High rep Training

• This topic is empty.
  • Author

G’day Fellas

What is everyones opinion of high rep bodybuilding training.

The past few years ive switched over to training with higher reps 15-20. I always use to do 4-6 max-ot style.

Ive noticed with higher rep training my arms grow quite well but my back and chest respond much better with heavy weight low reps.

Many large bodybuilders at my local gym all use low weight high reps. then i see all the people training heavy and they are half the size of the big boys doing the higher reps with the lower weight.

So has anyone had success with higher rep lower weight training.

June 5, 2009 at 6:24 am #8317

Thanks to DC training, High rep training, including widow makers taught me what intensity was and how far I could push myself through the pain barrier.

I honestly don’t know what reps my body responds to best, in terms of adding muscle.

If I still haven’t added much size with bill starrs 5×5 by Jan 1st, I will try HST. (which is higher reps)

June 5, 2009 at 10:13 am #8318

I’m not convinced that rep numbers are that important. You have to stimulate and fatigue the muscle and different muscles react in different ways.

I think large muscle groups respond well to strength type, low rep training primarily because they have to. There is no alternative muscle as the prime mover. Small muscle groups however, always have assistance from somewhere else so they will respond to a strict style of training.

June 6, 2009 at 7:51 am #8319

I have varied over the years and I now mix it up.

As a rule of thumb each year should be split into different categories of training i.e
    2-3 months of high rep training to begin hypertrophy
    2-3 months of mid range rep work to build strength
    2-3 months of low rep training to develop power.

Then by the time you are back to square one you have grown and gotten stronger so your high rep months will be with heavier weights and so on and so on.

So you need to set up your programs at the start of each year with focus points on each period of training. I used this exact type of system two years running and I am kickin arse!

Although recently, particularly when it comes time for a show I mix it right up. I will do high reps and low reps focusing on gaining a little more muscle mass and a lot of explosiveness.

So with that being said you will need to work out what you are going for first.

June 6, 2009 at 11:53 am #8320

KM thats a damn good idea, im going to look into that and set something up.

June 6, 2009 at 12:22 pm #8321

That’s the general principle behind periodised workouts. There is a lot more to it than what Km stated and it should not be so clear cut but merged together. Read some books by bompa to get a greater understanding of it.P

June 6, 2009 at 11:12 pm #8322

@unbuff wrote:

KM thats a damn good idea, im going to look into that and set something up.

I will send you a basic outline of what got me started mate.

June 9, 2009 at 5:59 am #8323

@kinmassive wrote:

I have varied over the years and I now mix it up.

As a rule of thumb each year should be split into different categories of training i.e
    2-3 months of high rep training to begin hypertrophy
    2-3 months of mid range rep work to build strength
    2-3 months of low rep training to develop power.

Then by the time you are back to square one you have grown and gotten stronger so your high rep months will be with heavier weights and so on and so on.

So you need to set up your programs at the start of each year with focus points on each period of training. I used this exact type of system two years running and I am kickin arse!

Although recently, particularly when it comes time for a show I mix it right up. I will do high reps and low reps focusing on gaining a little more muscle mass and a lot of explosiveness.

So with that being said you will need to work out what you are going for first.

Great advice

My goal is hypertrophy. I have no interest in strength or power i just want large muscles. Now im not saying i can grow on piss light weights as i know most of the time u need to lift heavy ass weights to get hypertrophy.

But im more of a all show no go kind a guy.so anything program strength related does not interest me.

plus heavy lifting has always given me colds within 1-2 weeks.

June 9, 2009 at 8:30 am #8324

Hypertrophy specific training will eventually stop working for u, if your going at this naturally.

June 10, 2009 at 9:01 am #8325

Regardless of whether you want to do strength specific training or not…you have to. That cycle of three is how it works to a degree. You lift for time then you get stronger and you have to lift more to get the muscle to grow further or you are not adding any resistance at all to it, catch my drift?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.