I saved 400bucks

Home / Forums / All the Goss / I saved 400bucks

• This topic is empty.
  • Author

I have an adjustable bench, and lately been trying to get into decline benching as one of my alternatives for DC training. Problem was, I kept sliding off the bench whenever I went to decline (the weight would pull me down) and had no leg bracing to lock my legs into. A problem like this, would really piss me off, as nothing annoys me more, then getting screwed up during the only set I have to get bigger and stronger, and then having to wait another week and a halves cycle to jump back on it… more time wasted grr

I searched around the net for benches with the leg lock in thingies and all were around the 300 – 500 dollar mark. So I went back to my bench to figure something out. I slotted on the leg extension mechanism, but found It wouldnt work, as when i locked my legs into it, the mechanism would freely move up and down, not good to hold me on. So I just chained the mechanism back so when i locked my legs into it, it wouldnt move (like loading up lots of weight on it that i couldnt lift, but this would be too much effort)

Now I can lie in decline mode, with my legs locked in not moving and bench with piece of mind.

PS: I’m going to leave my ego on the keyboard, and go as wide as i possibly can on decline (going to have to use less weight), and see if it has an results for the pecs in 6months time. *fingers crossed*

December 13, 2008 at 7:56 am #7510

Thats great. But I really don’t think declines are great for pec development personally, not with a bar anyway. Try them with dumbells, much better.

December 13, 2008 at 8:07 am #7511

What would they do besides abit of tris and shoulders like regular benching?

December 13, 2008 at 10:12 am #7512

Me personally, well I get a wicked pump in my traps. I can isolate pecs only if I focus on that muscle and really squeeze it at the top. I find it much easier to isolate with dumbells. I can decline extremely heavy weight with a bar up to 140kgs depends on the day obviously.

Decline is meant to target the lower pectoral muscle and is also used as an assistant exercise for flat bench as it works your front deltoid so well.

December 13, 2008 at 10:04 pm #7513

Without a spotter the decline barbell press is probably the most dangerous excercise there is! I think there is a lot of tricep involvement and when the tris give they just shut down. Scary stuff if you’ve ever experienced it.

Having said that I love decline flys. They get round the problems Kinmassive mentions.

December 18, 2008 at 8:39 pm #7514

What about weighted dips with a slight lean to the front? Kinesthetically the two have much in common.

December 19, 2008 at 5:50 am #7515

@Dave996 wrote:

What about weighted dips with a slight lean to the front? Kinesthetically the two have much in common.

maybe, but I’m going as wide as I can before my hands hit the pins. Strangely enough, I haven’t had much feeling in my shoulders or tris as I do them after and found my shoulder press and tri exercises all went up after.

I guess we’ll see how they go as the weight goes up for declining.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.