Help, I’m new to all this

Home / Forums / Help, I’m New to the Iron Game / Help, I’m new to all this

• This topic is empty.
  • Author

Hi Guys

Good forum by the way and it seems a perfect place for me to help me get started. Here’s the scenario;

I’m 34, weigh 110KG and need to loose about 20KG, maybe 25KG and while I’m young enough, am determined to get rid of it and tone / increase muscle mass etc. As a kid, I had a problem with weight, not massively and was often described as pleasantly plump shall we say! From about the age of 20 to 25, I was normal weight, cycling everyday and going to raves took care of that however once I gave that up, the weight slowly started to come back on again. since then, it has fluctuated and I have never got back to my normal and now, I’m determined to get it off once and for all before it’s too late.

Over the last couple of years, I have been going to the gym fairly regularly and go swimming quite a bit however I have just emigrated to Australia and the process of doing that meant that I got distracted from all the training etc however now I am settled, I can focus on my goal.

I have joined a gym, have enlisted the help of a personal trainer and am watching my diet, i.e. lots of lean meats, less fats, salads and veggies and am drinking lots of water etc. To be fair, i have always eaten reasonably healthy however I do like a beer or two at the weekends. With that, I have stopped drinking in the week and only drink low-carb beer now.

I will be increasing the intensity of my weight training and am starting to notice changes already (it’s quite addictive isn’t it) however want to start using proteins etc to get the best out of it. I went to Mr Vitamins (Chatswood Sydney) at the weekend and finally settled on Max’s Hydroxy Phase+ 1.25KG tub at $80 bucks.

Have I bought the right thing or does anyone recommend anything else ect. Your help would be greatly appreciated on this, I want to change my life and want to put in the right steps to make it happen.

Cheers

Graham

May 27, 2007 at 2:46 am #4419

I went to Mr Vitamins (Chatswood Sydney) at the weekend and finally settled on Max’s Hydroxy Phase+ 1.25KG tub at $80 bucks

Unfortunately you got ripped off 2 ways.
    1. Mr Vitamins is a rip off
    2. Max’s is a rip off aswell.
    Tip, search the internet for the cheapest proteins. Bulk protein is the way to go.
    Cheers

May 27, 2007 at 3:12 am #4420

Thanks ST for the reply. Is there brands, products, websites you would recommend?

Cheers

Graham

May 27, 2007 at 6:23 am #4421

You could start here, or similar bulk protein suppliers. Although I don’t think you should be relying to much on protein supps. Stick to whole foods like eggs, chicken, lean steak, turkey, roo and fish as your protein sources. Have the shake after workout with dextrose and oats.

May 27, 2007 at 11:29 am #4422

i always forget turkey

May 27, 2007 at 11:48 am #4423

Turkey is awesome. Proper turkey that is, don’t get that processed stuff.

May 28, 2007 at 6:34 am #4424

what about shaved turkey from the deli

May 28, 2007 at 7:24 am #4425

I’m pretty sure thats processed, with preservatives and shit.

May 29, 2007 at 1:11 am #4426

@Grahamw wrote:

… am watching my diet, i.e. lots of lean meats, less fats, salads and veggies and am drinking lots of water etc.

Just less bad fats I hope. Good fats should make up about 30% of your calories maybe more if you’re low carbing.

@Grahamw wrote:

To be fair, i have always eaten reasonably healthy however I do like a beer or two at the weekends. With that, I have stopped drinking in the week and only drink low-carb beer now.

Good move. My feeling is that the alcohol is more of a problem than the carbs though.

The single best thing you can do from a supplemental point of view is pre-/post nutrition with a ratio of 1:2 protein to simple carbs even if you’re low carbing. And I’m leaning towards especially if you’re low carbing.

Apart from that stick with lean meats, fish and the underrated whole egg. Fish oil, a little flax seed oil and olive oil.

J

May 29, 2007 at 6:21 am #4427

keep grazing throughout the day to jack up your metabolism.

get some casein to help control your appetite and increase your metabolism.

drink plenty of water.

May 31, 2007 at 4:56 pm #4428

-some good advice i got the other day

if you want a glass of water, nobody is going to get if for you right? You have to get up walk to the glass, pick it up and drink it.

heres the clincher, to be able to do that you have to think about it every minute of every day, you have to think about walking over to the glass, downing it and shattering it with your bare hand.

If your goal is weight loss i reckon you should do your research. + remember your goal. your mind is the most important thing im starting to realize…

June 6, 2007 at 8:38 am #4429

Hi Guys

Many thanks for all of your help, I do appreciate it and i’m fully commited. Have been to the gym every morning this week so far so am on the right track i think..

Cheers

Graham 😀

June 6, 2007 at 9:40 am #4430

@Grahamw wrote:

Hi Guys

Many thanks for all of your help, I do appreciate it and i’m fully commited. Have been to the gym every morning this week so far so am on the right track i think..

Cheers

Graham 😀

That’s great Graham that you’re committed and are seeking advice.
    here’s another bit of advice.
    Do not neglect your rest periods. Eagerness can lead to overtraining pretty quickly. So 4 days per week at the gym I beleive is more than adequate.
    Cheers

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.