help with training

Home / Forums / Weight Training & Conditioning / help with training

• This topic is empty.
  • Author

hey guys, i think this is the first time ive posted here, but have been reading for a while and also buying.
    well, i got a quick question in regards to my training.
    i recently changed from doing 3 sets with 7-9 reps to a much heavier weight and now do 2-3 sets upto max 6reps(4-6).
    it feels great, however i dont get as much pain as i used to and so it feels as though im recovering real quick or not doing something right.
    what are peoples thoughts on this?
    ps.ive increased weight quite a bit, to the point where im barely hitting 6 reps, so its not just a case of not using a heavy enough weight.
    thanks

August 13, 2006 at 8:39 am #2928

i had the same thing hey, didnt feel any kind of burn doing low reps even when going to failure and doing up to 6 sets…

thats more of a powerlifters workout and will promote more strength gains then size gains; i cant explain why theres no pain doing low reps, maybe cause your having longer rest, 3-5 mins? this would make build up of lactate and other such things less extreme, maybe affecting amount of feeling in the muscle?

but yeah if your making gains with it you kow its working… thats the most important thing as for rest im pretty sure its same as for higher rep training, but it depends on how many sets you do, how much sleep and food you get etc etc…

hopefully someone with more idea can help you…

August 13, 2006 at 9:51 pm #2929

Try shorter rest periods and more sets. You could stick with your current weights and progressively reduce the rest period while adding sets to keep total workout time the same.

Or just jump in at a 60s rest period and live with lower reps.

Also when you’re done with a body part pick a weight that you can do 20-25 reps with to finish off.

J

August 14, 2006 at 12:29 pm #2930

cool.thanks.
    yeah gilbey, im restin about 2-3min between sets.the downside is it takes ages to finish workout.
    thanks dr j.well i used to super set, i might try again.

August 15, 2006 at 6:43 am #2931

@shmick wrote:

cool.thanks.
    yeah gilbey, im restin about 2-3min between sets.the downside is it takes ages to finish workout.
    thanks dr j.well i used to super set, i might try again.

2-3mins is too long, you lose intensity.

Drop sets at the end of a set are good for intensity, especially if your in that low rep range. Try 3drop sets after your 3 normal workoutsets, For Bi’s, tris, chest and shoulders, but space them out.

August 27, 2006 at 5:13 am #2932

yeah drop sets are my favourite, maybe try putting a bigger weight than you can lift and have a spotter lift you up for the concentric (positive) and you lower the negative as slowly as possibly, now that hurts… especially after a normal working set to failure…(dont try this without a spotter :))

i think a drop set will increase pain factor no matter how low your rep range is…

super sets are good too, something like bench press super setted with chest flys should get a good deep burn in the pectoralis major region… its so deep…

in the end though i think the idea behind low rep training is not so much the pain factor but just pushing big weights to increase your power, increasing flow of lactate in the muscle is not need for strength gains but is good for size and with low reps it just doesnt happen as much… (is this correct)

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.