Increasing Muscle Size

Home / Forums / Weight Training & Conditioning / Increasing Muscle Size

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

I want to open up a topic on this as its driving me crazy! Right now Im on the most intesnse weight training prgram Ive been on and I want to make sure I’m doing it correctly!

Personally I achieved most of my gains in the past while on a high weight hi rep program 85% loads..

I have been finding loads of stuff all over the place about maximizing muscle gain. including this by fleck and kraemer:

1RM to 3RM – neuromuscular strength
    4RM to 6RM – maximum strength by stimulating muscle hypertrophy
    6RM to 12RM – muscle size (hypertrophy) with moderate gains in strength (Fleck & Kraemer, 1996)
    12RM to 20RM – muscle size and endurance

How true is this? What are your individual experiances? Please help…even if you just post what has worked for you in the past? What about 1-3 reps and just ‘feeling the weight’ (by this I mean just doing 1-2 reps on the bench etc… does this help at all?

January 2, 2007 at 2:51 am #3749

Right now im managing 5 – 8 reps per set with 80 – 90% loads 5 sets majors and 3 sets for minor muscle groups. When it gets really heavy I stop at 5. Its only been a fortnight and i cant tell how effective it is being.

January 2, 2007 at 10:11 pm #3750

I would say those rep ranges work like that for me, although I’ve never done a specific strength program-I just mix the rep ranges up within my workouts. My strength gains have just come along with my muscle gains or vice-a-versa.

January 4, 2007 at 2:52 am #3751

@swiz wrote:

Right now im managing 5 – 8 reps per set with 80 – 90% loads 5 sets majors and 3 sets for minor muscle groups. When it gets really heavy I stop at 5. Its only been a fortnight and i cant tell how effective it is being.

In just a fortnight you probably wont see any appearance of gains, because your using reps more near the strength gain end of the scale.

I like to do a workout on a muscle group in the low rep area, and in the next workout (if I feel recovered & fit for it) I will use the 10 to 12 rep area for hypertrophy on the same muscle group. Its worked for me.

Those powerlifting guys have a real smart system worked out, its based on achieving a personal record 1 Rep Max, this tends to make increases a certainty for a bodybuilder, as a heavier weight means ultimately more muscle. They also use the repetition type workouts in the 8-12 area, and also do superfast high rep/light weight workouts.

The method of getting a 1 RM sorted out is a bit tricky unless you have a partner to help out. But it works with Deadlifts just fine.
    Basically a workout on deads uses a pyramid upward as follows;
    Say 8 reps at 50% of your estimated 1RM (to really warm up the area).
    Then 5 reps at 70%
    3 reps at 80%
    2 reps at 90%
    1 rep at 100% or 103% if you feel real good at this point.
    After that do 2 or 3 sets at around 6-10 reps, of about 65-70% until you cant move it any more.
    Finish up with any other low/mid weight mid/high rep exercises on a couple of other related muscle areas, say shrugs, calves, tri, shoulders, etc. Wunderbar you are done. DA

January 5, 2007 at 12:01 pm #3752

what is your routine like? it seems like you are killing yourself, 5 sets of 8 reps using a load that is 90% of your 1RM for majors.

January 5, 2007 at 3:01 pm #3753

With increased volume the load is decreased. More around 80% max

However I have felt at times that I am ovetraining. I am investing way too much time in training to do that, which is why I am researching vigorously. But I keep getting mixed info.

January 5, 2007 at 10:30 pm #3754

How about you post your routine and goals.

Determining rep schemes by the above guide is way too superficial. It may serve as a basic guide, but weight training parameters are largely dependant on the individual and how he responds to certain variables.

January 9, 2007 at 12:41 am #3755

Hi,

My work out is close to the below –
    I am continuously looking for new excersises to try. Right now I’m only working out free weights. I work out every second day. Every now and then when I feel I need it I take about 4 days off.

Day 1

Bent Over Bar Rows 60 -70 Kilos 5×6-9 reps
    Bent Over Dumbell Rows 26.5 Kilos 3×9-12 reps (lower Back)

Skull crushers 27 Kilos (Curl Bar) 3×8-12 reps
    Dumbell Kickbacks 15kilos 3x 8-12 reps

Day 2

Dead Lifts 80 Kilos 5×5-9 reps
    Squats 60 – 70 Kiols 3 x 10 reps
    Bisceps (Curl Bar) 27.5 Kilos 3 x 10 reps
    Bisceps (Concentrations) 3 x 10 reps +1 set 90% load.

Day 3

Dumbell Presses 32Kilos. 5 x 8 -10 reps
    Incline Dumbell bench Press 26.5 Kilos 3×10 reps
    Bent Over Reverse flys 10-12 kilos 3x 10 reps

Day 4

Bench Press 60-90 Kilos 5×10 reps

January 9, 2007 at 12:45 am #3756

My work out is pretty basic atm. Its based on the fact that I have worked out before. My chest is well developed. I have some growth in my back. My arms are a problem area for me…any suggestions on how to improve that area of my routine would be topps!

January 9, 2007 at 1:36 am #3757

the goal is bulk bulk bulk !

January 9, 2007 at 6:08 am #3758

A few suggestions at first glance.

1. Insert pull-ups and chins

2. Out with kickbacks and in with exercises such as close-grip bench pressing , dips, floor presses as well skullcrashers but with dumbbells on a decline bench(not certain on the name of the exercise).

3. Make sure you include work for the core. And not endless sets of crunches and sit-ups. But exercises such as a veriety of different planks and russian twsits. There are many more, but those are a couple.

Also don;t neglect nutrition, your bulking, so you need to consume alot of food. But that is another story.

January 10, 2007 at 11:46 am #3759

@swiz wrote:

I want to open up a topic on this as its driving me crazy! Right now Im on the most intesnse weight training prgram Ive been on and I want to make sure I’m doing it correctly!

Personally I achieved most of my gains in the past while on a high weight hi rep program 85% loads..

I have been finding loads of stuff all over the place about maximizing muscle gain. including this by fleck and kraemer:

1RM to 3RM – neuromuscular strength
    4RM to 6RM – maximum strength by stimulating muscle hypertrophy
    6RM to 12RM – muscle size (hypertrophy) with moderate gains in strength (Fleck & Kraemer, 1996)
    12RM to 20RM – muscle size and endurance

How true is this? What are your individual experiances? Please help…even if you just post what has worked for you in the past? What about 1-3 reps and just ‘feeling the weight’ (by this I mean just doing 1-2 reps on the bench etc… does this help at all?

You should apply some isometric actions, this is working wonders for me currently.

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=313iso2

January 11, 2007 at 12:00 am #3760

I must say, Ive been doing yielding isometric training without knowing it while doing scott curls for my arms. I have noticed an improvement in both strength and size! However in the past I have read that isometric training isnt very good for size, only strength – I’ll have to try as well and see how I go!

What about lowering 50 – 60% loads and training super slow per rep…like 15 seconds or longer per rep. Would this help with increasing muscle size? Think about it..

January 11, 2007 at 12:26 am #3761

after the 3rd or 4th rep u would be feeling it through the whole movement. With heavier weights i tend to start expoding during the middle couple of reps. Im just wondering what a slow movement through the whole excersise would do for size?

January 11, 2007 at 12:49 am #3762

Hmm something to research on, you would be stimulating ur type 2 fibres, by assuring a fluid motion you would be excersising a full yield of muscle..actually I dont know…you could injure very easily.. there would be a fine line between a proper set and over excertion..

You do need exposiveness in your work out though. Plyometric training (Power clns,medicine ball, push up claps etc..) combined with strength training is also known to build up muscles..perhaps not both forms of training at the same time e.g your 4-6 rep during a set… but a seperate explosive set..or a pre-warm up set

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.