ive hit a plateau – need help with sets variations!

Home / Forums / Weight Training & Conditioning / ive hit a plateau – need help with sets variations!

• This topic is empty.
  • Author

Hi All,

I have currently hit a plateau in my training, I used to be able to up the weight with things like a dumbbell shoulder press every few weeks but I am struggling at the moment! I notice other people changing the weight for each set, for example – I am currently doing 3 x 12 – 20kg dumbbell shoulder presses and usually try and max it out on the last set. Just wondering if it is beneficial to maybe do 1 x 10 – 22.5kg set and then (cant do another set of 22.5!) move down a size and do another 2 sets of 20kg …. Maybe even drastically do another few sets after that at 15kg? should I stick to my current training – or should I mix it up a bit with different weights for each set etc? not sure of the benefits of working from smaller weigh to a heavier weight also. Cant find any research on this so any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks!

Shane

October 15, 2008 at 8:17 am #7132

Maybe your diet is inadequate. Eat more cals and see if that makes a difference. People always think there’s something wrong with their training when they hit plateaus, but seldom look at thir diet. Not sayin it is in your case but that’s where I’d start if i were you.

October 15, 2008 at 8:35 am #7133

definately not low on carbs, i eat way too much as it is! double lunches – always eating

October 15, 2008 at 8:36 am #7134

Post you diet then with stats…

October 17, 2008 at 1:51 am #7135

My diet is food, lots of pepsi max…

oh not me sorry!!!

What your suggesting is a form of reverse pyramidding. not bad but Im not a fan of it to start my workouts because I believe you need to pput some blood into the muscle group ur working b4 u put any weight into the movements.

If your hitting a sticking point why dont you try and pre exhaust your muscle you are working with an isolation movement b4 the heavy compound?

eg.

Side raises 3 x 20 then go onto your presses. If you can still push the 20’s you are making the muscle work harder because you ahve already done the side laterals

October 17, 2008 at 4:10 am #7136

@JIMMYSADEK wrote:

What your suggesting is a form of reverse pyramidding. not bad but Im not a fan of it to start my workouts because I believe you need to pput some blood into the muscle group ur working b4 u put any weight into the movements.

Pyramid exercises can work well if done something similar to this:
    10 reps at 50%, 8 reps at 70%, 6 reps at 80%, try for 6x at 90-95%, then rip off 2 to 3 sets of 65% until dead. DA

October 17, 2008 at 10:42 pm #7137

Here’s something I’ve always wanted to try.

Grab the 22.5kg DBs do 6 reps, rest 40-60s, then 6 reps, normal rest and repeat. Then over progressive weeks decrease the short rest interval till it’s nothing.

This is just a form of progression to make up for the fact you can’t get your hands on 21.25kg DBs.

In any case you’ve got to change things somehow. Pick something, do it and let us know how you went.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.