HST Training

• This topic is empty.
  • Author

Hey,

I am a 29yo male and have been training since about march this year and i am trying to put together a HST Training program for myself.

I have access to a pretty basic UNI gym at lunchtimes and my even more basic gym at home (Squat rack, Bench, Incline bench, Dumbells, Barbells, Tricep bar, ezibar)

I read this article —> http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ridgely1.htm
    and have decided to give HST a crack…

Here is what im thinking:

Weeks 1-2 15×1
    Weeks 3-4 10×3
    Weeks 5-6 5×5
    Weeks 7-8 4×5
    Weeks 9-10 SD

Work out 1:
    – Squat
    – Flat Bench Press
    – Standing Shoulder Press
    – Dips
    – Shrugs

Work out 2:
    – Deadlift
    – One Arm rows
    – Bar Bell Curls
    – Crunches

I plan on doing these workouts 3 times a week each.

If anyone has any ideas and advice on how i should tackle HST Training (or if i should at all) i would appreciate it.

Cheers,

Mick V

November 8, 2007 at 12:24 pm #5498

IMO you might be better off doing this only twice a week (4days training)

if not, then all i can say is… have fun deadlifting 3 times aweek 😯

November 8, 2007 at 8:45 pm #5499

@unbuff wrote:

have fun deadlifting 3 times aweek 😯

Good point.

I have never quite got my head around the old HST type stuff. 1 set! I just wonder how that can be of any help at all? When you start hittin the other weeks then you are basically doin a 5 x 5 which i have found great for strength and motivation. So if those are the things you are chasing then i would reccomend you give it a shot. πŸ˜‰

November 9, 2007 at 1:47 pm #5500

@kinmassive wrote:

@unbuff wrote:

Good point.

I have never quite got my head around the old HST type stuff. 1 set! I just wonder how that can be of any help at all? When you start hittin the other weeks then you are basically doin a 5 x 5 which i have found great for strength and motivation. So if those are the things you are chasing then i would reccomend you give it a shot. πŸ˜‰

only for 1 week is he doing 1 set. (running in?)

but yet, i still stand by 2 workouts MAX. Unless ur some sort of recovery beast on juice.

*edit* PS: I did one set training for atleast… 24 weeks (more id assume) and it did not make me bigger!! Stronger yes…

I even ate more then usual while gaining the strength, and all that happened was i gained alittle more around the stomach, not cool.

November 9, 2007 at 9:48 pm #5501

Thanks guys,

I have modified my program to only do deadlifts twice a week and have decided to start with 2×15 rather than 1×15.

Cheers, Mick V

November 9, 2007 at 10:58 pm #5502

Go to the source at http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com

Your plan doesn’t look anything like the real HST.

Pick a plan as is from the site and give it a go. It’s important to be pretty accurate with what your 15rm or 10rm or whatever is.

I think this is were most get HST all wrong. If your 10 RM max for squat or deadlift or whatever is 100kg, you’ll be starting on something like 50-60kg.

Of course you can do this every second day. Lots of people do, it’s called manual labor.

Once you get close the the serious weights you’ve only got a couple of workouts and then the intensity drops when you move into the next rep range.

J

November 9, 2007 at 11:07 pm #5503

@kinmassive wrote:

@unbuff wrote:

Good point.

5 x 5?? Five by five is great but was never part of HST as I remember it.

Also hard to do HST properly without a training partner when you get to the eccentric stage. I can remember trying to explain what I wanted to some random spotter at the gym a couple of years ago.

He just couldn’t get his head around taking all the weight up on the concentric rep.

J

November 11, 2007 at 2:07 am #5504

Thanks for the info Dr J.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.