Just Weight Gain??

Home / Forums / Diet and Nutrition / Just Weight Gain??

• This topic is empty.
  • Author

hi, well i just wanted to know if taking WPI will help me gain weight.
    I really need to gain, i havent done weight traing before(well actually for about 2weeks a few yrs ago 😳 ), so other than maybe a few days of push-ups everyweek, all i want to do is put on weight!
    I’m eating tuna, eggs, rice, fruit, vegetables everday, but now im thinking i might need a protein drink aswell. Its abit hard for me, cause i cant take too much suger, and im lactose intolerant.
    I was actually thinking of getting that dr cabots shake, because it has no lactose and has stevia instead of suger, until i came across this site and thought it looked abit more qaulity.

So should i get a protein supplement even though im not training, and would the WPI(csep or MF?) be the right choice?

thanks for any help.
    πŸ™‚

February 20, 2006 at 5:29 am #2347

I’m guessing unless your malnourished, which you don’t sound to be, then I’d say that protein shakes won’t “make you gain weight”

When I was younger I tried that, not realising I had to be consistant and actually work out to gain weight!

So in answer to your question; You probably won’t get fat eating good food because i’m assuming your a skinny hardgainer like me, so only eat when your hungry UNLESS you want to start a weight training program along with your protein etc and be consistent enough to reap the benifits years down the track!

Do a bit of reseach without all the hype first, you won’t gain 10kg in 2 weeks, it takes time and dedication!

Hope that helps a bit!

Cheers!

February 20, 2006 at 9:46 am #2348

hi, thanks for the reply.
    So unless i do weight training, then i wont gain weight? I thought i just have to eat more calories than i burn, and im trying to do that, and i have gained a abit, so im assuming if i keep eating alot, than i’ll slowly(which i dont mind that much) gain some weight.
    The problem is i have to eat alot, which i can do, but if i can get even more calories and protein from WPI, wouldnt it help, even slightly?
    If not, then i’ll just keep eating, because like i said, it is working slowly, but some days i just cant eat like i would like.

thanks again.

February 20, 2006 at 8:40 pm #2349

You don’t have to weight train to gain weight.

Go to the food hall at the local mall and you’ll see lotsa’ folks who’ve gained a tonne of weight by lifting nothing more than a fork and knife.

If you take in more energy than you burn you will gain weight. However, your body will tend to store this energy as efficiently as it can which means into fat stores.

I don’t believe eating protein in excess to your energy requirements will lead to preferential storage of this energy as muscle unless you give your body a reason to do so.

That’s not to say a little bit of whey isn’t a good idea for people who don’t train. I happen to think it is. But then I would wouldn’t I!

J

February 21, 2006 at 12:42 am #2350

I just meant “good weight” ie, not fat, after all, you said your eating good food. Silly me. Sorry to confuse you.

February 22, 2006 at 7:48 pm #2351

what dr J said applies, you need to eat more, down lots of food. Now if you train with weights your body will be more interested in putting on extra muscle than fat as you are providing it with a stimulus, fat people eat crap and do no exercise so the body is set up for fat gain not muscle.

Now you will gain some fat hopefully not much with weight training but the key to weight gain is consistent training and getting in a lot of food. Look to eat a lot of your calories after training (protein shake with dextrose (simply the sugar glucose) helps with the addition of muscle and read up on other posts on this site and you will get the basic idea of how to put on muscle. Basic points are eat lots and try to make take in a lot of food after you have trained.

February 24, 2006 at 2:05 pm #2352

thanks for the replies.
    Ok, just to make it clearer, im not ready yet just to start a proper weight training program. But I am underweight, so i must put some on, fat or muscle, at this stage im not too fussed, believe me.
    Now i think i am gaining slowly, maybe 1 or 2 kg over the last 2 weeks, to me thats good, as i used to eat less than what i burned.
    So eating alot has had an effect, its just sometimes i cant, or dont feel like eating another 3 eggs, when i ate 3 already, if you know what i mean. So im thinking a protein drink will give me the extra calories, without having to feel like im eating a meal.
    I mean i could’ve got any high energy drink, and maybe it wouldve worked too, but like i mentioned earlier, i cant have lactose, and i need to keep sugar/carbs low as much as i can control.
    Thats why the WPI appealed to me at the moment.

I know muscle is better etc…but just for now i want to gain any sort of weight.

thanks again.

February 24, 2006 at 6:50 pm #2353

Add flaxseed oil to your shakes and maybe some peanut butter πŸ˜‰

February 24, 2006 at 7:21 pm #2354

@foodsta wrote:

So eating alot has had an effect, its just sometimes i cant, or dont feel like eating another 3 eggs, when i ate 3 already, if you know what i mean. So im thinking a protein drink will give me the extra calories, without having to feel like im eating a meal.

This is really were supplementary shakes come in. Normally you’d have a mix of protein and high GI carbs so that you’re still nice and hungry at your next meal.

Carb intolerance makes it harder but Ian’s idea is good. Try bumping up cals by adding good fats but keep an eye on how it effects your appetite.

J

March 15, 2006 at 8:34 am #2355

thanks for all the replies guys.
    ok going to test some out tonight or tomorrow, that’s the MF WPI.

Just wondering how much to take?
    Is 15g mixed with 250ml liquid ok? i was thinking of shaking it with some oatmilk.

Also how much protien and overall KJ’s would 15g or the required amount, provide?

thanks again.

March 15, 2006 at 9:54 am #2356

try about 30g, 120calories thas like a number of kilojoules πŸ˜€

March 15, 2006 at 12:46 pm #2357

so there’s 120 calories in 30g of WPI?
    and 30g is ok in about 250ml liquid?
    im thinking about taking it twice a day..

March 15, 2006 at 8:24 pm #2358

Sounds like a plan. I’d add to milk in your case.

J

March 16, 2006 at 2:20 am #2359

lol, hang on im confused πŸ˜•
    just a yay or nay would help me out πŸ˜›

so theres 120calories in 30g? which is 512kj?

and should i take 15g twice a day in 250ml liquid or 30g x2?

i was thinking about putting it in milk, but because of the lactose…..

i tried 15g last night in oatmilk, didnt realise 15g was that many teaspoons……
    anyway shook it up real good, but still had lumps in it(dry powder in the lumps). Does the wpi have to be mixed in a blender?

thanks again.

March 16, 2006 at 3:26 am #2360

i have used the shakers, blender, and hand blender.
    i have found the blenders to be the best.
    if you use a shaker i found the best thing to do is shake it, then let it site for a few mins and shake it again should get ride of all the lumps.
    (note if you use a hand blender make sure you use a big measuring cup or something like that or your protien will go everywhere)

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.