I Need help with my diet!!

Home / Forums / Diet and Nutrition / I Need help with my diet!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Hi all,

A bit about me: i’m 24yrs old, 164cm and currently weight a touch over 60kg. I’ve been training for a solid 6months now and eating properly only for the last 2months.

My goals are to add slight increases to my lean muscle mass with whilst losing excess fat (would like to be in the low 10’s for summer). I don’t know my exact BMI but I can see 4 of my top abs – if that gives you any insight of what I am :p?
    Oh I forgot to mention: Over the last 6months I have not lost any weight on the scales (but gained 1kg – now 61kg) but I looked much more ripped 😉

I need help with my diet. My diet of late is as follows:

7:00 am
    – 3 x nitrix tabs
    – 3 x fish oil caps
    – Protein shake

10:00 am
    – 1/2 cup dried fruit
    – 1/2 cup almonds & seeds
    – 3 x nitrix tabs
    – 3 x fish oil caps

12:00 pm
    – 1 cup white rice
    – 500g cooked chicken breast
    – 1/2 avocado
    – mixed vegies

3:00 pm
    – 1/2 cup dried fruit
    – 1/2 cup mixed nuts & seeds
    – banana
    – 3 x nitrix tabs

5:45 pm
    – protein shake (no carbs)

6:30 – 7:45 pm
    – Gym session followed by 30mins cardio
    – Protein shake (no carbs) directly after w/out
    – 3 x BCAA capsules
    – 3 x fish oil caps

9:00 pm
    – 500g Chicken breast
    – Green salad (olives, tomato, spinach etc)

A normal gym routine for me includes:
    Mon: chest/tri’s – followed by 20mins stationary bike & ab work
    Tues: back/bi’s – 10 mins bike, 20mins walk/jog/run
    Wed: Rest
    Thurs: Shoulders – 30mins cardio & 10mins abs
    Friday: Legs – 30mins cardio

I am unsure how good the dried fruits are… and apparantely these are a simple carbohydrate and should not be included in a cutting diet..?
    This is new to me cos I alway’s believed that fruit was a crucial part to the diet 😕

Should I be including a form of carbs in my post protein shake? even if I am more focused on weight loss?

Help on my diet (to help me to achieve my goals) would be great!!
    Thanks guys

P.s. this is my first post… i’ve been reading through this forum for a while now and I love it!

November 24, 2008 at 6:30 am #7347

Before I add anything are you male or female? 61kg is very light for a male.

P.S – lay off the Nitrix be you male or female.

November 24, 2008 at 9:47 am #7348

Your diet is very high in protein. I made a few assumptions and came out at about 420g of protein which is well over 6 grams per kg bodyweight. You really only need 2 or 3. Most of that comes from two meals as well. I’d suggest spreading it out a bit more evenly. Four smaller meat meals and less shakes. Total protein intake back to 180 grams. Make up some of the difference in calories with more fish oil or virgin olive oil.

Dried fruit will be high in cals and carbs. Eat fresh fruit, it will be just as good with less of everything that you don’t want.

Throw away the BCAA caps and get powder. It will be less that half the price and you can take a bigger serve. You want 10g or so after the workout.

Most will say to put carbs in your PWO shake. I’d certainly recommend it in your case because your metabolism seems high and I don’t think you’ll get fat from the extra cals. (especially if you drop the protein a bit)

Have the banana at meal 1 rather than 3 pm. Carbs in the am help to stop catabolism from the overnight fast.

I wouldn’t say that your diet is great but you are eating the right things. You just need to play around with the amounts and the timing in my opinion.

November 24, 2008 at 10:08 pm #7349

@Bull wrote:

Your diet is very high in protein. I made a few assumptions and came out at about 420g of protein which is well over 6 grams per kg bodyweight. You really only need 2 or 3. Most of that comes from two meals as well. I’d suggest spreading it out a bit more evenly. Four smaller meat meals and less shakes. Total protein intake back to 180 grams. Make up some of the difference in calories with more fish oil or virgin olive oil.

Dried fruit will be high in cals and carbs. Eat fresh fruit, it will be just as good with less of everything that you don’t want.

Throw away the BCAA caps and get powder. It will be less that half the price and you can take a bigger serve. You want 10g or so after the workout.

Most will say to put carbs in your PWO shake. I’d certainly recommend it in your case because your metabolism seems high and I don’t think you’ll get fat from the extra cals. (especially if you drop the protein a bit)

Have the banana at meal 1 rather than 3 pm. Carbs in the am help to stop catabolism from the overnight fast.

I wouldn’t say that your diet is great but you are eating the right things. You just need to play around with the amounts and the timing in my opinion.

where do u get 420g of protein from?

November 24, 2008 at 10:14 pm #7350

Sorry I forgot to mention that I’m a male.

So is Nitrix no good? I can stop taking them when I run out.. I’ve had them since I was last training over a year ago. But can you explain if they are doing more harm then good?

Is 61kg really light even though I’m only 164cm? I wasn’t aiming for too much more muscle tbh.. 65kg max with 10%bf is what i’m aiming for. The reason being I like the athletic look.. i’ve seen alot of shorter guys carrying a lot of muscle and it makes them look even shorter.

Thanks Bull.. I had no idea my diet was so high in protein as I have never counted my calories. But I guess your right, if all I need is 180gms of protein daily. B/c i’ve got a big appetite, I figured I may aswell eat more chicken to keep me satisfied. But i’ll try and cut down on the chicken and lose the pre w/out protein shake from now on. I’ll also include the banana in the morning and cut down on my daily snack of dried fruit.

I bought the BCAA’s capsules last week instead of the powder for PWO since my p/wout shake already has a good mix of BCAA powder in it.

Can anyone explain why I haven’t really lost any weight since starting my training again 6months ago? I’m guessing that i’m compensating for fat loss by adding more muscle so it kinda averaged itself out 😕 – hence why i’ve gained only 1kg but look more defined. Or could it be that my daily calorie count is too high? 😕

November 24, 2008 at 11:15 pm #7351

If I were you I would aim for 70kg with a slightly lower body fat and then you would not be too muscular but at a healthy weight range with a good amount of muscle.

Jimmy, Bull got the protein amounts for 1kg of chicken per day and all those shakes. It was an estimate but I would agree that it would be around that area maybe a bit less but extremely high none the less.

November 25, 2008 at 11:22 am #7352

Jimmy, The kilo of chicken is about 300 and I just guessed about 30g per shake and 15g for the nuts.

Gym Junkie, Just be a bit careful when you change things around or you might start losing weight quickly. Your metabolism seems quite high and I think you will have to maintain your calories.

Your theory about the weight gain is spot on and that extra muscle will increase your metabolism and help you get to the 10%.

November 26, 2008 at 1:25 am #7353

@Bull wrote:

Jimmy, The kilo of chicken is about 300 and I just guessed about 30g per shake and 15g for the nuts.

Gym Junkie, Just be a bit careful when you change things around or you might start losing weight quickly. Your metabolism seems quite high and I think you will have to maintain your calories.

Your theory about the weight gain is spot on and that extra muscle will increase your metabolism and help you get to the 10%.

ok fair enough. but it would be a lil less than that.split that chicken into 4 meals big guy and thats a good start

November 26, 2008 at 1:29 am #7354

@Gym_junkie wrote:

Sorry I forgot to mention that I’m a male.

HI MAN 🙂

So is Nitrix no good? I can stop taking them when I run out.. I’ve had them since I was last training over a year ago. But can you explain if they are doing more harm then good?

USE NITRIX BUT THERE IS MORE IMPORTANT FOR YOU TO HAVE MORE ESSENTIAL SUPPS.

Is 61kg really light even though I’m only 164cm? I wasn’t aiming for too much more muscle tbh.. 65kg max with 10%bf is what i’m aiming for. The reason being I like the athletic look.. i’ve seen alot of shorter guys carrying a lot of muscle and it makes them look even shorter.

61KGS IS LIUGHT. PERIOD. IM 168CM AT ABOUT 96KG. LEAN TOO 🙂 🙂 YOU WANNA BE AT LEAT 75. ULL LOOK ATHLETIC THEN

Thanks Bull.. I had no idea my diet was so high in protein as I have never counted my calories. But I guess your right, if all I need is 180gms of protein daily. B/c i’ve got a big appetite, I figured I may aswell eat more chicken to keep me satisfied. But i’ll try and cut down on the chicken and lose the pre w/out protein shake from now on. I’ll also include the banana in the morning and cut down on my daily snack of dried fruit.

MAKE SURE U ARE EATING 6 TO 8 MEALS A DAY OR SHAKES AND HAVE MINIMUM 30G OF PROTEIN PER MEAL. IF U HAVE MORE WHO CARES. ADD YOUR DRY FRUIT TO A PROTEIN SHAKE FOR MORNING TEA AND THOSE NUTS. PERFECT MEAL.

I bought the BCAA’s capsules last week instead of the powder for PWO since my p/wout shake already has a good mix of BCAA powder in it.

ESSESNTIAL SUPPS!

Can anyone explain why I haven’t really lost any weight since starting my training again 6months ago? I’m guessing that i’m compensating for fat loss by adding more muscle so it kinda averaged itself out 😕 – hence why i’ve gained only 1kg but look more defined. Or could it be that my daily calorie count is too high? 😕

MUSCLE WEIGHS MORE THAN FAT.

November 26, 2008 at 5:47 am #7355

6-8 meals a day is a preference, not essential. As long as you get the right calories in the right breakdown, it wouldn’t matter if you got them in 3-4 meals.

November 26, 2008 at 6:14 am #7356

I think 6 – 8 meals is preferred as it ensures your metabolism is always working

November 26, 2008 at 8:38 am #7357

more meals is just optimizing

November 26, 2008 at 10:23 am #7358

@Gym_junkie wrote:

I think 6 – 8 meals is preferred as it ensures your metabolism is always working

That is pure “bro” science. This is from Lyle McDonald’s blog:

Meal Frequency and Energy Balance – Research Review
    Introduction
    I read a tremendous number of research papers each week in order to keep up with the rapidly changing field of nutrition, physiology, and all topics related to body recomposition. From time to time, I like to review research papers that I think are interesting to my readers; while these are usually new papers, sometimes, I also go back to older papers that happen to be relevant or important. This week’s paper is one of those older papers that addresses one of the longer-standing myths in the field of weight loss, that of meal frequency.

Title
    Bellisle F et. al. Meal frequency and energy balance. Br J Nutr. (1997) 77 (Suppl 1):S57-70.

Abstract
    Several epidemiological studies have observed an inverse relationship between people’s habitual frequency of eating and body weight, leading to the suggestion that a ‘nibbling’ meal pattern may help in the avoidance of obesity. A review of all pertinent studies shows that, although many fail to find any significant relationship, the relationship is consistently inverse in those that do observe a relationship.

However, this finding is highly vulnerable to the probable confounding effects of post hoc changes in dietary patterns as a consequence of weight gain and to dietary under-reporting which undoubtedly invalidates some of the studies

We conclude that the epidemiological evidence is at best very weak, and almost certainly represents an artefact. A detailed review of the possible mechanistic explanations for a metabolic advantage of nibbling meal patterns failed to reveal significant benefits in respect of energy expenditure.

Although some short-term studies suggest that the thermic effect of feeding is higher when an isoenergetic test load is divided into multiple small meals, other studies refute this, and most are neutral. More importantly, studies using whole-body calorimetry and doubly-labelled water to assess total 24 h energy expenditure find no difference between nibbling and gorging. Finally, with the exception of a single study, there is no evidence that weight loss on hypoenergetic regimens is altered by meal frequency. We conclude that any effects of meal pattern on the regulation of body weight are likely to be mediated through effects on the food intake side of the energy balance equation.

My comments
    Perhaps one of the longest standing dogmas in the weight loss and bodybuilding world is the absolute necessity of eating frequently for various reasons. Specific to weight loss, how many times have you heard something along the lines of “Eating 6 times per day stokes the metabolic fire.â€Â

November 27, 2008 at 3:01 am #7359

Wow – what impressive cut and paste skills you have. I also liked your layne norton ‘bro science’ reference………….

While i agree 8 meals is going overboard, 6 is optimal.

It ensures easier digestion and assimilation of nutrients (as opposed to cramming 60g+ pro plus 100g cho in one sitting 2-3 times a day)

It helps facilitate steadier blood glucose levels.

Those two reasons are good enough for me to keep my meals spaced out evenly.

November 27, 2008 at 6:26 am #7360

@bodytek wrote:

Wow – what impressive cut and paste skills you have. I also liked your layne norton ‘bro science’ reference………….

While i agree 8 meals is going overboard, 6 is optimal.

It ensures easier digestion and assimilation of nutrients (as opposed to cramming 60g+ pro plus 100g cho in one sitting 2-3 times a day)

It helps facilitate steadier blood glucose levels.

Those two reasons are good enough for me to keep my meals spaced out evenly.

I though it would be more appropriate to cut and paste an article from an expert than to paraphrase it – is that a problem for you?

And using the term “bro science” that I happen to think highly appropriate, does that bother you?

If so, grab some tissues princess.

As for your statement that “6 is optimal”, I believe the theme of this thread is regarding weight gain / loss. Are you trying to say that 6 meals is better for either weight gain or weight loss? This would be another example of “bro science.”

If you read the above article, the message is clear – eat your calories using whatever method assists you to achieve your goal. There is no optimum however, only optimum for you.

BGL’s are a different issue to weight gain / loss.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.