Intro + advice

• This topic is empty.
  • Author

G’day all.

Will just introdyce myself before I start asking away.

I’m 22, 6’3 and fairly slim (think sudanese type of build). I have a big passion for motorbikes and recently found another…Health and fitness.

Been on many sites/forums and read a few nutrition books over 6 months, yet still feel unsure on weight training. For the moment it’s a good time for me to save money so I workout from home with a mate untill i’m able to head down to the gym (4-6 months).

My aim is not to be unrealistic and be rambo in 6 months but to bulk up a little and be ripped in however long it takes me. Here is what i have so far which may or may not be completly wrong but any tips and advice would be a big help guys.

Day 1/
    Bench press
    Skull crusher
    Pull-over
    Dips
    Dumbbell fly

Day 2
    Dumbbell curl
    Chin ups
    Barbell curl
    Bent over row
    Hammer Curl

Day 3
    Deadlifts
    Dumbbell press
    Good-morning
    Shrugs
    Military press

July 29, 2009 at 11:51 am #8447

Welcome to the forums. If you are naturally very slim then to get big you really need to eat ALOT. Lots of meals 5-6 times a day, dont wait till you are hungry just eat. Higher calorie foods are good but I would advise against junk or sugar as it may not make you fat due to your natural thinness but it will destroy your body internally.

The program you have below needs a big overhaul. I would look at hitting major compound lift such as Deadlifts, Squats, Pullups, Bench Press, Rows, Shoulder press etc more often than curls. You should be focusing on 2-3 of the major compound lifts each workout (Lots of deads and squats will really bring your size up and effect your strength dramatically, just ask Unbuff who used to be a skinny one when he joined too) and then add in one of two other exercise such as curls, shoulder raises, leg curls etc etc to each workout varying the muscles each workout that get that little extra attention.

Do that for 6 months and just try to lift heavy and then evaluate your goals once you have created your base strength and size. I would suggest something like the 5×5 ideals for you. That is 5 sets of 5 heavy reps for each compound exercise and then maybe 3 sets of 6-10 reps for the assistance exercises.

Good luck

July 29, 2009 at 11:33 pm #8448

@ryan66 wrote:

Day 1/
    Bench press
    Skull crusher
    Pull-over
    Dips
    Dumbbell fly

Day 2
    Dumbbell curl
    Chin ups
    Barbell curl
    Bent over row
    Hammer Curl

Day 3
    Deadlifts
    Dumbbell press
    Good-morning
    Shrugs
    Military press

Yes. This is really unbalanced. What you’ve got is

Day 1
    Chest/Tri’s
    Tri’s
    Back
    Chest/Tri’s
    Tris

Day 2
    Bi’s
    Back/Bi’s
    Bi’s
    Back/Bi’s
    Bi’s

Day 3
    Legs/Back
    Shoulders?
    Back
    Traps
    Shoulders/Tri’s

Not very balanced is it. What Dave said โ—

July 30, 2009 at 10:18 pm #8449

@ryan66 wrote:

G’day all.
    I have a big passion for motorbikes and recently found another…Health and fitness.

Me to, and they can be strange bedfellows at times if you love your overnighters away with pisshead mates..

To be honest, theres such an over supply of info and opinions out there it can do your head in. But like the other Dave said, 5×5 is a sound method for muscle and strength gain. It’s got the runs on the board and the endorsment top trainers and athletes alike to make it a worthy investment of your time. It’s not easy, but if you put the work in, you’ll get what your after.

Heres a couple of links that explain whats it’s all about.

http://stronglifts.com/

http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm

BTW is that you in the pic? Watcha got there, 1098? CBR? R1?..

July 31, 2009 at 3:00 am #8450

Thanks for the info guys. I’ll be sure to lurk around here and those sites for some information.

The pic isn’t me, was quicker to search for a small pic with a ridiculous 80×80 pixels rather than trying to downsize a large one from camera. But it is a 1098 and i own a cbr and vtr with my eye on a gixxer in a couple of months.

July 31, 2009 at 10:41 pm #8451

Well other than the obvious answers that you have been given above, I think the question you have to ask yourself is what do I REALLY want, functional strength and mass or a little mass, little strength and some beach muscles??

Unfortunately for you as you don’t seem genetically gifted so are going to have to choose one and really focus on that until you have created a base in which with your body and knowledge you will then be able to make your next decision.

Before I go any further when you say Sudanese build did you mean you are a bean pole that stinks? ๐Ÿ˜† Sorry couldn’t help myself…

Realistically you will have to lift hard and heavy for at least 2-3 years I’d say, if not longer before you will even begin to see the results that you want. Also you will have to up your calorie intake to about 3-4 times what you consume now and to do that you will need not so much a specific diet but more so a timed one in which you will eat every 2-2.5 hrs with high cal meals and or weight gainer shakes.

Forget BB type training methods and forget the average diets you read about, these diets are more aimed at the average joe who has gained a liitle to much and wants to tone up, not the ectomorph body type who wants to beef up.

Forget clean calories all the time YOU can get away with eating more pizza’s, high fat type stuff than anyone….provided you work. Look up a diet called the ‘ Anabolic Diet’ .

See you in 3 years…… ๐Ÿ˜‰

August 1, 2009 at 4:56 am #8452

๐Ÿ˜† Just the sudanese build, no other similarities thank god.

I eat 5-6 times daily, fish/chicken/steak and so on with alot of carbs and a fair amount of veggies. That being said I try to eat like a dog with previously said plus any other meal i can get a hold of like pizza and a big greasy kebab after a night out drinking.

My goal is to gain muscle mass and be well tonned with strength, not too interested in hitting the gym just to be a tosser and walk up and down the beach. Obviously I understand I don’t have the genetics to be the next jay cutler so not trying to fight it, rather just trying to be healthy, fit and tonned.

September 27, 2009 at 6:41 am #8453

After advice from some people and reading in spare time i’ve taken a different approach which is not yet final but here goes…

Bench press 5×5
    Deadlifts 5×5
    Shoulder press 3×8
    rows 5×5
    Shrugs 3×8

Chin ups (as many in one set,rest then continue) Chin-ups vs Pull ups??
    Dumbbell fly 5×5
    Squats 5×5
    Concentration bicep curl 3×8
    Skull crusher 3×8

Abs (inbetween)

3 times a week mixing it up a little while keeping it balanced.

criticism wanted.

Cheers

September 27, 2009 at 11:35 pm #8454

You might like to adjust the 5 x 5 to Chad Waterburys approach.

Bench press 5×5 = total 25 reps. Pick a weight that you can do for 5-6 reps in good form. Stop each set when your lifting speed slows. Do as many sets as needed to hit the total reps number.

There are other ways to finesse 5 x 5 but Whaterburys is nice and simple.

October 3, 2009 at 3:02 am #8455

Thanks for the advice, will be trying something different this week to get the results i’m after.

have a new dilemma now, i have a job for few weeks that is very physicly demanding that starts at 5:30am so too early to workout in morning but feel completly stuffed when i get home at 5-6. Am i just pushing body too hard after work on training days or nothing to worry about?

October 3, 2009 at 5:38 am #8456

Yes mate you are! To compensate, try to get an hour or more snooze in every day. Plus give yourself a little more time off – like one less workout per week, or some way of lightening up, maybe make one or two of your workouts lighter ones with less effort. DA

November 6, 2009 at 2:32 am #8457

I think i am not too late to save you from making the biggest mistakes most beginners succumb to.

You have only 10 sets of real training, by which I mean the exercises that stimulate the largest muscles in the body such as Deadlifts and Squats.

By comparison you have more than 27 sets dedicated to the upper body.

For maximum overall development and to build a good base for your strength and development, there should be no isolation exercises for at least the first year of training. Tha means no curls, no tricep extensions, no shrugs.

Your biceps, delts, triceps and traps will get plenty of stimulation from the compound exercises. You can worry about the “shape” of these muscles once you have built a decent base level.

There should be at least 20 sets of the leg and lower back compound exercises, and there are plenty to choose from if you feel bored

Squats in their various forms
    Leg Presses
    Barbell Step-ups the bulgarian way
    Deadlifts
    Romanian Deadlifts
    High Pulls
    Glute Ham Raises (very strongly recommend these for muscle balance)

It will take you at least three or four days to recover between leg sessions if you are young, maybe longer if a bit older.

DO NOT OVERTRAIN, TRAIN SMARTER

For upper body, which can recover faster than the legs and lower back, stay with the basics for a year.

Chin Ups with weight attached or Lat Pulldowns
    Heavy Rows
    Upright Rows
    Shoulder Press
    Bench Press
    Parallel Bar Dips with weight attached

EAT HEAPS TRY TO GET SOME SLEEP

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.