at the bottom.

    See if I lie.

    October 13, 2008 at 3:52 am #7083

    I always pre exhaust back with straight arm pulldowns or on the pullover machine-just seems to help with the connection.

    October 18, 2008 at 10:46 am #7084

    All good. Thanks all.

  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.