Help with Chin ups

Home / Forums / Weight Training & Conditioning / Help with Chin ups

• This topic is empty.
  • Author

Hi everyone , i am new to this site . At 29yo i have just started trying to get fit again, taking up martial arts again and starting weight training .
    I did a bit of weights in my late teens early tweentys but have done little over the past 6-7 years .
    I do all my weight training at home with a small home gym. Been going at it 6 months and things are going ok.
    The area i struggle to get better at is with chins ups . I dont have any cable weights and just use a straight bar in my garage to do chin ups, with a baby coming later this year i cant afford to go a gym.
    For the 1 st few months i had a mate coming over spoting for me,which helped me go from not being able to do any to getting out 1 set of 3 reps ,still sad.
    Due to now working shift work i dont get a chance to work out with my mate . I was wondering what can i do to help imrpove my chin ups with out having a spotter .
    Will doing negitive sets help ?? I have started useing a old milk crate to push up of on the positive part of the chin up then hold it a sec and lower myself down. Could doing this help me get stronger in the positve part of the chin up ?

Any help most appreciated .

Troy

June 12, 2007 at 10:27 am #4464

Get some resistance bands, loop them over the bar and then stand or kneel in them for an assisted pull up.

Unfortunately Myopure doesn’t carry them any more but I’m sure you can adapt the physio type or the Nike ones you can get at Rebel Sports.

Otherwise do singles (say 10 to start) and progressively reduce the rest between each untill you’re doing a set of 10.

Throw negatives in occasionally

June 12, 2007 at 11:28 am #4465

Put a chair under your feet and spot yourself by pushing up with your legs just enough to complete rep, eventually you will get stronger and can remove chair..
    Cheers

June 13, 2007 at 12:40 am #4466

@StormTrooper wrote:

Put a chair under your feet and spot yourself by pushing up with your legs just enough to complete rep, eventually you will get stronger and can remove chair..
    Cheers

as storm trooper said use an underhand grip to focus more on your bicep.

basically your just doing a “negative” take 8-10secs to lower yourself.

when it gets easy, get a weighted belt and add on a few kilos and keep going.

June 13, 2007 at 5:53 am #4467

Alternatively in a barbell rack, do fat boy pullups, see
    http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=04-115-training
    look way down the page for the picture. I prefer to do them hanging but bent at the hips, and still with my feet up on the bench. added weight can be a dumbell in your lap, or even a single plate. DA

June 14, 2007 at 7:30 am #4468

Thanks for the tips guys ,hopefully it wont be to long before i can get 10 reps out .

cheers

Troy

June 28, 2007 at 12:13 pm #4469

i actually had the same problem, altho this was when i originally started training i could do maybe a set of 3 widegrip chins by myself then a guy that got me into training would spot me, id say the key to improvement is just persistence and it will also improve just through gaining strength from other exercises as well 🙂

July 1, 2007 at 8:05 am #4470

I will disagree there. You can be a great lifter, and as strong as with most lifts and still struggle with chins; they’re a bitch, I hate them…but I still do em’. The only thing that will help is consistency and prioritisation. 😥

January 11, 2008 at 10:10 am #4471

the way i’ve gone about teaching people to chin is straight out of the arnold encyclopedia. just keep going until you can get 30. i let guys have the chair under then just because the bar is pretty high. WITHOUT A SPOT. EVER. PERIOD. KEEP GOING TILL YOU GET 30. then move on to the rest of your workout. that seems to work. the last guy that trained under me couldn’t do ONE. now he knocks out 30 in about 4 sets. that was about 3 months ago. back once a week.

i’ve also read, that if you do, in your case, 1. every time you do a certain thing. eg, every time you walk past your chinning bar, provided its somewhere you go often. upto a max of 5 at a time. i haven’t actually practived that one though.

hope this helps
    -j-

January 12, 2008 at 11:39 pm #4472

@musclejoe wrote:

the way i’ve gone about teaching people to chin is straight out of the arnold encyclopedia. just keep going until you can get 30. i let guys have the chair under then just because the bar is pretty high. WITHOUT A SPOT. EVER. PERIOD. KEEP GOING TILL YOU GET 30. then move on to the rest of your workout. that seems to work. the last guy that trained under me couldn’t do ONE. now he knocks out 30 in about 4 sets. that was about 3 months ago. back once a week.

i’ve also read, that if you do, in your case, 1. every time you do a certain thing. eg, every time you walk past your chinning bar, provided its somewhere you go often. upto a max of 5 at a time. i haven’t actually practived that one though.

hope this helps
    -j-

I think this is reasonable as a general sort of progression rule.

Especially true when working with dumbbells were the weight progression is 2.5kg.

February 4, 2008 at 8:39 am #4473

pay 300 bucks for a cheap lat pull down or a second hand one. hold the bar close (rev grip like ur doing a chin) to work biceps and pull down ur body weight.

I did that for 6 months. I can do 1 set of 20 chins 2 sets of 10-15 total of 3 sets and I weight 85kg’s

20%bf

February 4, 2008 at 8:41 am #4474

with chins…when u do them…u often feel like u cant lift urself up and ur losing grip…but ur not…I can explain it…you just have to pull urself up anyway

man that post was from 8 months ago grr aaarg

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.