high reps while cutting

Home / Forums / Weight Training & Conditioning / high reps while cutting

• This topic is empty.
  • Author

hello.
    just curios to know (sorry if sound dumb) where would anaerobic stop and aerobic start in regards to high rep training to lose fat?
    obviously evry1s different but is there a general rule there?

August 16, 2006 at 11:27 pm #2954

Muscle TV had a program on last year in relation to this exact question. It basically stated that the best cardio a weight lifter can do is with weights, surprisingly enough 😆 Anyway the program revolved around a type of cicuit training where you chose your stations and rep out a moderate weight to what suits you.

I’ve tried it and I agree nothing gets the heart racing and the sweat flowing like this type of training. And before I hear you all scream CATABOLIC…isn’t all cardio somewhat catabolic 😉 Try it and see for yourself.

August 16, 2006 at 11:54 pm #2955

There’s probably a number of ways to skin this cat.

I like sticking heavy with low reps and cutting back the rest interval. Mind you I’ve also done hundred rep sets.

August 17, 2006 at 5:21 am #2956

Cardio itself does have specific areas that can be targeted for fat loss. Heres a quote from Francesco Casillo, “Aerobic means that all the energy needed to sustain that kind of physical effort comes from oxidative processes. When you exercise you are increasing the need of oxygen intake to your muscles, so that your heart will pump faster in order to carry more blood (blood transports oxygen) to the muscular area exercised. But when the heart pumps faster than the rhythm of the lungs this condition cannot be satisfied.

In order to satisfy that condition, the heart and lungs have to work at the same rhythm so that all the oxygen taken from the atmospheric air by the lungs can be pumped by the heart to the peripheral areas. In order to promote those requirements, aerobic activities have to be led in a limited heart rate zone.

The ideal heart rate zone favorable to promote fat loss ranges around 65-70% of maximum heart rate.”

I would rate that without a constant eye on this heart rate level it would be difficult to know if you were in or out of it! The answer is one of those wrist watch heart rate monitors. You can almost continuously maintain a 65-70% HR with one of those. But doing weight training, even if it was “supposed” to be at a cardio rate, would just make it to complicated.
    I would stick with an elliptical trainer myself.

In fact I recently tried out Casillo’s http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/casi1.htm training schedule for his 10 week period. Starting at around 13-14% I went down to just under 8%, and I didnt even stick to his table of events. In fact toward the end of the 10 weeks I was only doing just over half his recommendations. Mostly I couldnt keep to the schedule because of being to tired from work, workouts, and the cardio.

But I think you would agree the results were good. I can see nearly all levels of my six pack except the bottom set. DA

August 20, 2006 at 6:02 am #2957

thanks.
    would yous reckon a full body 1 hour session twice a week, or multiple sessions without full body?
    ill also be doing treadmill 4-5 times a week.

September 5, 2006 at 2:50 am #2958

I must admit i did a full body type workout whilst low-calorie and it worked quite well, keep it heavy and short and use as many multi joint exercises as poss.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.