Help with exercises to Tone/shrink Chunky thighs

Home / Forums / Weight Training & Conditioning / Help with exercises to Tone/shrink Chunky thighs

• This topic is empty.
  • Author

Hi Guys,

I’ve been a forum user for a while and lately i’ve run into a problem.

I’m of Chinese descent as background with waist size 31 but what i’ve got a problem with is my thighs – they are just too chunky. I don’t do any leg work outs currently as i want me legs to shrink, however i do massive amounts of treadmill – x trainner.

Daily i spend 35 mins on a x trainner for cardio ? Is that affecting my thighs as in making them larger.

My current diet is

8:30 AM – Up and Go Breakfast Popper ~200mLs

10 AM piece of fruit – Banana

~ 12 AM – Museli bar

1pm – 1 small can of Tuna + 4 rice cakes

4Pm – Apricot slice museli bar

8 pm – GYM workout

10 PM finish gym get home 1 scoop WPI protien shake with 1/2 teaspoon of L-Glutamine.

Any advice to get my thighs smaller would be greatly Appreciated.

Cheers

Lago!

September 5, 2008 at 6:07 am #6879

Well mate, not to make you start doubting yourself, but legs are about the last to show effects from cardio, diets, workouts.

Growing real muscle can make them look better as they take on the classic muscle shapes of bodybuilders legs, even with a bit of fat. That said, you would need to start doing squats, deadlifts and be pretty mean with yourself (go hard at it) to get the kind of look that would work.

You might start with finding out your body fat ratio to the amount of muscle, this may alter your direction to more diet control + some cardio.

Most peoples diets flap in the wind, as they never really got down to even a few weeks calorie counting, nor any adjustments to the diet from what is calculated. You say you have a 31 size waist, that sounds nice & slim, so it may be you need to study up on the food you eat as far as macronutrients is concerned (carbs, proteins & fats). Adjusting the amount of each is called fine tuning and this may be where you are at.

So give us some further feedback on your current bodyfat? to start with. DA

September 6, 2008 at 11:25 am #6880

Crikey. You don’t eat much. I have no idea how you get through the day.

On the subject of legs, I think you may just be lucky or unlucky as the case may be. A lot of Asian people have great genetics for muscle development and in my opinion often their limbs are the strongest aspect of their physique.

What are your goals. I’m guessing that you don’t want to look like a bodybuilder or you’d be happy about your legs and try to bring the rest of your physique up to match them.

The naturally strong areas of your physique will be the last to suffer when you try to starve them. Which is what you seem to be doing, whether you mean to or not.

I expect that if you ate better and trained then you would quickly become muscular and could be lean and toned and solid. However if that is not what you want then I think you will be fighting against nature.

September 7, 2008 at 12:03 am #6881

If what you’re doing now is not moving you towards your goal, stop doing it!

Ie. Eat more, as Bull suggests, and drop the endless cardio.

For legs try doing just one or two tri-sets per week. For example, 6-8 squats, 8-12 leg press and up to 25 leg extenions or walking lunges. No rest in between sets. If done right you’ll end up with the most incredible lactic acid burn. The important thing is not what this type of training does or does not do but that it’s totally different from what you’re doing now. Use a tape measure to gauge progress.

Then devote the rest of you training time to the body parts you need to bring up.

September 8, 2008 at 3:28 am #6882

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the responses, I’m wondering from what DA said what is a good way to measure fat ? from what i’ve tried at the gym there is a device which you grab both hands shoulder width apart and it measures fat. That machine measured about 12 % where as i tried another scale which you stand on and it sends electric though you or something and that measured 23%. Big difference. My main aim was to tone up my core abdominal muscle group which in time seems to be going well. Its just that the more i eat the bigger i get fast leg wise. In my case would doing the cardio x trainner be actually increasing the mass in my legs?

September 8, 2008 at 11:41 pm #6883

You can buy a set of calipers cheaply.

http://www.myopure.com.au/body-fat-calipers.html

There is a number of points on the body targetted to get a measure of, then a calculation is done & it produces the body fat percentage. the site you needfor the calculators is at;

http://www.rustyiron.net/formmale.htm

The site is very informative & can answer any answers you have. DA

P.S It sounds like you are the body type as described by Bull.

September 10, 2008 at 12:05 am #6884

Hi Bull,

Thanks for your information, i’ll be grabbing a body fat caliper off myopure some time today.

I just wanted provide some further background. My main goal is to look RIPPEEEDDDDDD and i mean ripped. Obviously i want some decent amound of mass but not look like an Mr Chinese Arnie. Currently i’ve got this gut that has improved dramatically from the mountain loads of cardio that i’ve done. Avg 35 Mins a day 5 days a week. On level 10 – 15 X trainner.

But in addition to that i’ve been doing

Chest Day

Medium to high load ( I feel the lactic burn like crazy)
    dumb bell bench presses x 4 sets of 12
    overhead and under flys. x4 sets of 12
    Isolated Chest Flys x 3 sets of 10- 12

Shoulder Day

Isolated Shoulder press x 3 sets of 13-15 ( Medium – high intensity )
    Isolated rear shoulder raises x 3 sets of 10 Heavy Load ( I feel max shoulder lactic acid pain)
    Reverse Flys x 3 sets of 10 medium ( i usually do this last as my shoulders feel heavy at this time )

Back Day

Row x 3 sets of 10 (high load)
    Iso lat Pulldowns x3 sets 10( high load)
    high row x 3 sets of 10 ( high load )

Every session i do
    Abdominal Crunches x 3 sets of 20
    Oblique crunches x 3 sets of 20
    Leg raises x 3 sets of 20

I feel the benefits so far, but from this is there any way i can improve the gain. My main aim i by summer is to loose the tummy 😳 and increase my shoulder/lateral/chest development === > Big upper as my legs are too big.

Edit : I forgot to add i’m 73 KG and 168 cm Tall
    Edit : Calipers have been ordered. 😆

September 12, 2008 at 2:53 am #6885

@Derek Amos wrote:

Hi DA,

The Calipers just arrived today thanks to Myopure : )

Anyhow i think i’m doing it right, my current bodyfat is between 11.6 and 13.6% so i’m thinking of 12%

Cheers

Lago

September 12, 2008 at 6:24 am #6886

Lets see these big stompers that are too chunky and big.

September 12, 2008 at 7:05 am #6887

If you get chaffed easily due to rubbing and have big thighs and small hips then your have a problem… If you dont it just means you need some back and shoulder mass to make you look wider and in proportion.

September 12, 2008 at 11:29 pm #6888

@Lagoramus wrote:

@Derek Amos wrote:

Hi DA,
    The Calipers just arrived today thanks to Myopure : )
    Anyhow i think i’m doing it right, my current bodyfat is between 11.6 and 13.6% so i’m thinking of 12%
    Cheers
    Lago

Thats a great number to start with, at least your not nearer 20%. At this stage you have been making quite a bit of effort already. To get below the 10% area, should be your next (within range) aim. As youve done a ton of cardio related exercise already, and got results that brought you to this position.

You need to change things to go further, So take your pick, from altering your current diet? altering the type of cardio? taking on other exercise methods like workouts? Or alter the lot at once? DA

September 15, 2008 at 12:31 pm #6889

Thanks a million for your feed back guys,

i’ve altered my type of cardio and i’m picking up pilates for flexibility im finding i cant reach my back anymore.

Any suggestions on my diet itself ? more chicken ? more protiens ? i’m kind of concerned about the hormone levels in the chickens these days.

Also UB as soon as i get my hands on a camera i’ll post some pics : /

Dave hrmm they do kinda chaff a bit but it doesnt bother me

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.