Joels new 10 week strongman blitz

Home / Forums / Blog It! / Joels new 10 week strongman blitz

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 107 total)
  • Author

Hi fellas I have decided to man up and start training hard again as I am about 8 weeks out from my next show. My trainer has set up a program for me that I will be following for 10 weeks then it will be reviewed on how I am going and adjustments will be made.

I will do my best to keep you all updated as I go and I will refer back to this to see how I am going. Anyway here we go.

Week one.

MONDAY

Deadlift 100kg x 15
    140kg x 10
    180kg x 6
    200kg x 5 x 4 (straps)

Lat pulldown 100kg x 12 x 3

Seated Row 140kg x 12 x 3

Standing db curls 20kg x 10 x 2
    27.5 x 8 x 2
    30kg x 6 x 3

Abs 100 reps of whatever

30mins cardio.

TUESDAY

Bench press 60 x 20 x 2
    100 x 6
    120 x 5 x 2
    130 x 2 x 2

Incline DB press 45kg x 8 x 4

Skull crushers 60kg x 12 x 4

Pushdowns 70kg x 8 x 4

Abs 100 reps whatever

30 mins cardio (treadmill, bike)

Rightio so I have done the first two days and I can tell you that I am FUCKING sore!!

I haven’t felt like this for quite some time and to be honest it is because I don’t really psh myself that little bit further each session for whatever reason whether it be self preservation or no spot to help push me through the last two failure reps?? My wife helped me with the last two reps of failure when needed and I really impressed myself actually

My current weight is 106kg and my BF is ok (mirror) In the last two days I have already noticed the fat loss, say what you like but it is fact. I have had a day off today and will hit overheads tomorrow morning so it will be intersting to see if my body will respond being as fatigued as it is right now.

I start dieting in about two weeks and would like to see some good definition prior to competing so that my muscle weight is higher and my BF weight is lower even if it is by a couple of kilo’s.

May 6, 2009 at 8:54 am #8163

Shit I just realised that I have now given you all my bloody name ha ha. Damn I am no longer anonymous πŸ˜†

May 6, 2009 at 9:32 am #8164

mmmmmmmmmuuuuuuaaahahahahaha just what we have all been waiting for, now for credit card scams and emails from your long lost nigerian cousins.

May 6, 2009 at 10:44 am #8165

Nice man.

Its good to have someone to chase online hehe
    Keeps my blood rage stoked lol

May 7, 2009 at 8:17 am #8166

THURSDAY

Power clean and press
    60 x 15 x 2
    80 x 10 x 2
    90 x 6
    100 x 3 x 2
    105 x 2

Close grip upright rows
    60kg x 12 x 4

Side lateral raise
    15kg x 8 x 4
    (I do these very strict on each shoulder seperately)

I wasn’t really into it tonite to be honest and struggled at first with the high reps on overheads. I usually hit high reps with just a standing press but the power clean then press really knocks the wind outta ya quick smart.

I went for a 110kg but was only able to clean it as I was fatigued. I cruised through the rst of the session no probs and even went back and snapped out 2 x 10 x 60kg O/H presses with explosive movements as I felt I hadn’t really done enough.

I then jumped onto the treadmill for a fast paced walk for 15mins just to finish up.

May 7, 2009 at 9:17 am #8167

Hahaha I just looked at the strongman site and it had the Qld results up and I was trying to remember where you’d placed to work out your name and then here you are giving it away.

You must be slipping in your old age.

Program looks pretty full on anyway.

May 10, 2009 at 4:15 am #8168

Please don’t keep reminding me of my age Bull ha ha πŸ˜† It makes me train harder!

FRIDAY

Squats
    60kg x 15 x 2
    100kg x 12 x 1
    120 x 12 x 1
    140 x 6 x 6

Leg press
    310 x 8 x 3
    (didn’t have to do this just felt like it)

Lying leg curls
    60kg x 12 x 3

Leg extension
    90kg x 12 x 3

Abs
    Cable crunches with 7 plates x 20 x 5 (love this shit)

Walked out the pain for 15mins on the treadmill.

I used wraps on the last couple of sets on squats as I have just bought a new pair of APT strangulators and hadn’t yet tried them. Un bloody believeable to be honest, so good I tried them on the press as well, dificult to get into position but once in they were great yet again.

You can say what you like but the wraps really allowed me to isolate the legs instead of worrying about my knees bowing and carrying on when i tire.

Anyway, REALLY didn’t feel like walking into the gym this night but I did anyway and was very glad when I finished that I had made the effort. i didn’t do any cardio as required but I am under the belief that cardio is not best done straight after legs.

Saturday was supposed to be my event day in Brissie but unfortunately i got Daddy day care duties as the missus and office girl had a first aid course than ran all day, come that afternoon it was rest time.

Sunday.
    I am still undecided as to whether I am going to do anything as my body feels good but my legs are canning (good pain though). Will update tonite or tomorrow.

Monday will see the start of a new week of training and things will change slightly.

My weight has dropped to a leaner 103kg, one week of cardio and i drop two kgs ha ha. Feeling good and am glad this is heavy as I have another comp in Kalbar in mid July that will be a beauty to compete in as it has atractor pull which I have not yet done.

The Sydney show has had two changes on the rules in relation to two of the lifts and they are:
    Stone for height is now a 130kg stone for reps at 1.2m, kinda sucks for me as I am one of the tallest competitors.
    Yolk has been dropped to a lower weight apparently which really sucks as 245 is fucken nothing and i have been training with anywhere up to 285kg!!

Not sure where these rule changes have come from but it will be intersting to find out when the time comes. Oh yeah I got a mention in the Ironmind website heres the link http://www.ironmind.com/ironcms/morenewsv6.php?id=2976#2976 pretty happy with that. The picture is of my main rival Ryan who is the current National champ, very strong mutha fucker. Has a very broad powerlifting career apparently and is only just 24yrs old i think. He ain’t nothin but a peanut though ha ha I will nail him on the walking vents but he will be hard to catch on the stones as you can see on the picture.

Talk soon.

May 11, 2009 at 9:29 am #8169

On a quick note i ended up doing some cardio on Sunday arvo. i did 15mins on the treadmill and then did some 25m runs with 100kg farmers.

MONDAY Week 2
    Deads from platform (no straps)
    100 x 15
    140 x 12
    160 x 8 x 4
    180 x 6 x 3

Lat pulldowns
    85 x 12 x 3

Seated rows
    130 x 12 x 3

Barbell curls (with swing on 60 & 70kg)
    30 x 10 x 2
    60 x 8 x 4
    70 x 6 x 2

Decline crunches with 10kg weight on chest
    4 x 20

1/2hr jog then stretch for 15minutes

I was really into it this arvo and am feeling very strong! My deads have improved so much in the last few moths that i am considering going for a 260kg lift in the coming weeks…maybe more??

The cardio and stretching is already paying off as i have heaps more wind in the gym already and my lower back is no longer hurting AT ALL and i attribute this to the advice i read on “stronglifts”. It states that the lower back area should be regularly stretched to acheive better lifts and with everything I have read lately in regards to stretching i thought I’d better get with the program and my flexibilty is alot better already.

May 15, 2009 at 9:11 pm #8170

TUESDAY

Bench press
    60 x 20 x 2
    100 x 12 x 4

Incline DB press
    40 x 8 x 4

Skull Crushers
    50 x 10 x 4

Tricep pushdowns
    50 x 10 x 4

Knee raises
    20 x 3

Lying vertical crunch
    90 x 1

20mins cardio

Smashed this session and felt rediculously pumped. I had almost forgotten what a pump felt like, it was great to walk back into the house feeling like Arnie…feeling only ha ha.

WEDNESDAY – Off

THURSDAY

Power clean & press
    60 x 15 x2
    80 x 5
    80 x 10 (press only)
    90 x 10
    90 x 5

Close grip rows
    60 x 10 x 4

Side lat raise (single arm)
    15 x 6 x 4 (each shoulder)

No abs or cardio.

This session was gruelling as it is so freaken cold here now that when I started the clean and press my throat and chest was burning from sucking in the cold air hence the reason I mixed it up a little tonite ie press only movement. I never went past 90kg tonite as I will be doing 90kg log for reps over 75 seconds so i might as well focus on that for now and try and build my endurance for this weight. Closer to the time I will up the weight to 100kg.

I have legs today and will be hitting a comercial gym with a few gym buddies as i need so pushing in the rack. I really want to build my squat up so i need a good spotter. Will let you know how I go.

Start dieting and as of Monday and train events each weekend away.

May 16, 2009 at 1:28 am #8171

SATURDAY
    Squats
    60 x 15 x 2
    100 x 12 x 1
    120 x 10 x 1
    140 x 8 x 4
    160 x 4 x 1

Leg curl
    13 plates x 12 x 4

Seated calf raise
    120 x 12 x 4
    120 x 15 x 1

Cardio
    Cross trainer @level 15 for 25 mins (good machine)

I trained with a BB mate today and he is always good to help you push through sticky points and gives me soemone to have a yak with during the 3 minute breaks between sets on squats. I used the cross trainer for the first time this morning and it was very low impact and got the job done. i kept my heart rate at between 70 and 120 BPM so i was pretty much in the zone in the last 6-8minutes I can tell ya. Anyway it was a good session and forget how good it is to train with another strong bloke. Might do some events tomorrow…we’ll see. πŸ˜‰

May 20, 2009 at 7:03 am #8172

SUNDAY

45mins cardio and ab work.

MONDAY
    19″ Rack pulls
    100 x 15
    140 x 10
    180 x 5
    200 x 5
    240 x 5 x 4

Reverse/close grip pulldowns
    100 x 10 x 3

One arm bent over DB rows
    50 x 12 x 4

Standing hammer curls
    30 x 12 x 4

TUESDAY
    Flat bench
    60 x 20 x 2
    120 x 6 x 3
    130 x 5 x 1

Incline DB press
    40 x 10 x 4

Skull crushers
    55 x 15 x 4

Tricep pushdowns
    60 x 10 x 4

Decline crunch with 10kg weight x 15 x 5

25mins on treadmill (jog and sprint)

WEDNESDAY
    OFF

I went to the chiro today as my lower back has become that bloody stiff it is unbearable! As usual they gave me a quick twist and a crack took my money and sent me on my way. I have another appoinment on Friday and I will be taking in my xrays and hopefully find out what is going on. Fingers crossed.

May 20, 2009 at 7:07 am #8173

@kinmassive wrote:

SUNDAY
    I went to the chiro today as my lower back has become that bloody stiff it is unbearable! As usual they gave me a quick twist and a crack took my money and sent me on my way. I have another appoinment on Friday and I will be taking in my xrays and hopefully find out what is going on. Fingers crossed.

Good workouts.
    Ive been getting lower back issues aswell. On the left side, above my bum, the muscle feels like its being worked constantly, even when standing still. its alittle swollen aswell. I saw a chiro about it, but he cracked me so hard it hurt for days and did nothing. So tomorrow im seeing a physio.

goodluck with yours.

May 20, 2009 at 7:23 am #8174

Physio should be your first option. You probably have to put in a few corrective exercises and get some frequent massage.

May 20, 2009 at 9:13 am #8175

@unbuff wrote:

Good workouts.
    Ive been getting lower back issues aswell. On the left side, above my bum, the muscle feels like its being worked constantly, even when standing still. its alittle swollen aswell. I saw a chiro about it, but he cracked me so hard it hurt for days and did nothing. So tomorrow im seeing a physio.

goodluck with yours.

Mine is on my right hand side in exactly the same spot. It feels tense constantly and I have to stretch the shit outta it but it seems to make no difference. My wife gave me a great rub last nite and it helped heaps so i am going to get a massage like Dave said after my visit on Fridee.

How’s this, yesterday arv it was tight as and I was really watching the way I moved etc then i dropped my paint tray and i went to grab it and HOLY fuck! It honestly felt as though I had torn a muscle as it burned like hell and today it feels as though I have bruised it. Definately something that needs repair.

I think alot of it has to do with being a lone trainer and not having a coach to coreect possible bad form etc?

May 20, 2009 at 9:38 am #8176

The wife gave you a rub ey… im sure it felt great. πŸ˜€

Anyways, if your muscle tissue is degraded (like my shoulder girdle is) you will need a lot of massage until it becomes of higher in quality. Once you have had a fair bit of work done it should feel a lot better. You may need to check your form but I would assume its not too bad what you may need is to do a few corrective exercises as you may have a hip imbalance (left up higher than right etc). A physio will give you a really good idea of what is wrong and tell you how to fix it. Some ideas: You may have foot issues than lead up to the hip issues, or it could just be a straight out problem with your hip. You could have had some tissue injury or connective tissue injury in the past that is giving you this problem. OR it could just be you squat or dead etc form is off slightly and the years of doing it have made a problem. OR it may just be due to high and frequent loads over the years degrading your tissue quality.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 107 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.